[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - post urls - defualt permalinks • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

post urls - defualt permalinks

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

post urls - defualt permalinks

Postby juliewolf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:54 am

Hi Lynn & SSWT Folks,

I plan on editing the below. (Accept my apologize for putting this all below here in the state it is in - too long maybe?). Its here for me to read actually.

I will study the below and come up with focused question(s).

I'm new here and was overwelmed with this topic but have a blog using the Wordpress defaullt permalinks (as I am told its called). It took me all day to get in here. so forgive me for putting my Q in here this way (from skype chats)... but this is all the energy I can muster.

[11:00:53 AM] Lynn Taylors says: there is alot of interesting controversy over permalinks and how they should be set up out there... although most agree that the "default" method is not the way to go... however if you take a look at Lynn Terry's click newz site you will notice that she uses a different method also... Just tossing this out for thought...

TODO JULIE WOLF:

1) Post my Q on Lynn Terry's Forum - the blogging sectionis ' Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging - about my blog urls , I think they are called Permalinks default (stretch) - Today!

Ok whats my Q? LOL
[8:21:40 PM] Tamara Wilson says: which would be better I think it was and how to do it. However I can help you there if you want.

[8:23:56 PM] Julie Wolf says: You can Tam?

[8:25:04 PM] Julie Wolf says: well I have to find a fix for not breaking my old post default links when used in my posts... once I change over

[8:25:36 PM] Tamara Wilson says: how many are out there floating in cyber space?

[8:25:38 PM] Julie Wolf says: the category thing is ...added info I wasnt even considering or knew about

[8:25:59 PM] Julie Wolf says: I made 379 posts so far

[8:26:15 PM] Tamara Wilson says: No How many of your links to your blog posts are out there?

[8:26:16 PM] Julie Wolf says: so ... some are used as links on posts

[8:27:02 PM] Tamara Wilson says: If it isnt many I wouldnt worry.

As far as changing past urls it does it automaticly that, your navigation/menu

[8:27:15 PM] Julie Wolf says: out where? I mostly just post to my blog... the only thing that is out there... I think (meaning other then my blog)... wheres Hyla?

[8:27:43 PM] Julie Wolf says: navigation menu?

[8:27:47 PM] Tamara Wilson says: Out on other sites or blogs to your posts

[8:27:49 PM] Julie Wolf says: waht naigation menu?
look at my blog

[8:28:03 PM] Julie Wolf says: http://incomeassruance.com/blog

[8:29:09 PM] Tamara Wilson says: Category Subscriptions

* About Julie Wolf
* Skypes Tips Blog Subscription
* Subscribe to This Blog for Training Tips & Blog Updates - read all about it below

[8:29:36 PM] Julie Wolf says: moslty just that url for my blog... which will also be a problem I suppose when we put my blog on my Home page

[8:29:59 PM] Tamara Wilson says: is your in bound links/navbar/menu what ever you want o call it.

The fix willautomaticly

[8:30:16 PM] Tamara Wilson says: Then changing the permilink isnt going to matter

[8:30:27 PM] Julie Wolf says: Im not sure thats gonna fix it actually

[8:30:54 PM] Tamara Wilson says: fix what?

[8:31:13 PM] Julie Wolf says: ok fix the links in my posts to my posts

[8:31:36 PM] Tamara Wilson says: What I am saying is changing the permilink with two clicks is all it takes youdo not have to change any of the posts or pages unless they have the exact same name

[8:31:51 PM] Tamara Wilson says: so it changes it from the first post NOT from today

[8:32:32 PM] Julie Wolf says: that would be a relief but let me mkae sure I ...we are talking about the same "problem"

[8:33:11 PM] Julie Wolf says: right now... the urls for the posts look like this:

http://incomeassruance.com/blog/?p=1234 for example

[8:35:28 PM] Julie Wolf says: when I make the title be part of the url instead of a number 1234 for Ex... then whereever I linked to a /blog/?p=1234 when that link is clicked... it will "know" to go to the new url with words from the title?

And then when I move my blog from incomeassurance.com/blog to my home page (incomeassurance.com) .... will the links still go to the new post url?

[8:35:47 PM] Tamara Wilson says: Yes it will make the change automaticly

[8:36:26 PM] Tamara Wilson says:
And yes

[8:37:59 PM] Tamara Wilson says: the settings change past present and future posts and moving it wont matter it will 'go' with it

[8:38:00 PM] Hyla Weimann says: It would be lovely to get such a quick way of fixing the problem, Julie

[8:41:05 PM] Julie Wolf says: Russ is surprised at your answer Tamara... but hmmm... I wonder if we can test it to see if its true... not that I dont trust you Tam... just this would be a big mess if it breaks all my blog post and cat links in all 379 posts

[8:42:36 PM] Tamara Wilson says: make sure you chmod your .htaccess file first or it wont change anything

[8:42:38 PM] Julie Wolf says: Russ says we have to go to bed now... we will travel to Seattel again tmorrow early early

[8:42:50 PM] Julie Wolf says: chmod?

[8:43:15 PM] Tamara Wilson says: ok Tomorrow I can show on one of the blogs I am going to delete how it changes with out messing anything up if you would like before you do it

[8:43:37 PM] Julie Wolf says: oh wonderful!

[8:44:38 PM] Tamara Wilson says: control panel>file manager> public_html>.htacccess then the right side of the page click on properites then click all the boxes

[8:45:28 PM] Tamara Wilson says: it is allowing something to change that file. then when you get done with the change to the permilinks, then change the htaccess file again

[8:47:52 PM] Julie Wolf says: ok I cant wait to do this tomorrow

Other feedback I got:
---------------------------------

[11:00:53 AM] Lynn Taylors says: there is alot of interesting controversy over permalinks and how they should be set up out there... although most agree that the "default" method is not the way to go... however if you take a look at Lynn Terry's click newz site you will notice that she uses a different method also... here is a good discussion in the comments about permalink structure for your urls... you may want to read through it... http://www.dailyblogtips.com/optimal-url-structure/

[12:41:54 PM] Cynthia Mosher says: Just throwing this in there - if you read a bit in Lynn Terry's forum on this topic you'll find where she says that she wants to change her links to permalinks using the /category/post-title structure if I recall correctly. :) (Where Cynthia?)

[12:47:58 PM] Lynn Taylors says: Interesting... that's what I'm currently using... I had thought about changing it to just the %postname% but decided to leave as /%category%/%postname% instead..

Roys BOOKMARK: Lynn said: I had thought about changing it to just the %postname% but decided to leave as /%category%/%postname% instead ... -->> Why Lynn? I have a good reasons NOT to do it this way. I'll share them at the next voice chat.

I'm just saying that it appears that theres alot of controversy out there even when it comes to SEO...and not even all the top blogging sites follow the same rules with regards to SEO even..
[1:53:53 PM] Lynn Taylors says: also if you just use %postname% you have to be careful you don't have two posts with the same name
[1:56:01 PM] Roy Montero The SEO & Blog Guy - 760-378-2539 CA PST Online Since 1996 says: oh I know Lynn, my suggestions are just that and so I don't want to come across that I am saying I want you to do it my way ... It's just that if you do it my way then you will get better ranking points for your keywords is all
[1:57:33 PM] Lynn Taylors says: there is an interesting article on http://www.dailyblogtips.com where they interview one of the developers at Google with regards to blogging and SEO.. I'll have to find it again and post the link... I have to run right now and pick my duaghter up...
[1:58:20 PM] Roy Montero The SEO & Blog Guy - 760-378-2539 CA PST Online Since 1996 says: sure
[1:58:29 PM] Lynn Taylors says: Roy, if you use keywords in your cateogies... and then used the categories in your permalinks... wouldn't you be ok that way?

[2:00:11 PM] Roy Montero The SEO & Blog Guy - 760-378-2539 CA PST Online Since 1996 says: no

[3:54:29 PM] Lynn Taylors says: here is that link to Matt Cutt's conference clip about SEO tips for bloggers... http://www.dailyblogtips.com/seo-advice ... ses-mouth/
[3:55:50 PM] Lynn Taylors says: the interesing part about this... is when looking for this post... I couldn't get to it.. because DailyBlogTips is going through and replacing all their permalinks with postname only, instead of category and postname... so their link was temporarily broken! Too Funny! so another site going to postname only!
juliewolf

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:23 pm

theuniek1

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging