[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Would like to have explained • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Would like to have explained

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Would like to have explained

Postby nar321 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:57 pm

First thing I would like explained is a step by step guide as to how to make available a PDF as a download. In my case I found a PDF that the owner allows the needed rights to do anything short of actually modifying the content. Even though I used the proper steps to upload it, the PDF never opens when clicked, so I did something wrong and hence the request for a walk through of the process. Or prehaps better put it sits like a lump of coal and nothing happens when the hyperlink is clicked.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby bethparker » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:19 pm

First, double-check to make sure you haven't made any typos in the URL. That's easy to do.

Next, make sure you don't have any spaces in the filename. Depending on your server, those can mess things up.

For a .pdf file, your download link should be done the same way as any other hyperlink. If you left-click the link, the .pdf should open in the browser window, and if you right-click you can choose to save it to your hard drive.

Example Code for link:

<a href="http://www.yourdomain.com/filename.pdf">http://www.yourdomain.com/filename.pdf</a>

I hope that helps.

Beth Parker
bethparker

Postby nar321 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:36 am

nar321
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:28 am

Can you give us a link to the page where you put the hyperlink?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby nar321 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:25 pm

nar321
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:57 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby nar321 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Just so I understand the url should be along the lines of what Beth Parker posted, right?
nar321
Elite Member

Postby AlexNewell » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:30 pm

An example might help.

I wrote a Special Report for my members titled "7 Secrets Every Newbie Needs To Know".

I typed it in MS Word and then used OpenOffice to make a pdf

The file name was "7secretsguide.pdf"

I then uploaded it to the root of my domain http://www.newbie-on-the-net.com

So to download the file you need a link to http://www.newbie-on-the-net.com/7secretsguide.pdf

And you can construct that as Beth showed or any way that is correct in the context of the page you are on

Hope that Helps

:)

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:24 pm

Thanks for the reply,Will print it out and use it. Right now my biggest problem for the domain I was going to put any PDF's on, is a upgrade problem namely no skin after a automatic upgrader supplied by the developer

I have reported it and have even had considerable phone help up to and inculding a new database. However when I activate the skin supplied with the package there is no color. It's hosted with Hostgator and I am awaiting approval of my pending application for there forums.I am presently using a WP theme which inculdes a skin which works.Go figure
nar321
Elite Member

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging