[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - wordpress novice questions on blogs..... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

wordpress novice questions on blogs.....

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

wordpress novice questions on blogs.....

Postby edwinnyc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:24 pm

1) Why do they call wordpress a CMS system what makes it a CMS system

2) When you set up a blog is it also a forum or similar to it, if so how so.......... if not why not...

3) Can one control who besides the webmaster blogs on the site, or there is no control and anyone can come to a blog site and blog
edwinnyc

continuation of wordpress questions

Postby edwinnyc » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:26 pm

4) What makes be able to create static blogs

5) WP data feeders what are they really and what essentially is the importance of it.

6) what are WP weaknesses and strengths when it comes to comparing it against html editors as dreamweaver and frontpage

NOTE: LYNN is this what you meant to limiting 3 questions within a thread and not starting a new one....... :?
edwinnyc

Postby Mommyland » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:13 pm

Ill see how I can help

1) CMS is Content Management System wordpress manages your content for you. So your not uploading each new page/post you want to do its all done in the admin.

2) No forums and blog are seperate however there are several bridges if you choose to go that route it is not necessary though. you can have them seperate and things can be successful that way.

3) If I am understanding correctly the Admin/owner has control over everything what is public and what is only for members. You can also have moderators who can also make some changes based on the privilages the admin gives them.

4) Not sure I am thinking about looking more in to detail about that.

5)No clue

6) Wordpress/blogs are alot easier to maintain vs a HTML website. They get indexed alot faster, It does help if you know some HTML with wordpress to modify themes and what not but not necessary. Your not having to upload your site or changes after every change just hitting save.
Mommyland
Elite Member

Re: continuation of wordpress questions

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:51 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

still confused on some things related to blogs

Postby edwinnyc » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:52 am

edwinnyc

Re: continuation of wordpress questions

Postby LaneLester » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:58 am

LaneLester

To Use Wordpress of Frontpage editor

Postby edwinnyc » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:20 pm

I am working on setting up an affilate program very soon, and realized now from all the reading I have done here at sswt today since this morning, concering affiliate marketing, that tools like WP data feed and other tools make affilate marketing more simple..

Ok with that my question is now this, I would like to set up my 1st site with wordpress but afraid it may be a slower process to get up a site since I will to read the manual training for wp and listen to the videos, so my thinking is this if I were to set up a site 1st with frontpage how much problems will have in switching that site to wordpress

If wordpress is not difficult to set up a site and you think it is worth starting with wordpress please let me know what kind of problems I may have learning it, and if I were to buy Teli adams course on wordpress if any have read it, will teli course allow me to move quickly if so how quickly 1 week, 1 month etcccc but also tell me the disadvantages of not using frontpage if any

What makes this wordpress static blogging software so important to affiliate marketer it is being sold as a course
edwinnyc

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:27 pm

You cant really switch from Frontpage to WordPress. If you want to create a blog, just start with Wordpress. Its not that difficult, and you can learn as you go. The best way to learn is to set it up and get your feet wet with it ;)

Teli's course is awesome for starting out and getting set up. I used it myself several times in a row until I got the hang of it.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

I do not believe I want a interactive site but..

Postby edwinnyc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:32 pm

I do not believe I want an interacitve site for this project, what benefits would I get from setting up wordpress as a static site, can it be made semi interactive or full interactive later if I wish, any thing else on how I could benefit from setting up a site with wordpress.

Lynn, what I am trying to weigh out is simply is there any immediate seo benefit by building my site with wordpress as opposed with frontpage in a static format, by it getting indexed faster I believe by submitting it to the blog directories or something like this, as opposed to frontpage.

Or can I get frontpage indexed just as quick if I knew what I was doing.......... :oops: ......lol

:roll: ..........my eye balls are popping out all of this ....lol
edwinnyc

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:04 pm

It really depends on what kind of site you want to set up, Edwin...

But to answer your question, see: http://www.clicknewz.com/social-networking/
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby ChristyK » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:20 am

Edwin.. Here's something you really need to consider with Frontpage vs WordPress. You have to create all of your internal linking with FrontPage. That means everytime you add a new page you need upload your new files, and add it to your navigation. And hopefully you know how to do server side includes so that you only have to add that link to one file and not change every page of your site to include a link to the new page.

With WordPress - set up as a traditional blog or designed to look more like a site designed with something like FrontPage - you log in, add a title and content plus any features you want on that page like comments and hit submit. No uploading and the WP platform takes care of creating all of the internal linking and then 'pings' the blog directories (tells them you've added new content) which helps with indexing and traffic.

If you don't want to go with WordPress then maybe put out the money for something like xcitepro or Dr Andy William's Seo Site Builder.

Christy
ChristyK
Elite Member

Hi christy...

Postby edwinnyc » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:19 pm

edwinnyc

Postby ChristyK » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:41 pm

ChristyK
Elite Member

Postby JudithStep » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:14 pm

Hi Edwin,

As you decide which vehicle to use, you'll want to remember that FrontPage is no longer supported by Microsoft. It's considered old technology. WordPress is newer, flexible, easier to learn and is open sourced ... which means a broader base of people will work with it.

It appears that making time to learn WordPress now is the better investment. I hope so. :)
JudithStep
Elite Member

Front page vs Word Press

Postby nar321 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:43 pm

Your trying to compare apples and oranges. Front Page is WYSIWYG(What you see is what you get) editor. Word press is a complete package or in other words if you do the required things you have a place on the Internet. All you have with Front Page is a no longer supported Microsoft tool for editing Web pages.
nar321
Elite Member

Next

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging