[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Wordpress theme help • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Wordpress theme help

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Wordpress theme help

Postby JeanM » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:25 pm

Hello to all

I have put this off, so I would not feel stupid, but....... I need help changing my theme in my WP blog. I used fantasico to put wp on my site, I am hosting with Hostgator. I have downloaded a theme, uploaded thru the cpanel, then I am stuck. How do I get this theme to my blogsite? Hopefully this will make some sense to someone?!

I do appreciate the help!

JeanM
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:32 am

did you put the theme into the correct them folder in the wp folder?

if so, then you just go to your wp admin panel, to the themes section and turn it on.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby JeanM » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:11 pm

I have finally got a second to check back in for help. I do have the files for the theme in my wp themes folder, but when I go to change them in wp admin, I do not see them. I extracted the file as they were in a zipped folder, but just do not know what I am doing wrong......
Thanks for any ideas!
JeanM
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby Mommyland » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:41 pm

Mommyland
Elite Member

Postby JeanM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:11 pm

I am still trying.... Tamara thanks for the details you gave in another post about uploading plugins. I was following it trying to see what I was doing wrong. I realized that when I see the public_html folder, right below it is a folder that says wp themes. This folder has all the files I have been downloading.

I have now discovered that when I click on wp contents folder, there is another wp themes folder.....in that is where the 2 original themes are that I have access too. Now how do I get the files I have downloaded to the correct folder? I am not very good at explaining this, but hopefully someone will be able to help...This is my lesson in patience!

Thanks
Jean
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby Mommyland » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:38 pm

The folder you need is public_html>wp-content>themes. Then put the whole folder there. Like I said before make sure that its the folder that when you open it its the files not another folder. :)

To Move a folder click the folder link (Not the folder itself just the word(s) ) then on the right side of the screen there will be a list of what you can do then hit move there. That is if your in the Cpanel.

If your using A FTP It may be easier to delete the file that is not in the public html folder then reupload it there.
Mommyland
Elite Member

Postby JeanM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:59 pm

Tamara
I just tried to move the wpthemes folder and it would not let me, it said invalid argument......I guess trying to move a folder with the same name....can I rename the one that I am trying to move? Do you think that will work?

Thanks again!

Jean
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby JeanM » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:24 pm

I renamed the second wptheme folder to downloaded themes, clicked on the right side, then clicked move folder......went to public-html>wp content>themes, then clicked on move folder again, and nothing is happening. I tried it a couple of times. I give up for tonight and maybe I will be a little fresher?? or something in the morning! I know there is some little something I am missing, this cannot be that complicated!

Thanks and good night!
Jean
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby JeanM » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Yea I finally got my theme uploaded! I appreciate the help! Once I got it in the right folder it was easy! Thanks for the help!
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby Mommyland » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:44 pm

I am glad you got it. I missed your last post sorry :)
Mommyland
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:44 pm

In case anyone else comes across this thread, I'd like to add a few minor details on theme installation.

1. Download and unzip the theme you wish to use. (It should be in a top level folder -- i.e. /my-theme/ and not /my-theme/my-theme/)

2. Upload the entire theme folder (i.e. /my-theme/) to your /public_html/blog-directory*/wp-content/themes/ folder.

*/blog-directory/ is where you have your WP files installed. It may be installed directly in your public_html or www folder.

3. Assuming that the theme is constructed properly, you should them be able to log into your WP admin panel, click on Presentation and see the theme listed as an option.

Using an FTP program, such as , will certainly make this process much easier than trying to create folders/upload files directly through the cPanel interface.

The reason I added the bit of information is because others who come across this thread may be confused on the actual process of installing and activating a theme.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging