[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Approving Comments • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Approving Comments

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Approving Comments

Postby queenofkaos » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:52 am

Hi

I am wondering if there is a recommendation on how strict to be with allowed comments?

I need to approve them first as most people do I assume with so much spam, but I am finding that that there are a few that I am not really sure because the poster has taken the time to write a "real" comment or even small advice but I'm not really fussy on the link that it goes to.

Is it terribly rude to not approve a comment because of this? One of my blogs is for WAHM's and I really prefer not to have links to sales pages for items that don't really look great to me. I prefer to keep the standard up to my own liking for my blog.

Also, how about if they are going to a content/links page full of offers for a similar product that you are selling in your post?

It probably comes down to my own choice, but I'm not really sure what the general blogging "etiquette" is for this.

Thanks,
Jan Ferrante

http://www.queenofkaos.com/WAHMblog
http://www.queenofkaos.com/at-home-blog
queenofkaos
Elite Member

Postby MommyEnterprises » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:34 pm

I think it is up to you on what comments you approve and what you delete. I approve most of mine that are real comments where you can tell the visitor actually read the post they are commenting on.
MommyEnterprises

Postby Anita DeFrank » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:00 pm

Yep Jan, it really is up to you. However, I will share what I do on my own blog ;)

First of all, the links. Are they links in the comments themselves, or are they links in the names? If they are links within the comment itself and I don't care for the page it goes to, then more than likely it's going to get deleted. Sure, you might upset a person or two but always remember, it's your reputation on the line.

If they are links in the "names' of the commenter, I might be a little more lenient - depending on the comment itself. You said that they were "real comments"? As in a piece of useful information? If they are quality comments, I do tend to let them go through. That is if the link is in the name. If it's in the comment itself, I would probably edit the comment and delete the portion with the link. Again, it's probably bound to upset someone ... but it's my rep.

In other instances, I will get the same reader posting "great topic" or "great post" or something of the likes. I will let it go a time or two but, if it becomes a "regular thing", I will edit the comment by deleting their link in their name. The comment and the name will still show but the link will not.

I also tend to get a handful of comments that virtually worthless. In those cases, I usually delete the comment all together.

I'm a firm believer in the U Comment - I Follow Movement but, I hate spam and I hate "sneaky spam" even more :lol:

As you can tell, there's really many different ways to look at it but ... I can't stress it enough, it's your blog and your reputation. You make the judgement you feel the best about ;)

Take care,
Anita :P
Anita DeFrank

Postby JosephRatliff » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:22 pm

I guess I am from a different school on accepting comments on a blog...and this is just my opinion but...

With the exception of spam comments that Akismet picks up...I allow 99% of the comments provided to be posted.

Why?

If you have too many "rules" when you accept/deny comments...then people may stop commenting altogether. Also, having a link in a comment, that leads to a site not altogether matching your idea of content, wouldn't detract from your blog at all...and who would you be to tell your visitors what they can and cannot see when clicking a link from your comments? Your visitors can decide for themselves. Naturally, if complaints arise, you handle those on an individual basis.

Now the 1% exception...

Anything that is distasteful (for example ****), or a comment that is a blatent advertisement and provides no useful content at all to your readership...those I would not allow personally...unless my blog post was centered around allowing blatent promotion (still, no distasteful comments).

Just my two cents.
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby Anita DeFrank » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:39 pm

Definitely good points Joseph, and you're right, my readers do have the right to choose to click or not to click. I just worry that my readers will think it's something I'm allowing to be promoted. If I don't feel it's right or it's "iffy" to me and I don't have the time to really check it out ... I usually get rid of it. (Again, just my opinion and what I do on my own blog.) Just my thinking but I don't want one of my readers to get mixed up with some scammy "get rich scheme" just because they clicked on a link from my blog. Maybe this is because of the type of blog I have and that's the type of commenters I seem to attract :lol:

(Jan, mine too is a wahm blog so I'm sure you know what I mean by those types of commenters, lol!)

Later!
Anita :P
Anita DeFrank

Postby queenofkaos » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:33 pm

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate your input, some very good points at different ends of the spectrum, that's why it's a little difficult.

I think that for me, since it is a fairly focused market that I would prefer to keep the comments within range for Mom's, not saying that I will be militant about it, there are plenty of good sites and resources that are not "mom resources", but I don't think I need to list every one, especially if they are not links that I would promote otherwise.

I do want the blog to be a place where mom's can get good, targeted info, not a catch all for anything internet that they need to wade through.

As long as the comment is a relevant addition that sits right with me, I will probably put it through. Right now I hardly have any, so all will stick out, when I have more it probably won't be such a huge issue.

Bottomline I guess I don't like to not allow commenter's who have taken the time to visit and comment, but I am responsible for the content and direction of the site and have worked hard on it, so a few borderline comments may not make it.

I think that is something in the whole area of being successful in business that is necessary, to have boundaries in the best interest of the business and being able to enforce them in a reasonable way.

OK, enough rambling now :0)

Thanks again,
Jan

http://www.queenofkaos.com/WAHMblog
http://www.queenofkaos.com/at-home-blog
queenofkaos
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:52 pm

First, if you are not using Akismet to automate your spam control, then do that. If you use WordPress its probably already installed in your plugins tab. All you have to do is activate it. You will LOVE it ;)

Everything else has pretty much been covered, and I agree with editing hyperlinks within the comment itself when necessary. Other than that (links to the author, for example) I let legit comments through without much question.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging