This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Blogging and advertising

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Blogging and advertising

Postby LarryC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:09 pm

I was going to use Wordpress.com (the web-based Wordpress, not the one that you download to your own site, which I've already done for another blog) to advertise items from an Ebay affiliate site but then I noticed that ads are against Wordpress.com's terms of service. I was wondering in general how strict blogging sites are about ads, especially those with affiliate links. I am in particular looking for a place to put ads for this Ebay affiliate site that I purchased a while back, that constantly updates real estate listings, but I don't want to have my blog removed for violations. I could always purchase another domain and set up a Wordpress blog on it, but I know people do make money by using blogging sites. Are any in particular affiliate-friendly or at least tolerant of affiliate ads?
LarryC

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:20 pm

This is a different venture than the blog you just set up on HostGator?

If so, you might consider blogger - I used to put affiliate links on my blog there without problem. That said, they do regularly delete "spammy blogs" from their servers, so there are no guarantees it will stay. Your best bet is to host the 2nd blog on your same HostGator account since you can host unlimited domains/sites/blogs on the one account, and just get a new domain name to point to that one.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:06 pm

I would suggest registering a domain and hosting your own blog. I wouldn't use Ebay in your domain name though.
MommyEnterprises

Postby LarryC » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Lynn, yes this is a different blog idea for a "turnkey" real estate Ebay site I bought a few months ago. I'm not sure if it's even a viable business, as I've sent the site to many directories and so far have not gotten any commissions. But in general I think I will take your advice and use my own domains under my Hostgator account.

Stefani, yes, I did some research on using the Ebay name and it's against their policies.
LarryC

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging