[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - My Newsletter Idea • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

My Newsletter Idea

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

My Newsletter Idea

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 9:33 pm

I'm so excited that I finally found a place where I can talk about my online newsletter idea. Who better to discuss it with than Lynn Terry, quite possibly the third most well-known newsletter authority in the web-wide world?

My idea--and woe unto you if you filch, purloin, or otherwise heist it--is to put out a newsletter about billionaires. Sound weird? Maybe that's because it doesn't exist yet! But I, for one, find billionaires absolutely fascinating: I plan to be one myself (only 999,999,999 dollars to go!), and I study them closely: all 476 of them (Oprah is #476, btw). So far, though, I haven't found an online site devoted to chronicling their activities.

I have reserved the domain name billionairenews.com. What's my next exciting, fun-filled step?

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu May 15, 2003 10:33 pm

WOW! I love it!! :D And the domain name is perfect!!

Your next step is to begin working on the copy for a mini site, and then the layout & design. Choose a color scheme...

You'll want to start compiling content for your first few issues... research your targeted market...

Let's talk - this is going to be a super-fun project!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

awesome

Postby Guest » Thu May 15, 2003 10:42 pm

I knew this was the place to launch my newsletter project! I've worked with Lynn on other stuff and she is absolutely the best. I wouldn't want to work with anyone else.

I agree: I need to compile content for the first few issues, and I have plenty of material collected for that.

Then hopefully I can work with you on the website--I realize you're busy with oodles of clients, but again, having seen the websites you've designed, I really wouldn't want to use anyone else.

As for the color scheme, you'll have to help me there--I'm a wee bit color-blind! :)

Looking forward to making my newsletter dream a reality! :D [/i]

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 16, 2003 8:08 am

Great Emit, I'd LOVE to work with you on this project! :D As for colors... I'm thinking something RICH... teal and gold... forest green and beige... taupe and mulberry... deep contrast with a lot of white space and black text...

Just some thoughts!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

nice colors

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 5:51 pm

Those colors sound great! Some of them sound delicious, actually...

Lynn, should we talk more about this project off-line, or continue discussing it here?

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 16, 2003 6:41 pm

I think here is fine... I'm sure a few other members will join in and offer their expertise to help pull this project together into a successful launch.

Have you considered what format you want to use to publish your newsletter? Ross and I were just chatting (in another thread) about plain text versus HTML.

Some other points to consider:

- How often will you publish: weekly/monthly/quarterly?

- What are your potential streams of income?

- Who is your targeted market - describe your ideal subscriber

You must have a primary focus and a long-term action plan in order to make any venture successful. Ask yourself, "How am I going to earn revenue from this project" and form your plans around that answer.

There are lots of options for newsletters... scripts that handle automatic subscribe/unsubscribe requests are real handy - and you also want to be able to log each of these (in case of future issues with the dreaded "SpamCop 8) " ). If you use my recommended web hosting service ( http://www.WebServiceNetwork.com/hosting.htm - Her Web Host, and no they are not biased ;) ) this script will come free with your package - the same package you use to host the associated website.

Three things you'll want to spend the majority of your creative time on:

1) web copy
2) subscription confirmation page
3) subscription confirmation email

We'll talk about these as we get further along in the project :D

Hope that gives you a good starting point! You are welcome to email me if you'd like to continue a little less publicly - but I'm sure there are several who would love to watch this project unfold and learn from it.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri May 16, 2003 6:54 pm

This is great stuff--it's so good to be working with a true professional who knows exactly what steps need to be taken to take this idea from concept to reality!

I'm going to print this message out, study it, consider the questions you've raised, come up with some answers, and then come back and continue this discussion here--I agree with you it would be great to get input from others here.

In particular, I'd be interested to know the opinions of the people here about whether they think my newsletter idea sounds good, interesting, etc. and in general, their initial thoughts and impressions about it.

Thanks! :)

--Emit

Re: My Newsletter Idea

Postby flensborg » Sat May 17, 2003 8:29 am

flensborg

ah yes

Postby Guest » Tue May 20, 2003 1:13 am

I think I know the test you mean, Flensborg: five or six joke questions, right? I took that "test" one time, thinking it was real, but it was a joke.

Actually, the link you posted leads to something else, a book review. But thanks, it was an amusing review! :)

I like Forbes.com because they provide more billionaire info than anyone else out there.

That's all going to change when my newsletter hits the scene, though!

Contact!

Postby GoalsMagic » Tue May 20, 2003 3:47 am

Emit-Flesti .... what a great idea! I think if you can develop quality content you could turn this into a membership site with a monthly subscription fee!

I see you have two distinct challenges:

1/ Build an audience. Your at the right place to do that right here. Im sure Lynn and others here have an abundance of ideas to help you here. Put me down as a subscriber ;)

2/ Quality Content - This I see as your biggest challenge. How many billionaires do you have relationships with or access to?

Do you have the list of all billionaires ? Can you access their contact details ? What strategies do you have to contact, interview and extract content from them?

IDEA => What about a recorded interview each month with a new billionaire. Pay a yearly subscription fee for a monthly CD featuring an interview with this months billionaire. How much would people pay for this type of content? Of the top of my head I would pay $995 per year for arguments sake if the quality of the interviews and content was first rate.

Just a thought ! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Emit .... have your clearly defined your goals with project? Have you developed the plans and support goals? Given consideration to the obstacles you have to overcome, and the resources you will need access to ?

Regards
Rod Moore
GoalsMagic

Re: ah yes

Postby flensborg » Tue May 20, 2003 11:06 am

flensborg

Postby Sharon & Roy » Tue May 20, 2003 2:05 pm

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby Guest » Fri May 23, 2003 1:12 am

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri May 23, 2003 9:03 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

lol

Postby Guest » Sun May 25, 2003 6:39 pm

LOL great idea, Lynn! :)

Matter of fact, why don't you all become billionaires so I can interview you? This solution not only gives me easy access to billionaires, but it "puts a little money in your pocket" in the process--a win/win solution! :)

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders