This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Tracking subscriber-downloaded *freebies*

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Tracking subscriber-downloaded *freebies*

Postby Teena » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:09 pm

In regard to a newsletter list, I'm wondering how everyone manages any *freebies* or *downloads* by their subscribers.

A few months back I joined a newsletter and in each email was a link for a *freebie* of some kind, which always took me to a shopping cart where the product cost $0. I had to fill in my details each time, and I know this was probably the best way the site owner knew how to track people who downloaded. It was annoying, but I was interested in the downloads.

I've now got a few freebies of my own I'd like to offer my eZine subscribers, and wondered if anyone else has an easy way to track who downloads what.

I thought I might be able to take them to a "sign up" page where their name and email might be captured [by my autoresponder service] before they go to the download page, but I don't want to have problems if their email name is already in my database.

Does anyone out there have a cool way to do this? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Cheers
Teena!
Teena

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:09 am

I'd be interested in hearing responses to this...

Personally, I just offer the direct download link and then check my stats each month to see how often those files were accessed. It's not something I have great reason to track, though...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Download Center Lite

Postby Tom Fosson » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:40 pm

I ran across this while searching for a way of protecting digital downloads. It may just provide the tracking you need - and it's fr@@ if you don't mind the company link. :)

http://www.stadtaus.com/en/php_scripts/ ... nter_lite/

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Fosson

Postby avrr » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:21 pm

You need a click traker which tells you the ip, time, date and mostly on which page they clicked.
avrr

Postby Teena » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:46 pm

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all the feedback. I guess the point is that it might not be necessary to track downloads. I had thought it would be a good marketing exercise to know who downloaded what, but maybe not.

Cheers
Teena!
Teena

Postby kidino » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:54 am

In tracking file downloads, I just use a direct link. To know how many times it has been downloaded, I look at the website traffic statistics and see how many hits I got.

I don't like what your ezine editor is doing, forcing people to re-register for the download. I think he's doing this, not to track downloads but to segment his readers into a separate list. When you go through that form just to get the download, maybe there's a script at the back the actually does that. Now he has separate lists with according to the interests of his readers.

I am not going to into that right now. Let me just tell you about the other simple ways you can use to track downloads.

If you want a more advance method, you can install a file download manager. You can try browsing this directory here:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_a ... index.html

Alternatively, you can also use a click-tracking script. That way you can track how many times the URL to you download has been accessed.

About whether you should or you should not, I think you should. But don't get too stressed out about it. When you track downloads, you know how's the response that you are getting from your readers. And then you'll know whether the thing that you are offering is something that your readers would like or not.

Alright, I hope I am answering your question here.

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_a ... index.html
kidino
Elite Member

Postby Teena » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi there kidino,

Many thanks for this link - a wealth of free link tracking software download options. And thanks too for your thoughts on this.

Cheers
Teena
Teena

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders