This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Is this legit for the optin process?

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Is this legit for the optin process?

Postby RKramkowski » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:19 pm

We've got a blog going and are using a plugin that lets people get notified when there's been a new post. It is set up so that we sent them an email that they then have to click the link to be subscribed to the notifications (standard optin process).

Does this constitute enough for us to add them to our emailing list for new products, newsletters, etc. or should that be done as a separate optin?

Thanks,
Bob
RKramkowski

Postby KansasDragon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 pm

Making sure I'm following you. You have a double opt-in mechanism in place for your Blog Post Notification system, but the sign up process for it does not include any mention of getting newsletters, product announcements, etc.

I'd say you need a second opt-in.

But, I think it's perfectly acceptable to promote your newsletters, and other opt-in lists to your blog notification list, telling them since they enjoy your blog, they might also be interested in.....

Also, I'd assume you're promoting products and your newsletter in your blog, so if you're blog notifications gets them to your blog, you can promote them signing up for the other items there, also.
KansasDragon

Postby RKramkowski » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Again, thanks Barry and Ann,

I like that thinking. It makes sense. Two optins it is.. one for post notification and then at the site/blog, we'll offer them something to optin to the newsletter. We probably will market the newsletter to those that get the notifications but do it relatively infrequently since we don't want people unsubscribing from the post signup.

Bob
RKramkowski

Postby robert adams » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:53 pm

I am a little confused. Does your blog software require a double optin to sign up for the notification?

In most all bulletin board software, that is simply a check box in your profile. Once you have opted in to the board by registering, then you can simply choose to get the emails of notification.

I am surprised if blog software is different.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders