This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How to build list with Aweber by giving away free stuff?

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How to build list with Aweber by giving away free stuff?

Postby kiatlc » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:09 am

Since I am new to Aweber (I have just subscribed), I would like to know that, how can I build an Email List by giving away the free report?

Actually I build this list for the purpose of notifying my blog readers abt an ebook I am going to launch in next month. This ebook is not free, and I plan to give first 30 pre-orders a great discount. I would like to use this as my communication channel with those who are my potential customers. I will soft sell them along the way and encourage them to be my future affiliate.

I am asking abt the actual steps to take, the sequence.

Lets say I create a landing page to promote my newsletter, and I promise to give them the download link if they signup with me.

So is it an autoresponder mailing list? But I don't wana make all the communication automatic, I wana add latest updates of the progress of my ebook when I feel needed.

So what step by step should I take?
kiatlc

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:51 am

First, you will want to create a few web pages. You need a confirmation page that the subscriber is forwarded to once they subscribe. This page will thank them for subscribing and tell them to watch for a confirmation email that will arrive within minutes - and instruct them to confirm their subscription in order to receive the download link.

The next page you create is the download page. This will let them know that their subscription was successfully confirmed and will contain the download link.

Go in to your Aweber account and create/edit the verification message (List Settings > Verified Opt-in). This is the email your subscriber receives when they subscribe to your mailing list. It asks them to confirm their subscription - personalize it to mention that they will receive the download link when they click that link.

Now scroll to the bottom of that same page. Put the link to your download page in the field for "Confirmation Success Page"

Next go to Messages > Follow-up and create a follow-up message that welcomes them to your list and gives them the link to the download page. This will automatically go out to everyone that subscribes - its automated.

Anytime you want to email your list, go to Messages > Broadcast.

That's it! :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kiatlc » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:54 pm

Thx Lynn, u r very helpful, I will have a try.

I use wordpress as my website. I know how to create page, just i m not sure how to hide this page (not show up in my Page List) yet when i give out the link, the visitor can see it (not private, just hidden)?
kiatlc

Postby theuniek1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:02 pm

kiatlc wrote:...i m not sure how to hide this page (not show up in my Page List) yet when i give out the link, the visitor can see it (not private, just hidden)?

You'll need to modify a tiny bit of code in your WP theme. Since I can't see your site and don't know which theme you're using, I can only give you some basic instructions.

1. Go into Manage->Pages on your WP admin panel and make a note of the ID number next to the page you wish to hide.
2. Open the necessary theme file in a plain text editor (i.e. Notepad, Notepad++, PSPad) and find <?php wp_list_pages(); ?> -- note that it may contain some information within the (), such as wp_list_pages('title_li=') or more, do not delete that.

3. Add the following bit of code between the (): exclude=#. So, it should now look like wp_list_pages('exclude=#'). If there is something else within the (), then add &exclude=# to the end of it. So, it should look like wp_list_pages('title_li=&exclude=#').

Make sure to replace # with the ID number of the post you wish to exclude from your list of pages.

There's also a plugin called Page Link Management which allows you a little more flexibility on the page display from the WP admin panel. Downside is that it relies on a plugin being activated and should you decide to stop using the plugin in the future, then your page display will stop working.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:57 pm

You can also create a web page and just upload it to your hosting account. It wont have the theme of your blog, but it gives you more control if you need it.

Here is an example, which is a page I created in an HTML editor and then uploaded to my server:
http://www.clicknewz.com/digital-picture-frame.htm
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kiatlc » Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:14 am

if i have more than one pages to exclude, then how should the code looks like?
kiatlc

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:22 pm

kiatlc wrote:if i have more than one pages to exclude, then how should the code looks like?

I dont understand your question?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kiatlc » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:27 am

Teli's coding is used to exclude one certain page, how abt excluding many pages?
kiatlc

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders