This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

The oooops email

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

The oooops email

Postby Alan Petersen » Tue May 08, 2007 6:17 pm

Just about every list I'm on at one time or another has sent out an "ooops" email..."ooops sorry I sent you bad link"; "ooops I sent the wrong price", "ooops, I sent this to the wrong list", etc. It must work since they all do it but it feels shady to me, if it's not really a mistake but a marketing technique isn't that just lying and being dishonest to your email list subscribers? I was wondering how SSWT-ites feel about the ooops email marketing trick? Am I missing out by not doing an ooops email to my list?
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby jaggiegill » Tue May 08, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm also getting "ooops" email from some marketing subscriptions. I don't think they work, maybe one person received some sales through it and all the other "gurus" were like heck I'll try it too. It is annoying for me to get these but to unsubscribe from a really good informational training course is just not worth it.

These people are forcing you to stay in their opt in autoresponder and receive these annoying mails. It wont last long I can tell you that much! Even the most respected mentors are trying this, they is a slim to none chance this will make any sales thats for sure.
jaggiegill

Postby karthik26_89 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Hi.I don't know what emails you are all talking about.But i receive some emails to whom i never subscribed.Just now i got a mail with subject TREAT VERY CONFIDENTIAL AND URGENT.
They had some text inbetween.And at the end they said like this:
(FILL THIS FORM BELLOW PLEASE AND RESEND IT TO ME).

1) Your Full Name.............................
2) Your Age.......................................
3) Marital Status................................
4) Your Cell Phone Number…………..
5) Your Fax Number……………….....
6) Your Country………………..............
7) Your Occupation............................
8) ***................................................
9) Your Religion.................................
10) Your Private E-mail Adress...........

POST SCRITUM:You have to keep everything secret as to enable the transfer to move very smoothly in to the account you will prove to the bank.As you finished reading this letter call me immediately so that we discuss very well over this business.

But i never send these.Do you know anything about this?
karthik26_89

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed May 09, 2007 7:07 am

That is spam, Karthik - just delete those. If you get email that doesnt pertain specifically to you or your sites, and that you didnt specifically request - just delete them.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Re: The oooops email

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed May 09, 2007 7:08 am

Webzu wrote:I was wondering how SSWT-ites feel about the ooops email marketing trick? Am I missing out by not doing an ooops email to my list?

Personally, I find it very annoying. My inbox is a very busy place, and the time I want to spend there is incredibly limited. In addition to the "oops" and "server crashed, try again" - there are some list owners that simply email too often.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karthik26_89 » Wed May 09, 2007 7:37 am

Ok thanks Lynn.Ill delete those.I nearly get some 2 emails a day like that.Its frustrating. :cry:
karthik26_89

Send Money From Nigeria E-mail

Postby jaggiegill » Wed May 09, 2007 8:23 am

I am also getting this e-mail that mostly everyone on the net probably has received once. It states that the Queen of Nigeria is sending about a million dollars to you and all you need to do is fill out this information below, anyone get these? Who are they trying to fool here 8) :roll: . It really wasts my time because they put a totally different headline that seems like it important and has something to do with my business, so it's forcing me to open it. What jerks these people are. :roll:
jaggiegill

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed May 09, 2007 10:08 am

There are programs to eliminate email like the two you guys are referring to. I use Spambully and its GREAT. You can read more about it here if you need a cheap but GOOD solution:

http://www.clicknewz.com/111/how-much-does-spam-cost/

What we are talking about in this thread though is the SPAM you actually REQUEST. Or at least, that's how I see it. Signing up for one thing, and getting a hundred emails on something else altogether is... spam of its own kind, in my opinion.

Yes, I opted in. But I didnt specifically request what some are sending out...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby karthik26_89 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 am

Hi.I found an article written on silicon.com.This is an article about how silicon.com's Will Sturgeon set up a Hotmail account under an assumed identity, and replied to a spam.This is just hilarious.I recommend you to read it.
http://www.silicon.com/research/special ... 00.htm?r=1
karthik26_89

Postby RussellWebb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:03 pm

wow... shows you how naive I am... I've received a couple, thinking they were genuine. It doesn't surprise me though.

Makes me wonder about some of these marketers - mainly the overzealous 5x a week 'you gotta have this!" types... I imagine they probably pop up in the middle of the night with there little 'aha' moments and can't wait to start hammering their lists...

now I've learned some good tips from mr. s. casey - but c'mon, I don't think this guy sleeps at all!
RussellWebb
Elite Member

Postby Michael b » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:43 am

Alan,

I hate (Yes, Hate) opps emails. To me its veiled marketing. I'd rather have someone ask me for my money than send one of those "Oppps" emails.

Honestly I unsubscribe every time as soon as I get one of those. In business I am a straight forward man and I expect anyone that wants even a $1 from me to be the same.

At one point or another I have actually made a mistake and sent something when it wasn't complete, I didn't follow it up with an Opps what I did follow it up with was a (sorry I sent you an inactive link, or whatever the mistake was etc.) but I mention in the subject line of the email the exact problem with the last email.
Michael b

Postby Ellen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 am

Honestly I unsubscribe every time as soon as I get one of those.

I too unsubscribe if I recieve an oops e-mail. If they didn't care enough to ensure their copy was ready for me to read, showing they value my time and my readership, then I don't care to receive any more e-mail from them.

In my mind an ooops e-mail is either a way to inform me they didn't double-triple check their work before sending it to their list (see above,) or they're attempting to get in one last plug on whatever it is they're selling. In both cases they're showing a dangerous disrespect for thier list subscribers and I for one have absolutely no tolerance for that.
Ellen

Postby MunnyMaker » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:11 pm

I agree with the opinion that it is a sign lack of respect for the members of the list. Whether it is a mistake or a sales pitch disguised as such, it still is unprofessional.

BUT..... I think that when I become perfect, perhaps that is the time that I will be able to hold others 100% accountable and grant no mercy.

Ya know.... maybe it is an honest mistake sometimes. If I did it, I would hope that ppl would have patience and kindness and not totally blow me off for it.

Just a thought...
MunnyMaker

Postby Ellen » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 pm

cOULDA, wOULDA, shOULDA... if you're SELLING - make sure you have your i's dotted and your t's crossed -- before you send. SIMPLE!

Thank the scammers for intolerance. Those of us who expect better are intelligent enough to tell the difference between a legitimate ooops... and a ploy. It's a marketers job to get it right the first time. Second chances are for children.

My "2" cents.
Ellen

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders