[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Built TRIPLE Opt-in system! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Built TRIPLE Opt-in system!

Newsletters, Ezines & e-Courses: From capturing email addresses to capitalizing on your mailing list - Join us here to discuss weekly newsletters, autoresponders and Email Marketing in general...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What do you think of my opt-in system?

Great!
No votes
It's ok, I guess.
100%
It stinks.
No votes

Total votes : 3

Built TRIPLE Opt-in system!

Postby teapotdee » Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:26 pm

I just finished setting up my own opt-in system, after reading Lynn's
excellent article on the new law called "Can-Spam".

It works this way: when the site visitor signs in, that email gets sent to my
main mail box and I see it as a first-step opt-in.

The form also triggers a "thankyou" page which asks the visitor to sign in
again, with a snail-mail address. That form sends to my "opt-in" box and it
triggers an autoresponder asking the person to "opt-out" if the form entry
was unauthorized.

The postal mail address is so that I can send a simple postcard sometime
within the first month or two of the subcription.

Wanna take it for a spin & give me feedback?

Here it is: and you can just
put "test@email.net" or something if you don't actually want to subscribe.

I would like feedback on how this system "feels" to the unfamiliar visitor.
Including how the fonts and graphics hit you.

If it works as well as I hope, I'll be installing it in all my sites.

Thank you 8)
teapotdee

Re: Built TRIPLE Opt-in system!

Postby flensborg » Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:39 am

flensborg

Postby teapotdee » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:01 pm

Thank you for that comment. I wondered how that would be received.

You think a simple explanation would be enough?

I might just change it to ask for a city and zip code. That should be
enough in the unlikely event of a bogus spam complaint to prove either
that the person DID fill the form, or that he filled it in falsely.

Although a close reading of the new law suggests to me that spam
complaints are going to be subject to a standard of show-cause that
should be enough to protect an honest opt-in list against competitor
interference.
teapotdee

Postby robert adams » Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:18 pm

Hi Denise, I would think that many people will be put off by asking for so much info. On of the things people scream so loud about is online privacy.
If you have the info that is available to you by them filling out your forms, and you get the double opt-in thing going, I think that should be enough to cover you legally. Especially if you follow the new legal guidelines to email.

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby teapotdee » Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:36 pm

teapotdee

Postby Larry Chamberlain » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:50 pm

Larry Chamberlain

Hi teapotdee. Here's my own recent "triple opt in"

Postby BalloonTwister » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:43 pm

Sorry, haven't checked out your setup yet, but here's my own recent triple opt in idea...

This isn't so much to defend against spamming allegations. It's more for making sure that my ezine isn't just one of 20 that's been signed up for, but just piling up unread in their inbox...

Rather than a conventional "subscibe to our free newsletter" I've been thinking about offering them a Free 3 issue trial sub". They'd get an immediate message requiring confirmation. Then they'd get the next 3 issues.

But in each of them, I'd include something like "we want to make sure everyone who gets this newsletter is reading and finding it useful. So to continue to receive [ezine title], you must reconfirm by clicking here. Don't worry, though, it's still FR>E"

My thought is that, in addition to weeding out non-readers (and falsely inflated circulation numbers), it might actually make people MORE likely to sign up in the first place. They'd figure "well, I'll sign up and if I don't like it, I don't even have to cancel. it'll just end on its own."

Of course they're still on my list and I can still contact them every now and then with a "hey, what's up?" message including some promo.[/u]
BalloonTwister

Postby alice » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:59 pm

It seems like too much information...but also too much work. But on the plus side, you will have really dedicated and interested subscribers that go through all the hoops. That's certainly worth something.

Alice
alice

Postby sugarrae » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:02 am

sugarrae
Elite Member

Postby teapotdee » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:59 am

Now that some time has passed, I'm comparing this site with another one that is just one-time sign-up with a confirm sent as acknowledgement.

The second system is working fine, and seems just as secure.

We know the ezines are getting read based on response & comments. I can check the traffic stats for a spike on each mailing.

I think the main thing is that "first touch": are you reaching people who want your content in the first place? I'm definitely getting far more success with the sites that have offline campaigns for first sign-ups.
teapotdee

Return to Email Marketing, Mailing Lists & Autoresponders