This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Members Free Classifieds Section Temporarily Locked

Upcoming Events & Special Announcements from the Forum Administrator. It's a good idea to check in here from time to time ;-)

Members Free Classifieds Section Temporarily Locked

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:34 pm

The Members Free Classifieds section is currently closed. I have put a temporary lock on that category pending a script solution.

Unfortunately, the volume of new classifieds posted daily clutters the two popular features from the main page: view posts since last visit, and view posts with no replies. Those two links are a great resource, but practically useless with the number of classified postings that clutter the results.

I'm looking for a solution to exclude that category from those reults pages. In the meantime, please put your links/ads in your Signature (which you can edit in your profile) and join in on the discussions in the topical categories.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby CorpRebel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Interesting. I never thought about that issue before. Yeah. That WOULD skew those features quite a bit. I always seem to forget about those features. I seem to do most things the hard way! :lol:

But the forum coding seem too tightly integrated together to isolate one forum from the rest. You just might have to axe the ads forum to save you some grief in that regard.

Good Luck! :wink:

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:14 am

Fortunately I think Robert has a solution :D

The Members Free Classifieds is a great addition to the forum - and actually brings in a lot of inbound links and new registered members. Hopefully his 'fix' does the trick!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby captkirk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:42 pm

Lynn Terry wrote:The Members Free Classifieds is a great addition to the forum - and actually brings in a lot of inbound links and new registered members. Hopefully his 'fix' does the trick!

Hi Lynn,

I agree with you 100%!

Offering Members Free Classifieds is a great way to attract new members and keep them coming back to the forum.

In fact, I attract members & visitors to my forums and programs by offering free advertising.

Again, I agree with you 100%! :D
captkirk

Postby robert adams » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:34 pm

CorpRebel wrote:Interesting. I never thought about that issue before. Yeah. That WOULD skew those features quite a bit. I always seem to forget about those features. I seem to do most things the hard way! :lol:

But the forum coding seem too tightly integrated together to isolate one forum from the rest. You just might have to axe the ads forum to save you some grief in that regard.

Image 8)

oh ye of little faith :lol:

you are talking to the phpBB Magic Bullet here you know,

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:18 pm

robert adams wrote:
CorpRebel wrote:Interesting. I never thought about that issue before. Yeah. That WOULD skew those features quite a bit. I always seem to forget about those features. I seem to do most things the hard way! :lol:

Image 8)

I thought Lumpy was the head honcho of phpBB 'Magic Bullets' and you were HIS apprentice. :twisted:

Image 8)
CorpRebel

Postby Baggs » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:29 am

This is the first time I have been back to the forum for must be a year or so, and probably not posted longer than that, and it was the number of free clasified messages in the 'new posts' section that eventually drove me away.

I might visit more often now, once I get through the '1245' unread posts :)
Baggs

Postby robert adams » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:00 am

CorpRebel wrote:
robert adams wrote:

Image 8)

I thought Lumpy was the head honcho of phpBB 'Magic Bullets' and you were HIS apprentice. :twisted:

Image 8)

me and lumpy are close like brothers ya know.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:01 am

Baggs wrote:This is the first time I have been back to the forum for must be a year or so, and probably not posted longer than that, and it was the number of free clasified messages in the 'new posts' section that eventually drove me away.

I might visit more often now, once I get through the '1245' unread posts :)

can you tell me whether you are getting any of the posts from the classifieds and marketing articles in your "1245" returns?

thanks,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Baggs » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 am

No, There were certainly none from the clasified section
Baggs

Postby onlineleben » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:34 am

>>the two popular features from the main page: view posts since last visit, and view posts with no replies<<

Maybe also exclude the Job Board from links with no replies as usually no one replies to the postings there.
onlineleben

Postby robert adams » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:22 pm

many people may want to see new posts to that section if they choose "posts since last visit" etc.
it is not just about repliese in the other two, but the posts as well.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Announcements