This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Help Me Win A Macbook Air :-)

Upcoming Events & Special Announcements from the Forum Administrator. It's a good idea to check in here from time to time ;-)

Help Me Win A Macbook Air :-)

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu May 22, 2008 9:37 am

I'm sure by now you've heard of Stompernet, and that they are finally re-opening for new members. Since they launched in October of 2006 they have only re-opened for a total of 72 hours, so this is a pretty big deal.

During their re-opening event, they are giving away a very cool SEO tool called Site Seer. If I can talk 500 people into checking it out (and its awesome!) then I will win a Macbook Air.

Full details are here:
http://www.clicknewz.com/1528/stompernet-sneak-peak/

Or you can go straight to their site for the tool:
http://www.stompernet.net/jvp/aw.aspx?B=44&A=1107

We’re all in this together. The Stompernet team would love to give you a tour of their members portal. You’d like to get your hands on a super-powerful SEO tool at zero cost. And I’d love to win that Macbook Air ;)

(I really dont ask for that many favors :D :D )
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Marc Meole » Thu May 22, 2008 12:23 pm

I just put my name an email in the signup on the left....is that all I need to do to get you credit for the visit?
Marc Meole

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 pm

The sign-up box is on the right on my screen, but yes - that's it :D

Thank you!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:19 am

Another update...

As you know I won a digital picture frame and a 50" Samsung TV. I got the picture frame a few weeks ago and LOVE it!! Yesterday, after a shipping mixup (that was ultimately resolved with Twitter!), the TV finally arrived: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvfhUhKYhOc

Thanks again - you guys rock! ;) :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Publisher-For-You » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:28 am

Sorry you didn't win the MacBook Lynn!

Here's a consolation prize from a long time Mac nerd.

I must admit, although I have endless patience for tweaking software I'm coding, I'm fed up with broken computer gear.
Fed up!

After first indulging in pointless rants, hollering at Apple, and various other meaningless activities, I finally found a solution that frees me forever from the pain of broken computers.

I've gone over to used equipment.

I'm typing this on a $79 used Mac G4 tower. This machine does 95% of what my brand new (now broken) G5 ever did. And it costs less than 5% as much. Now that's a deal!

But here's the best part. I no longer worry about stuff breaking. Instead of buying one $2000 computer and wondering when it will explode, I buy 3 or 4 used $100 Macs.

When one of these old machines breaks, I "fix it" by installing it in my trash can, :-) and then I boot up the next machine in line.

I keep all my work on an external hard drive (backed up to another external with SuperDuper). Recovering from a fatal failure now takes only as long as plugging the external hard drive in to the next used Mac.

It's beautiful!

Honestly, I no longer suggest folks buy new Macs. I've had too many broken ones. But used Macs are an excellent deal, and a great way to stay sane, and keep working.

Here's a source: macofalltrades.com
Publisher-For-You

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:08 am

Sweet, thanks! I'm actually a PC user, always have been. And fortunately I've never had any major trouble with mine. I think at the moment I have 4 Dell systems running in the house (including one laptop) and - knock on wood - I've not had any issues.

I'd love to get a Macbook this year (or maybe early next year) just to check it out. I dont really have a specific need for one - its more an item on my "gadget wish list" at the moment ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Publisher-For-You » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:19 am

Hi Lynn,

It could be PC hardware is more reliable, I really don't know, have never owned any. Windows software seems to get a bad rap, but I don't really know anything about that either.

I will say that a new Mac would have an important advantage over a used Mac, for you, or any PC user. You can run your Windows apps on a new Mac. That's a pretty big deal it seems.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of the "disposable society" plan where we just toss out broken stuff. I've converted to this system reluctantly. But the price of used is now so low, and the hassle and price of fixing computer gear so high, it's hard to avoid these facts.

It was a moment of liberation for me when I realized I could escape broken computer gear concerns once and for all forever.

All that said, winning new equipment still beats my plan. :-)
Publisher-For-You

Postby robert adams » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:43 am

hmmmm......
used macs are cheap, new macs break.....

hmmmmm.......

no, no, I am not trying to start the war

just joking.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Publisher-For-You » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 am

No war from here either Robert. I can't compare new Macs to anything else, but I don't recommend them to friends anymore. Maybe all computers have the same problems, I couldn't say.

It's not really a Mac issue for me, but a new vs. used issue.

The new computers, of any brand, get more and more powerful all the time. But most of us use our computers for typing and web surfing. A 10 year computer does that just as well.

Ok, here's a funny Mac story. I was watching a Charlie Rose show all about the new Apple iPhone.

Three reviewers were going on breathlessly about all the fancy features. This is easy to understand, because Apple really does make beautiful wonderful stuff.

And then, the hitch, so classically Apple.

Beautiful really creative cutting edge phone, but....

You can't take the battery out, and replace it with a full charged one. And, the phone eats tons of juice because of all the fancy features.

Lots of folks reporting their battery dies by lunch time. So, you have a tiny little beautiful portable phone you can carry in your pocket.

BUT, you have to drag the charger around with you everywhere as well.

I laughed out loud, no kidding, when they explained that, as no story captures Apple quite as well.
Publisher-For-You

Postby robert adams » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:51 pm

yep, my phone makes phone calls and receives phone calls. and does it in just about any place that I have been with it. ( most of the newer phones have horrible reception). that is all I need a phone to do.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Announcements