This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Article: Postcard Marketing Your Small Business

Offline Marketing tips and techniques - how to market your online business OFFline. Also discussing Offline Business set-up and strategy.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Article: Postcard Marketing Your Small Business

Postby webturtle » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:46 pm

One of the best marketing strategies a business or organization can use is postcards. Postcards have a great reputation amongst guerilla marketers because they are relatively cheap, targetted, get read before going in the trash and fly under the radar of your competition.

With the new web technologies for postcards, it's super-convenient to just send one or as many as you need without the effort of hand writing, addressing and mailing each one.

What is particularly nice about postcards is that nearly any business or organization can benefit from a structured, targeted postcard marketing strategy. Take a look at some of the ways postcards can be used:

http://www.soho-it-goes.com/resources/a ... eting.html
webturtle

Postby Sandra » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:32 pm

Hi Eileen,

I read your post about postcard marketing and think you have some great points. How would I go about buying a targeted mailing list? I would like to market to runners/walkers or people who contribute to charitable causes. My target market are people who do both. :wink:

Right now I am working on building my ezine list. So the main message of the postcard is the free resources and newsletter available at the site.

I'm not sure that I could spend much on my first postcard campaign. What is the minimum number of cards to send to get a good response?

Thanks
Sandra
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby Michelle Steiner » Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:42 pm

Funny you should post this today! I have been doing some reading, and some playing around with my publishing program. I am seriously considering doing a bounce back campaign. For those that don't know what that is. It is Actually two post cards perferated together. One has the offer, the other is the Return card that they send back to you. I have also been thinking about doing a "dribble" campaign (I think that is what is called). Where you send out something small each week or every other week to keep your name in front of people. I have made it a top priority to be making a decent income within 6 months. And I am thinking these are going to be the cheapest and best way to market right now.

Here is my delema (sp?) (sorry, I'm tired ad it has been a long day). What do I want to make my offer for? As some of you know, I have started dabbling in affiliate marketing, but I also have my VA services. Any ideas or suggestions on this would help me narrow things down.

TIA
Michelle Steiner

Postby webturtle » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:30 am

Well - although I love marketing design, direct mail is not my specialty so hopefully someone with more experience with it will comment. I use postcards for relationship marketing and have never used a "cold" list. My understanding is that the response rate of a cold list, which you're discussing, is 1-2% - so you can do the math on how many need to go out to get the results you want. I've heard that one company that provides lists is at http://www.w3data.com/ - I have no personal knowledge or recommendation on this, though. My own marketing is done strictly to people who opt-in to my newsletter, and have established a relationship of some sort already. Not to say that you can't do what you're looking for - my (snail)mail box is full of evidence every day that plenty of people are doing it! ;)

Hope this helps a little and that some direct mail folks chime in with more info!
webturtle

Postby onlineleben » Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:10 am

What about not mailiing postcards, but make free postcards available to the public? This is quite common in Europe and the postcards are distributed in pubs and restaurants and are good for branding
onlineleben

Postby webturtle » Mon Nov 17, 2003 8:16 am

I've seen that in a few pubs and restaurants here too - there is a display hanging on the wall with cards in it - my experience is that the most cleverly designed ones are the ones I've looked at while standing in line for an order - but I never take one - just look at them and put back.

Its worth looking into though, i suppose, for some businesses - there is probably a name or number on that display for people to contact, I just never looked!
webturtle

Postby onlineleben » Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:29 am

webturtle wrote:- but I never take one - just look at them and put back.

Some time ago I started collecting them. Nice hobby. But when I moved house they vanished somewhere. Probably waste bin. But I kept them for years.
onlineleben

Postcard mailings

Postby wthomas46 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 am

Post cards are a great alternative to 1st class mailings. At the standard response rate of 1/2 to 1 percent on mailings, you're looking at 10 responses on average for a mailing of 1000. Of course, your response rate could be much better with a highly targeted list but my experience is that they are hard to find. Breaking even on a mailing is considered a successful campaign by many because you've added contacts, people into your business, and the back end is where you make your money whether it be additional products that you'll sell to them, or profits from them being involved in your business.
wthomas46

Return to Offline Marketing and Offline Business