This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Has anybody joined their local BNI?

Offline Marketing tips and techniques - how to market your online business OFFline. Also discussing Offline Business set-up and strategy.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Has anybody joined their local BNI?

Postby ian » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 pm

I was wondering if anybody has joined a BNI chapter in their area. I am thinking about it but you can get penalized if you miss a meeting. I work at night and that's when they meet. Any info would be great... thanks Ian
ian

Postby Sharon & Roy » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:29 pm

ian wrote:I was wondering if anybody has joined a BNI chapter in their area.

Hi Ian,

Our advice is to really do your homework before you join BNI.

Make sure that you understand that networking is all about GIVING to others and NOT getting from others.

If you can commit to bringing referrals for the others in your group each time you meet without expecting to be given any referrals yourself, then we'd say you are more than ready to join a networking group such as BNI, but if you aren't mentally and physically prepared for that then joining BNI may be a big disappointment for you.

Also keep in mind that certain businesses will be easier to refer than others, so do some homework to see how well other BNI members in your industry are doing today when it comes to receiving referrals.

Just some food for thought before you make a commitment to BNI.

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

thanks for info

Postby ian » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:52 pm

I just Spoke to Mark C of BNI today. He was really informative. I will checking in with him again and following up with a group here in town.. thanks.
ian

Re: thanks for info

Postby DeadInToIt » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:27 am

ian wrote:I just Spoke to Mark C of BNI today. He was really informative. I will checking in with him again and following up with a group here in town.. thanks.

Hi Ian,

There was a fella that seemed to have some questions and opinions about BNI over in my RYZE Forum. Greg Magnus is his name.

Might be one more to compare notes with.
DeadInToIt

Postby Teena » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:34 am

A friend of mine joined - I think it was $A800-900 a year.

The comments above are fair, she felt like she was constantly "talking up" everybody in the group and passing out referrals for all the other people in her group, but never got any calls or referrals herself. In her case, although her business is as great as the next, BNI didn't work for her. No-one could say what the high annual fee was for, it wasn't spent on advertising or any other tangible product.

As the advice above says, do plenty of research on anything where you need to outlay money.

I believe you can be invited to one meeting for free - why not see if you can attend a few different ones in your area and get a feel for how it works?

I have just heard of a local networking group very similar to BNI, meets for breakfast, where you pay $17 for the breakfast and a yearly fee of something like $100. You might find there are other alternatives, depending on your budget.

I also love networking for free - meeting with local biz people - and it doesn't cost a cent, but you each offer support and encouragement.

Good luck with your decision.
Teena
Teena

Return to Offline Marketing and Offline Business