This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I stink at writing press releases

Offline Marketing tips and techniques - how to market your online business OFFline. Also discussing Offline Business set-up and strategy.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

I stink at writing press releases

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:07 am

I really hate the way this one looks and sounds when I read it, but I followed a couple of samples I found. This is what happened:

For Immediate Release
Mississippi Kids Online
Batesville, MS 38606
(662)796-0827

MEDIA CONTACT:
Jennifer Hadorn: info@mississippikidsonline.com
(662)-796-0827

Batesville, MS - Mississippi Kids Online Launched June 21, 2005

Mississippi Kids Online is pleased to announce the launch of their website, http://www.mississippikidsonline.com. This new web site houses a small but growing directory of "fun stuff" for kids and families to do in the State of Mississippi.

In addition to the directory of "fun stuff," there is also a blog (weblog or journal) that chronicles the sight-seeing trips and adventures of one Mississippi mom's family. Or as she likes to call it, "Adventures in Kidland, Mississippi Style."

The site was created out of a need Ms. Hadorn sought to fill. "The internet is full of information and it can sometimes be overwhelming. I wanted to funnel the information to one place and put it in an easy to read format. Mississippi has a lot to offer in the way fun things to do if you know where to look."

According to Ms. Hadorn: "Growing up in a small town it was always hard to find fun things to do on the weekends. Now that I have a child of my own, I want to make sure she has fun that also enriches her learning experience."

Features of the site include:

1. A list of upcoming events all over the state that are kid and family-friendly

2. A blog, or weblog, that chronicles the family trips and sight-seeing adventures of Ms. Hadorn's family.

3. A list of fun places to visit.

4. A list of parks and playgrounds.

The web site accepts submissions from event coordinators, individuals, and park commissions. If you would like your event or location listed, please contact Jennifer Hadorn via e-mail info@mississippikidsonline.com or phone (662)-796-0827.

###
Jennifer Hadorn

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:55 am

I think it sounds great :D . And if that were to appear in my local paper... I'd put the paper down and head to the computer to check out the site!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jennifer Hadorn » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:47 pm

I edited the press release a bit and submitted it to the Clarion-Ledger in Jackson.

We'll see what happens. :)
Jennifer Hadorn

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:22 am

Keep us posted ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MikeS » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:38 pm

Jennifer,
I wrote my first press release in May and submitted it to PRWeb. Like you, I wasn't too impressed with my effort, but the PRWeb editorial board gave it a 5 out of 5... wooohooo!

Here's a link if you want to model the format and flow.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/5/prweb241034.htm

Sometimes, the best headline and lead are buried a few lines into a piece. In your case, I think "Adventures in Kidland, Mississippi Style" is a better headline. It's more interesting than --- another website. It shows why you're unique.

I'd also punch up the close a bit -
Put this sentence somewhere in the body, "The web site accepts submissions from event coordinators, individuals, and park commissions."

And close with, "To list your event, send sumbissions to Jennifer at ..."

Add details to bring it alive: what places, which events, what parks? Name them.

This seems a great site. My kids are teens now, but I could have used something like this on a sunny Saturday in New Hampshire.
MikeS

Postby john925 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:31 am

I am also not all that good at writting press release. But unlike you, I will not be attempting to write on and submitting it. I prefer a professional to do mine so that I can make sure I get it right the first time.
john925

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:13 am

john925 wrote:I am also not all that good at writting press release. But unlike you, I will not be attempting to write on and submitting it. I prefer a professional to do mine so that I can make sure I get it right the first time.

If you find someone that does a great job and gets great results, do share ;) Let us know how it goes!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby john925 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:42 am

Wooops.

I had meant to say that I will pay someone to write it, but I will do the promoting of it by adding it to the PR sites myself, but doing the paid submissions and not the free ones so that I can get extra exposure.
john925

Do you know if this type of marketing

Postby phil55 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:49 am

Hi
Do you know if this type of marketing can get you good profits and sales. I am looking of extra option. I have tried various website marketing and they work
Has any one tried Ip broadcast / or fax marketing deos it work?
One Marketing method that I am sure works and gets me many customers is Targeted email marketing;
I use this service http://www.omegaonemedia.com.
What is your experience on some of these marketing methods
The also have Targeted email campaigns and Targeted lists

Matt D
http://www.horizon-place.com
phil55

Return to Offline Marketing and Offline Business