This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Why is everyone overlooking this gem??

Offline Marketing tips and techniques - how to market your online business OFFline. Also discussing Offline Business set-up and strategy.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Why is everyone overlooking this gem??

Postby Pete Egeler » Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:17 pm

Seems like everyone is worried about flyers, leaving biz cards, trying to figure out how to advertise their business on a shoestring.

If your short, or out of funds, don't forget the good old fashioned PRESS RELEASE!

Lemme give you an example. (Sorry, it's long...) :)

My son, who lives in Western KY, is going to promote his second auto race this spring. First one did well, he'd like this one to do better.

"Dad,' says he, 'can you help me?"

So, I told him to send me everything he had on the race.

Shortly, I get this HUGE "Press Release" that some guy wrote for him

It's nice. It's long. It will end up in the file 13 can.

"Billy,' says I to my son, 'has this press release been sent out yet?" "YUP" "How long ago?" "'Bout a month." "No response?" "Nope"

Well, you know I can't let my son's dreams go down the tubes.

I took all the stuff Billy sent me, wrote a NEW press release, and distributed it two days later.

Nother email from Billy.. "DAD!.. What do I do now?"

"Whadda ya mean?" says I.

"Some woman emailed me, and wants more information."

"Then GIVE IT TO HER!"

Turns out the "woman" was a Sports Writer for the L.A. Times, as well as a contributor with Entertainment Weekly. And, not only did she email, Billy, she also phoned him.. THEN, the local CofC.

Total time elapsed from when I release the Press Release to the call from the L.A. Times.. 6-hours. (And, on a SATURDAY yet.)

NEVER, EVER, EVER, under estimate the power of a good Press Release my friends. It can do wonders for you..

Pete
Pete Egeler

Mountain Man

Postby PersonalLiberties » Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:13 am

Pete:

Congradulations on your success on your son's behalf. I too am in TN.
PersonalLiberties

Postby fast-pack.com » Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:44 pm

Thanks for the post! It has inspired me to get started on a Press Release. Thinking about promoting our Business 5 Year Anniversary.
fast-pack.com

Don't write just one!

Postby deniseoberry » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:06 pm

Make sure you have at least a framework of a plan for press releases. Many people send just one a year. You'll do much better if you create a plan that keeps the idea on your radar screen and helps you build relationships with the press -- remember, they're people too.

Best regards,

Denise O'Berry
deniseoberry

Postby alice » Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:03 pm

I send out press releases all the time (good tip, Denise) and have received really good results. In fact, I'm excited to say that I'was interviewed in an article in the Richmond Times Dispatch today...and I live way over in Vancouver, BC.

I'm not the feature of the article, but was called for my opinion on the subject, which is always nice:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sa ... 5855936229

:) :) :) :)

I have also written a free tutorial that takes you from what to write about, how to write it, how to distribute...and so forth. You can check that out at:

http://www.internetbasedmoms.com/press-releases/

I absolutely agree...and excellent free promotion tool.

Alice
alice

Postby giftsolution » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:50 pm

Great exposure, Alice! I hope it brings you some business.
giftsolution
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Jan 18, 2004 6:28 pm

alice wrote:I have also written a free tutorial that takes you from what to write about, how to write it, how to distribute...and so forth. You can check that out at:

Great resource, Alice! Thanks for sharing :D

If you dont mind, I'd like to include this resource in next week's issue of SSWT ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby alice » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:23 pm

Absolutely Lynn. I receive a lot of great feedback from people who have used it. Thank you very much for offering.

BTW - The article response has been great...brought lots of extra traffic and new message board members yesterday. Today is also busy. I find this kind of exposure usually doesn't bring me sales until later down the road (but I think that makes sense for the type of site I have). I think people like to absorb all the info on the site and then they sit down to make a plan of how they'd like to approach an online business.

Alice
alice

Postby deniseoberry » Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:36 pm

alice wrote:I find this kind of exposure usually doesn't bring me sales until later down the road (but I think that makes sense for the type of site I have). I think people like to absorb all the info on the site and then they sit down to make a plan of how they'd like to approach an online business.
Alice

Absolutely Alice. Any kind of exposure (via press or viral) is cumulative. The more it grows, the better your name recognition.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Denise O'Berry
deniseoberry

And, the hits just keep on comin'...

Postby pegeler » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:39 pm

You're right about a "plan" for those press releases.

Even if it's a "one time special" like Billy's race.

A series of releases will be sent out through race weekend. Of importance to the sports writers will be such info as field size, any "big name" racers?, etc. So, I'll keep pumpin' them out for him as needed.

BTW, I've gotten several inquiries about doing PR for folks, so I've picked up another income source! :)

On top of that, a MAJOR well known female marketer hired me last week to assist in doing research for a client of hers.

LIFE IS GOOD! ('Specially when I get to do the things I enjoy!)

Pete
pegeler

Re: And, the hits just keep on comin'...

Postby deniseoberry » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:18 am

pegeler wrote:You're right about a "plan" for those press releases.
BTW, I've gotten several inquiries about doing PR for folks, so I've picked up another income source! :)

On top of that, a MAJOR well known female marketer hired me last week to assist in doing research for a client of hers.

LIFE IS GOOD! ('Specially when I get to do the things I enjoy!)

Pete --

That is spectacular! I love to hear about other people's successes. May the rest of 2004 be exactly what makes you happy too!

Best regards,

Denise O'Berry
deniseoberry

Thanks, Denise..

Postby Pete Egeler » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:28 pm

I appreciate your comments.

After carefully looking over the options, I've come to the following conclusion: "I have found "the niche," and it are I! (Sorry)

I've got another PR project coming up this week, and hopefully more in the not to distant future.

Piece of cake for me. All I have to do is look back over 30+ years in the broadcasting industry, and remember what Press Releases I used, and which ones I tossed, and WHY. :wink:

Pete
Pete Egeler

Press releases

Postby Eileen » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:16 pm

Sending press releases regularly to local media is important if you want to establish someone as an expert in their field. When I work with clients, I always recommend sending six releases a year, and peg them to seasonal or timely events if at all possible. Within three or four press releases, they're put on the editors' and reporters' rolodexes and when they need someone in that specialty, that's who they call.

Eileen
Eileen

Postby code4 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:50 pm

alice wrote:I send out press releases all the time (good tip, Denise) and have received really good results. In fact, I'm excited to say that I'was interviewed in an article in the Richmond Times Dispatch today...and I live way over in Vancouver, BC.

I'm not the feature of the article, but was called for my opinion on the subject, which is always nice:

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Sa ... 5855936229

:) :) :) :)

I have also written a free tutorial that takes you from what to write about, how to write it, how to distribute...and so forth. You can check that out at:

I absolutely agree...and excellent free promotion tool.

Alice

Nice work Alice! Your tutorial is not just free, it's TOP NOTCH!

I just came across your post and having had some--actually just a little--experience with press releases back in the 1990s, I had to check it out. I've been telling myself it's time to get up to speed on things.

Hope you don't mind my "invasion" of you site. Hey, us guys need help too! BTW...do you have a PDF version of your tutorial available???

Best wishes,
James
code4

Postby Li Weng » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Great
Li Weng

Return to Offline Marketing and Offline Business