This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Social Marketing Abused?

Discuss topics on MLM, Network Marketing, Direct Sales... Choosing a company, making sales and successful recruiting - online or off...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood, lindastacy

Social Marketing Abused?

Postby Paul Cooley » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:34 pm

I just posted the following in my blog, but I thought I would post it here to get some thoughts...

"Alright, I’m probably going to offend some people with this post, but we’ll see if you agree or walk away offended…

I don’t mean for this post to offend, but I do intend it to prove a point.

Being in Network Marketing these past few years has been a great growing experience, even the hard times. Through my experiences and people I have met, I have learned a LOT. I have seen there are three main classes in MLM. The first category is what we will call “the majority”. The majority is followers, they do what they have been told to do. If they are told to make cold calls they do and most build their business the “traditional way”(cold calls, home meetings, 3-foot rule, etc.).

The second class is made up of those who have been in MLM a while and are learning a new way to doing things. For example, they are learning the power of the Internet to grow their business; they are using social networking sites and tools like MySpace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

I have to give this class props for learning how to do things a new way and dare I say a better way. The only problems I see in this class is, they are using all the right tools, but they still have the “traditional” mindset. I’ll explain more in a little bit.

The third class is a smaller class of a rare breed of entrepreneur. They guys and girls are the ones that set the standard of the Industry. The thing that separates the second class and the third class is their mindset. . .

Now’s it time to offend. (Please note that when I say “classess” I am not saying that there are higher classes or lower classes people, just different classes)

Here is an example of the difference of the third class compared to the second class:

Both classes are using the Internet to promote their business, both are using different Social Media sites. But there is a big difference between the two.

Let’s take Twitter for instance, the third class Tweet about quality content, they Tweet about things that add value to their followers. The second class Tweets, but usually it is always about THEIR business opportunity. They are not out to add value or help people, unless something is in it for them. (Am I offending anyone yet?)

Let’s talk about MySpace, again, one class will have a page that offers value and good content, while the other class’s page is all about the business opportunity, and they usually don’t even have a pic of themselves I might add!

See what I mean? The mindset it totally different and to be really honest with you, I am really getting tired of these “marketers” who offer no value to the Industry. Why am I tired of it? Because they are giving the rest of us a bad name, they are giving the Industry a bad name. If you are using Social Networking sites and tools for spamming, then you need to get out of the club! If you can’t take your business seriously and act like a professional, go find a hobby.

I’m not trying to be mean, but I am trying to prove a point. The goal for all Network Marketers should be, to be the best of the best, to be the Elite in their Industry and make an impact and help others succeed.

Let’s all step it up a notch and show everyone that you are an Elite Marketer, that MLM is a respectable business and that you will bring value to every social networking site that you go to.

Let’s show the world that there is a New Breed of MLM that is here to stay!"
Paul Cooley
Elite Member

Postby Daniel Cassidy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:11 pm

I totally agree with you. Social website marketing is such a valuable tool, but many MLM marketers use it the wrong way and sometimes it can come across like spam. I must admit when I first made a MySpace page I did it like a 2nd class MLM person and just put up an opportunity page.

If you are going to become successful with this business, then you must sell yourself online and provide value to your prospects and not sell your opportunity. Selling just the opportunity works as well but your growth will be slower and your dropout rate will be much higher.
Daniel Cassidy

Postby deannatroupe » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 pm

I totally agree with you on this point. I hate it when all people do is talk about their business opportunity and never offer any useful information.
deannatroupe

Return to Network Marketing - Direct Sales Success