[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Should I JUMP on this opportunity to be a Published Author? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Should I JUMP on this opportunity to be a Published Author?

Writing articles for free publicity, freelance writing, writing books, copywriting, editing and proofreading. If you write, or would like to, join us here in the Writer's Corner.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, DebGallardo

Should I JUMP on this opportunity to be a Published Author?

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:06 pm

Brainstorm with me for a sec... I could use some input.

I've been given an opportunity to co-author a book that is coming out in December. There are actually 50 co-authors, and my excerpt would be approximately 400 words and would include my contact information at the end. Quite a few of the co-authors are BIG names - well known best-selling authors. The book is guaranteed to be a best seller, and there is national media already set up - including book signings and local press releases, etc.

The only requirement, other than my 400 word excerpt being accepted (for which I have pre-qualified), is that I purchase 100 copies at a discounted rate. These I could then sell myself, of course.

The major perk being that it is a relatively small investment for the exposure involved with being part of a Best Seller, and being published alongside quite a few big names. Not to mention that it takes me one step closer to my dream of publishing my own book, and the added credibility I will have from participating in this collective piece of work when I do so.

Thoughts? Would YOU take such an opportunity? Lets say, as an example, that the investment were $1,000, but you felt you could presell your minimum of 100 books. Whether you could or not, doesnt it still seem like a wise investment? I want to hear your thoughts!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Tom Fosson » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:12 pm

Lynn, I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds awfully close to the "Who's Who" type of scams where they tell you your biography will be included if you purchase a minimum number of books. Great for the publisher, but a lot of hopeful authors end up getting 'stuck'. Why not just publish your own book on your own? Then you keep all the profits instead of helping a wannabe publisher sell 5000 books to its authors.

Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I'd do some serious investigation of the company and its principles before commiting any money to them.

Cheers,
Tom
Tom Fosson

Re: Should I JUMP on this opportunity to be a Published Auth

Postby flensborg » Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:30 pm

Ok, brainstorming here we go :-)

If you bought the 1000 copies and never sold a single one, would you then make any money from sales made by the other authors or the publishing company?

In other word, do you know how many copies should be sold by other people in order for you to be profitable?

Do you know who the other authors are?

Are these authors that you would like to be seen in company with?

Have you any way of verifying how many books have been sold by someone other than you?

For how long will they keep promoting the book?

Do you have any specific information about these book-signings?

Have you contacted the places where the book-signings will take place to verify the information from the company?

Do you trust the publishing company?

Do you personally know and trust someone from the company?

Have this company published previously?

Have they published something similar before?

How did that go? - for the publishing company? - for the co-authors?

Have you seen any of their former work?

Regardless of how this turn out you should still keep working on your own book.
flensborg

Re: Should I JUMP on this opportunity to be a Published Auth

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:48 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby flensborg » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:46 am

flensborg

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:06 am

I agree... which is the reason I am seriously considering moving forward on this offer. As I said earlier, I'm flattered to have the opportunity to be included.

Also - I just spoke with one of the other co-authors who has worked with this publisher before, and he shared with me some of the plans for this book that were not done for the previous books (they were not published with the intent of becoming best sellers) - much of which put my mind at ease regarding the comparison.

I believe its a go... I think the book itself is going to be excellent, and the association is well worth the investment ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby webturtle » Thu Oct 02, 2003 10:45 pm

webturtle

Not so sure . . .

Postby pschlegel » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:27 pm

pschlegel

Postby The Great Gordino » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:21 pm

The Great Gordino

Postby WAHumor » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:07 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Oct 12, 2003 4:29 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Lynn, Here's the response from an author of a best-seller

Postby pschlegel » Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:49 pm

pschlegel

Re: Lynn, Here's the response from an author of a best-selle

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:07 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:29 pm

Update!

Even though I was pre-qualified as a co-author, I was sweating the inclusion down to the last minute... and just found out this morning that my excerpt will definitely be included!

The book should be out in early December, and book signings and local & national press releases & media blurbs are scheduled beginning in January. I have been invited to join a conference call with 20-30 other co-authors in this project (including Joel Christopher & Greg Reid), and also to work with the publisher personally on some web-based projects.

Being involved with this project is a perfect opportunity for me to network in higher circles and gain overall exposure. The book itself is a wonderful collection of inspirational and beautiful stories, tips & how-to's from plenty of well-known authors and a handful of others... and will make a perfect gift to my own family members, close friends and favored clients - not to mention a keepsake for myself as a reminder of what I am doing, and why, and to continue forward towards my goals in life.

Thank you again for your input & advice!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kdwells » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:44 pm

That's very awesome Lynn! I think we'll all want copies now. :D

What is your excerpt about exactly? Now that it's on the way to press are you willing to share? :wink:
kdwells

Next

Return to Writing for Publicity, Writing for Pay