This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How to submit articles without search engine penalties?

Writing articles for free publicity, freelance writing, writing books, copywriting, editing and proofreading. If you write, or would like to, join us here in the Writer's Corner.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, DebGallardo

How to submit articles without search engine penalties?

Postby sankarapandian » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Even after reading so many reports I am still confused about the article submission strategy. Recently I read a report but got no clear idea and they are also promoting an article submission software which submits articles to thousands of directories with a single click.

Now I am submitting articles to only 20 directories/day as I had read a report that getting so many back links in a short period would attract search engine penalty and asked to submit to not more than 20 directories/day. But many suggest to submit 3 articles/week. I have a list of 1000 directories and I am using a half automated article submission software to appear as a manual submission. If I submit 3 articles even for a month I could easily get 3000 links in a month. I don't know which way to follow.

Another point is, submitting the same article to thousands of directories. How this will be treated by the search engines? Even if we change the first and last paragraph for every few hundred submissions and use 3 or 4 signatures with different anchor texts we can easily submit to thousands of directories in a short period. In short I have three questions to be answered.
Whether the same article can be submitted to thousands or hundreds of directories? Will the search engines ban our site for duplication?

Whether we can use different signatures with different anchor texts for the same article submissions, say using one signature for every few hundred submissions?

Whether getting so many back links in a shorter period attract penalties from major search engines?

sankarapandian
http://www.internethomebusinessopportunities.net
sankarapandian

Postby americanwahm » Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:45 pm

I don't submit my articles to hundreds of directories. I have a short list of favorites that I stick to that have high traffic or that target my niche topic specifically.

Search engines have an eye out for anything that looks trumped up but I don't have any idea what numbers they are looking for before they suspect foul play.

I would say that there is very little benefit to you to submit to thousands of directories. They are mostly crap sites that are only seen by everyone else submitting their articles (or by their bots at least.)
americanwahm
Elite Member

Multiple submissions

Postby DebGallardo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Elsewhere on this forum is a thread similar to this. I'll see if I can locate it and point you in that direction later.

As far as search engines "banning" you for duplicate content - that's a myth. Google will only show ONE copy of an article in search results. This is what some people refer to as the Google "penalty" for dup. content.

You have to think like Google. They strive to provide searchers with unique search results. If every site that published one of your articles showed up in the results, the people doing the search would get frustrated with the duplicate results.

The site that Google lists for one of your articles will likely be the one with the most inbound links. They call this the "best" page. It might be your own site, it might be EzineArticles.com, which is the top article site. Regardless, if your resource box is compelling, you're still getting eyeballs on your site and hopefully clickthroughs to it every time someone reads your article wherever it might be.

The only time Google truly penalizes us is if we break their rules. Here's some of what they have to say about duplicate themselves:

During our crawling and when serving search results, we try hard to index and show pages with distinct information. This filtering means, for instance, that if your site has articles in "regular" and "printer" versions and neither set is blocked in robots.txt or via a noindex meta tag, we'll choose one version to list. In the rare cases in which we perceive that duplicate content may be shown with intent to manipulate our rankings and deceive our users, we'll also make appropriate adjustments in the indexing and ranking of the sites involved. However, we prefer to focus on filtering rather than ranking adjustments ... so in the vast majority of cases, the worst thing that'll befall webmasters is to see the "less desired" version of a page shown in our index.

Here's where you can find the entire article on duplicate content:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... ntent.html
DebGallardo
Elite Member

Postby KansasDragon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:12 pm

It almost sounds like you're trying to use the "directories" for your biggest benefit, and incoming links. It's true, you want those incoming links from highly ranked article directories, but...

Your greatest benefit will be if you can write some really high quality articles that other web site owners will be using on their sites. Getting links into your site from a wide range of sites, and a wide range of eyeballs.
KansasDragon

Not me

Postby DebGallardo » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:13 pm

*I'm* not trying to do anything. :D

EZA is the top directory, and will have many more publishers available to use our articles. There are a few other directories at the top as well, but they don't come close to the volume of EZA.

Now, if we want to go "wide," we can submit to them, too. Niche-specific directories are also good.

Here's a tip I got from Lynn's webinar:

Publish an article on your own site FIRST. Wait a month or so. THEN submit it to article directories. This gives the search engines time to "find" the article on your site.

Remember, there is at least a three-fold purpose in submitting an article to directories:

1) - syndication

2) - search engine placement

3) - inbound links to your site from publishers

I would add a fourth:

4) - name recognition

Here's another tip from Lynn:
Go deep first, before you go wide.

Jeff Herring, "The Article Guy," has published more than 1,000 articles at EZA, a handful at goarticles.com, and none at the other directories I checked. He has gone wide in other ways with his business.

Here's a link for the top 50 directories (updated July 9. 2008), which should prove useful to all:

http://www.vretoolbar.com/articles/directories.php

The idea that we should submit to LOTS of directories is not universally accepted, so the jury's still out on that. More important is placing articles where they will have the most potential of being chosen by publishers, which means the top directories, because they have more traffic. See the Alexa ranking in that link above.

The sheer numbers alone are a boon. So I agree with you that more links from more sites is an ideal benefit, but I'm not sure which is the "best" benefit.

Hope this clarifies what I was saying. Sorry if I was unclear before.

Deb
DebGallardo
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:04 am

Just to clarify the point I made that Deb shared above, regarding publishing articles on your own site FIRST... that was advice given to people who wanted to publish the same articles on their own website and also use them for article marketing. If you do that - use the same content - it needs to be indexed on your domain before you submit it elsewhere. But ideally you will use unique content on your site, and submit separate articles to article directories.

That said, you dont want to over-complicate this whole Article Marketing thing. Kelly gave good advice in the first reply - that's how I approach it as well.

You need a variety of inbound links. Not just links to your main page. And not just links from article directories. See: Stop Linking To Your Home Page!

After you read that article, check out 10 Free Ways to Drive Traffic To Your Website for ideas on even more places to get inbound links.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Writing for Publicity, Writing for Pay