This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Becoming a Product Reviewer

Writing articles for free publicity, freelance writing, writing books, copywriting, editing and proofreading. If you write, or would like to, join us here in the Writer's Corner.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, DebGallardo

Becoming a Product Reviewer

Postby Mr. Francis » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:00 am

Hi there.
I want to become a Hardware reviewer (mainly computer components etc), I have written reviews in the past for various enthusiasts forums etc.

I emailed one website requesting that I become a writer for their site, and review the latest products on the market.

But.

I don’t know how it all works. and I don’t want to ask him as he will more than likely turn me away.

what I don’t understand is the process of a review. in the past I’ve reviewed things that ‘I’ve bought myself.

I understand that reviewers for such websites get sent the items then write the article.

but how ? do they email companies saying 'I would like to review this product to be published on blablablareviews.com '

what happens to the product afterwards?
do I keep it ? send it back ? can a sell it ?

how do I get paid for my work ? Do I simply keep the items i review as my pay ? Or would I get a sum from the website or from the manufacturer ?

I admit this whole idea started as a 'how can i get free stuff' thing. but I’ve realised that I am a talented writer when it comes to reviews, and really, i just want to put my skills to use. Without blowing it by sending an idiotic email to my potential employer.

Francis
Mr. Francis

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Hi Francis,

Generally the larger companies will send products for review to certain writers for a specified amount of time, to be returned. Some will send products that you may keep. This is up to the company, of course, and each may have their own criteria you must follow.

The money you earn will come from paid writing opportunities, or through monetizing your own review site.

Do you have a website or blog already? There are companies that pay for review-type blog posts...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Hardware reviewer

Postby wthomas46 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:39 am

Yes, there are people who make money by writing reviews of products in blogs and selling affiliate related products or using related Adsense links. I have a friend who makes some decent money doing reviews of new Video Games and Cell Phone accessories. Of course, picking a popular subject and actually knowing a bit about the product helps.
wthomas46

Return to Writing for Publicity, Writing for Pay