[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - I would like to learn about importing... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I would like to learn about importing...

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

I would like to learn about importing...

Postby HowardH » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:21 pm

I have seen a very successful eBay'er selling violins -- and I think I could do better, because he sells the instruments not even set up. I bought one as a test.

Not only can I set them up, but I can evaluate them because I play violin professionally. I have even found several companies in China and Twaiwan that will sell violins (by the 100's) at reasonable prices, and I am currently trying to set up a sample buy from a couple of them.

But I don't know anything about the import business. I don't even know what it is that I don't know, which is a scary feeling. I seek enlightenment. If you can recommend a source of information on this topic, please post it here.

Thanks in advance.
HowardH

Postby sdc2027 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:17 am

sdc2027

Thank you

Postby HowardH » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:34 am

Wholesale411 looks like a very interesting forum. I've added it to my list.
HowardH

Postby fast-pack.com » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:44 pm

Hello Howard,
I have been looking into importing products myself. The best site of overseas products I can find is at alibaba.com
fast-pack.com

Postby HowardH » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:56 pm

HowardH

Postby hilie_e » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:25 pm

hilie_e

Import Export Resource

Postby tuks » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:41 am

If you're looking for a good resource related to import/export you can view one below. I cannot believe more people do not import from other countries, the margins are phenominal. Point in case, a friend of mine sources cricket bats from India and sells them on eBay at 1000% margins. Lots of potential for most products.

http://www.global-ebooks.com/importexport.htm

Regards,

Tukshad
tuks

Re: Import Export Resource

Postby HowardH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:33 am

HowardH

Update on the import biz

Postby HowardH » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:49 pm

I got my first shipment of violins mid-March. I immediately found that there were several minor problems. First being I didn't get exactly what I ordered, second being that there were some unfinished details to be fixed on the violins.

I got to work, and started doing the proper setup on each violin, and tested them. I was amazed -- once these instruments are properly set up, they compare favorably to German violins that sell for 10x the price.

Yet ebay is currently flooded with junk violins (and a few good violins not properly set up) that sell for less than $100, many for less than what I had paid the manufacturer of my violins. I decided to see if I could get a premium price for a good quality fiddle, properly set up.

The answer is yes. There are people out there who will pay for quality, and I have sold several of my violins for around $200 each. I give a 21-day unconditional return policy, and so far, none of them have come back.

One thing I didn't count on -- I got two different cases, a standard and a deluxe model. I should have gotten only the deluxe model; it sold out almost immediately. I really should have known better; violinists tend to be very picky about their cases, and are willing to spend money for a good one.

I have spotted a couple of other opportunities along this line -- one is an instrument that is ok except for the cheap pegs. Properly fitted pegs would increase the value of the instrument by 15x or more, but the folks peddling these things are intent on just cranking out the sales by competing on price alone. These sellers probably don't even know anything at all about the merchandise they are offering.

I think I have found a niche that suits me. The competition for mid-level priced high quality instruments is very spotty, and I can make a good return on my time by doing simple adjustments and repairs that make a world of difference to the end-user.
HowardH

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:44 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience with this project, Howard. I'm glad to hear you found something that is such a good fit for you - and obviously a great value to your target market!

I noticed you are offering lessons locally - how is that 'playing' out for you?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby HowardH » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:43 am

HowardH

A followup...

Postby HowardH » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:01 pm

I'm currently on my 3rd batch of fiddles, and the 4th is on its way from China now.

I have had an epiphany of sorts. More that just a whack up side the head, but more like smack with a 2x4 between the eyes. Here's how this came about: It became fairly obvious after watching my wife go through the motions to become a powerseller that eBay just doesn't scale. By that, I mean that in order to sell twice as much of anything on ebay, you have to work at least twice as hard. My initial approach was to get violins from China, do some initial setup, and sell them with some value-added stuff (complete setup, with a fingerboard decal, decent strings, etc.) that basically was too much of a bother for most of the ebay sellers.

So far, so good. I didn't have to take new pictures, and write new descriptions like my wife did for her plus-size women's clothing, so I was selling almost as much dollar volume with about 20% of the effort she had to put in. So despite the fact that I knew that ebay doesn't scale well (heh heh, I figured I had a pretty good system after improving on my wife's approach), I increased the number of auctions I was running. At one point, I hit >150 active auctions. A dramatic increase (about 7x) of auction listing activity only doubled my sales, but increased my costs by 7x, and increased the amount of time I had to spend keeping stuff straight by more than 10x. I started making the occasional error in shipping or billing... After my first $400+ invoice for ebay fees, I decided I had enough of that. Ebay was doing great, but I wasn't.

So, I cut my listings back to fewer than 20, and started listing only once a week. I implemented some suggestions that I got from friends (and competitors -- in this business, the true competition consists of pretty good people). Result: My sell-through rate more than tripled, and my workload got cut by 90%, so I was actually making (a little) money again.

But that's not the end of that story. I was generally pleased with the quality of the violins I was getting from my current supplier (especially after getting ripped off twice by other Chinese suppliers), so I took a chance and ordered a couple of high-dollar instruments, and some carbon-fiber bows, along with 100 sets of some custom strings made to my specifications (for which I still have an exclusive), and some other very nice accessories. I listed one of the better violins for a premium price, along with a cello, some premium carbon-fiber bows, and a 17-inch (monster!) viola. They all sold in two weeks!!!! GACK! I just made more profit on 6 sales than I had made in the last 18 months of ebay sales, and it didn't take any more work to prepare a $600 violin than it does to set up a $160 violin! There's the 2x4 between the eyes!

QUALITY, not QUANTITY!

There is a market for high-quality instruments on ebay! I have successfully bootstrapped myself into position to sell $600-$1200 instruments against the junk peddlers who sell $40-$60 (expensive firewood) instruments. I think it mostly boils down to credibility; I've had very good feedback on my FAQ page, and I've had spendid results from my phone-demos (every instrument I've demoed on the phone, including the cello -- which I don't play all that well -- has sold immediately). One thing I really need to do is start making video clips to demo my better instruments, so that folks can download & view them any time.

I still plan to offer the <$200 violins, because I really believe it's good to offer a decent (if not particularly great) instrument that is adequate for a beginner, but won't break a family's budget. And, I still teach violin and viola lessons, not so much for the money as for the enjoyment. Hey, life is too short not to have fun!
HowardH

Postby Kate-2NicePeople » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:46 pm

Oh Howard thank you for sharing that journey with us! I (and I'm sure there are many others) always get so much good stuff out of your posts. And you crystalized my fuzzy brain when you say Quality not Quantity. After selling our first $3,000+ clock from our new eBay store just last night -- while I was out playing on a Friday night -- well let's just say that your 2x4 came swinging my way, lol! I really had thought people would go for the mid level clocks only and leave the floor clocks alone, but I too am finding there seems to be a market for the high end stuff on eBay, by giving added value services that outdo the competition. Rock on! And again, thanks for your updated, inspiring post.
Cheers, Kate
Kate-2NicePeople

Return to Online Auctions / eBay