[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What can I sell from South Africa on Ebay ? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What can I sell from South Africa on Ebay ?

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What can I sell from South Africa on Ebay ?

Postby shonaart » Wed May 26, 2004 5:14 am

Hi
Please could you give me some of your ideas as to what I could sell on Ebay that comes from South africa or Africa.
I live in South Africa and would like to sell on Ebay but things like DVD, Cd etc would not be worth it as the cost of shipping the item would be to costly.
I have tried to think of what people from the USA & UK and the rest of the world would want from South Africa.

I have a African art export business but I see other people that live in the USA already selling products like mine and their costs for shipping will be much lower than mine, so i can not compete against those prices.
I sell wholesale and get a few order a year as it is hard to find customers.
www.shonaart.co.za
Well thank you for your time and help.
Vaughan
shonaart

Postby Wordsworth » Wed May 26, 2004 6:38 am

:lol:

My immediate suggestion would be a digital information product. One that you create, produce and publish.

This product could be instantly downloaded to successful buyers.

In this ever shrinking world - can't you produce a digital product that covers Travel in South Africa. If you appeal to backpackers then you can only ask backpacker prices.

I'm sure there are many who would welcome valid and timely information covering Vacations, Travel and Holidays in South Africa and neighbouring countries. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Is there nothing - in South Africa that folks world wide would desire. I think it's time to put your thinking cap on.

I hesitate to suggest area's you should consider because I know nothing about what appeals and interests you. It would not be wise to enter an area where you could not sustain interest.

:wink:
Wordsworth

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed May 26, 2004 8:25 am

Hello Vaughan & Welcome :D

You have some beautiful pieces on your site. How does the ordering process work? I couldnt find that - your ordering & shipping options.

When you say it is hard to find customers, what exactly do you mean? Perhaps we can help you find them!!

As for what to sell on eBay, have you rearched maps? Maps of Africa get thousands of searches a day on the major search engines... I'm not sure how well they would do, or if you would be better off to build an informational site around this concept - and include your artwork for sale among other things.

Masks & music were a couple of others - and historical items.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby snowman2004 » Wed May 26, 2004 8:43 am

Hi there,

Hmm. An interesting question.......

You would think that there are things that you could get in SA that you can't get elsewhere.

So african art and craft items and ornaments may do well.

How about CDs of African music???

Theres probably quite a large number of South Africans living in England and other places that may be nostalgic about living in SA. Are there any foods/ chocolate/ candy from SA that you could sell.

I hope thats helpful,

Ray
snowman2004

What can I sell from South africa

Postby shonaart » Wed May 26, 2004 1:02 pm

Hi
Thank you Captkid, Lynn and Snowman2004 for a fantastic response, it is so nice to see that there are people out there in this world that are willing to help. Thanks everyone I think there are some great ideas.

Concerning the orderng of the sculptures, people will e-mail me and tell me which product they would like to purchase. I will then give them details about the item and what the shipping costs & shipping option are ie: FedEx or postoffice etc. Once I have the parcel weighed and I have the final costs I let the client know what the final amount is and he then makes a electronic transfer of the funds. I will then send the parcel. Each sculpture is hand made so each one is not the same weigh & size. ( shipping costs differ)

Hard to find customers
I only have two clients from the USA that buy wholesale. I do not know how to go about finding new clients that would buy wholesale or even a couple of sculptures from me. How do I reach the correct clients ie : shop owners etc.
When people actually hold the pieces and see them , they go crazy and cannot believe how beautiful they are. I have brochures in word with updated products as i do not know how to fix and change my website.
Well thank you all for your help its really appreciated.
Vaughan
shonaart

Re: What can I sell from South africa

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed May 26, 2004 1:23 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby shonaart » Wed May 26, 2004 1:38 pm

Hi
Once again thank you for the advice. I am going to do alot of reading and add the things you have suggested to my website.
Thanks
Vaughan
shonaart

Postby mots32 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:59 pm

Vaughan:

Why don't you try to get listed in some wholesale directories?
I would suggest contacting . They publish Wholesale and Dropship directories, and they are constantly updating them. Contact them and see if they will list you in one of their directories.

Good Luck!!!
mots32

Return to Online Auctions / eBay