[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - I put "live" video on my Ebay auctions today,feedb • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I put "live" video on my Ebay auctions today,feedb

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

I put "live" video on my Ebay auctions today,feedb

Postby brogary » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:33 pm

My ebay seller name is < brogary >. This is an experiment on my part. I'm trying to personalize the Ebay buying experience by showing a live (prerecorded) video clip with a reassurance message.

I have lots of looker an am trying to encourage a few more bidders with the video. Yes, the video is of me, I hope it doesn't scare anyone off.
:shock: :idea:
brogary

Postby snowman2004 » Sat Mar 27, 2004 11:24 am

snowman2004

Postby fast-pack.com » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:38 pm

fast-pack.com

Here's a personal observation

Postby Gary H » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:06 pm

I've tested short video clips in my auctions in the past. Every time I do my sales go down. When I get rid of the clips they go back up.

What many of us don't realize is the most of the world is still on dial-up connections. some of which are still old 28,800 bps lines. It can get awfully frustrating to 70% of visitors on dial up, when they either aren't able to view video content or they have to wait several minutes for it to load.

You should also keep in mind that 50% of the computer world still runs windows 98 or older (and these older computers will definitely have difficulty viewing video.)

While, as sellers, we may feel they look 'neat', we need to know that they will actually benefit us. If your customers can't view the clips, it will definitely do you more harm than good.

Just my 13 cents worth.
Gary H

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:10 pm

Good point, Gary ;)

Perhaps it would be a better idea to link to an off-site page with the video in your auction listing. Ex: "Click here to see video footage of xyz - file size: ---, may take x minutes to load depending on your internet connection".

Permission video'ing :)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Mindy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:32 am

Video is a great idea, but as it has been pointed out, many internet users may not be viewing it and simply clicking off your auction because of the loading time. Instead, I use a simple voice message on my auctions (you can view my auctions at if you'd like to see how I do it). My voice message is a small .wav file that is about the same size as the photograph of my item! While I haven't noticed a significant increase in bidding or final values since starting to use my voice message, I have gotten feedback from buyers that say it's a "nice touch". :D

--Mindy
Mindy

Return to Online Auctions / eBay