[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Advertising an Auction, Tips Anyone? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Advertising an Auction, Tips Anyone?

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Advertising an Auction, Tips Anyone?

Postby goodtaste » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:02 pm

goodtaste

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:57 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andre Chaperon » Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:49 pm

Here is a braindump/synopsis to get you going ;-)

STEP 1 - Become Confident with the Selling Process

Before you start hitting the big time you need to start small.
FOCUS! Your bidding/selling confidence will increase with
experience, so first gain that experience. Buy that first item
and carefully observe the process - it is important!

Start by selling all that unwanted or unused stuff lying about
your house, attic or seller. Go down to the local garage sale or
market and try find and purchase bargain items.

Go home and write and effective title. Take pictures, many
pictures, to showcase your item at its best. Write a great
item title and description.

If you don't own a digital camera - BUY ONE!

Do some research for similar items on eBay using the "completed
items" option. Find out the average price your item sells for.
Find out which get the most bids and why (low starting price
maybe).

With this you now effectively have the knowledge to successfully
list your item(s).

STEP 2 - Specialize

In deciding what you will start buying and selling, my suggestion
is to pick something that interests you, like items related to a
hobby you have. If you pick something that you like, it will be
much easier and enjoyable to stay involved with it.

Find your source of products to sell. These products and
opportunities are all around you.

Once you have found an item (or collection of items) that is good
for you, start to specialize. Become a master/guru on supplying
the eBay community of buyers your product.

The bottom line is FOCUS on one thing at a time.

Conduct your business in a professional manner and your customers
will quickly become repeat customers!

STEP 3 - Get Tools

If you are serious about making eBay something profitable, then
you WILL need to use tools to make your life easier, and more
productive.

Some of these tools will be free and others you'll need to pay
for! DON'T be afraid of paying for resources or tools that will
inevitably assist and help make your business more profitable,
easier, and fun!

If you don't own a digital camera, GET ONE QUICK! You'll end up
regretting it if you try and make do without one. You don't want
to be perceived as unprofessional!

STEP 4 - Receive Payments

Firstly get a PayPal account HERE:

I personally only accept PayPal payments. I believe it to be the
most simple, secure and easy form of payment. I always have
money lying in my PayPal account, so I don't even need cash to
purchase items most of the time :)

PayPal is also used by between 80%-90%+ of eBayers!

You are really going to have to decide on what payment options
you would be happy to receive. If you don't mind receiving
checks, going down to the bank to cash them, waiting for
clearance, then only shipping the item - then that's alright!
Remember the more payment option you accept, the more bidders you
will "probably" attract. You balance the pro's and con's of each
method yourself.

Once you have received confirmation that the buyer has paid you,
you will then need to PROMPTLY ship your item to your buyer.

STEP 5 - Prompt Shipping is a Must!

In the USA I would suggest you use USPS Priority Mail. Your
customers will love the fast shipping!
http://www.usps.com

For Free Online Shipping Labels click HERE:
http://www.usps.com/cgi-bin/api/shipping_label.htm

USPS Postage Calculator:
http://postcalc.usps.gov

Parcel Tracking:
http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm

Perhaps the best kept secret regarding shipping is the fact that,
so long as you ship via USPS Priority Mail, LITERALLY ALL of the
shipping materials are FR*EE! Boxes, tape, labels, and envelopes
are all free.

And ...

If you ship via USPS Priority Mail, it actually enhances your
sales. How? Because you can tell people, in your ads, "We Ship
Priority", or "Priority Shipping Cost $x.xx". People online LOVE
instant gratification and they will really love the idea of
getting something only a couple of days after payment.

STEP 6 - Request Feedback!

If everything went well with your auction, you will want to
request that your buyer "Leave you feedback". In return, you
will leave them positive feedback.

Positive feedback is your reputation as a trader on eBay!

I include a line in all my emails with the buyer. It reads like
this:

"I will leave you positive feedback after you leave me the same."

By adding this line to your emails you accomplish two things.
Firstly, this person now knows that if they leave you negative
feedback then you have the ability to leave them negative
feedback too. And believe you me, nobody wants negative feedback
on eBay. Secondly, this person also knows that if they want to
build their positive feedback rating, then they have to leave you
positive feedback.

The feedback system on eBay is NOT entirely fair. It's easy for
a deadbeat bidder to unfairly tarnish your feedback because you
gave him negative feedback for not paying you. For this reason,
I only leave feedback once it has first been left for me!

It's not perfect, but it works for me.

STEP 7 - Repeat!

Simply repeat process 1 through 6! It's that straight forward :)
Every time you repeat these steps you will get better at it, more
efficient, and ultimately more experienced.

I hope this helps a little :D
Andre Chaperon
Elite Member

Re: Advertising an auction. . .

Postby goodtaste » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:44 pm

:) Thank you very much! I think the suggestions are great and will help a lot. It is a confusing process because I'm working and venturing out at the same time, but I know it will work out if I do it the right way and stick to it. God is good.
One thing that I forgot to include in my original question and which I'm curious about is, how long before your auction should you start to put out the word that you're going to do it and what your're going to have, should you try, as they say, to awaken interest before the items go on the block or should you just wait until they are being auctioned?
Thanks!
Clotilde
goodtaste

Postby snowman2004 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:04 am

Hi,

It just depends on what you are selling............

If you are selling something where there is a community of potential buyers, of, say, military badges, then publicising your intention to auction badges in relevant news groups/ forums etc might be a good idea. I'd do it when you start your auction - and I'd do a 10 day auction.

However, eBay is so large your potential customers could come from anywhere in the US/ world and I don't think that it is worth publicising your auctions unless there is a community of potential customers and it easy to get to them.

I would suggest that you start off by buying things on eBay ( preferably from people with a respectable feedback ratings), just to see how it is done. If I were you, I'd also start selling junk you don't want anymore. Start with a low starting price - say, $0.99 and see what you can get (can be very exciting). Build up a positive feedback rating of say, 10 or 20, (and no negatives!) then you are ready to go......!

I have a number of free eBay ebooks on my site from the USA (see signature below) for you to download. There is lots to read about ebay on my site as well, and although the site is for ebayers in the UK, there is very little difference between eBay UK and EBay in the US. So you should find some useful stuff there.

One final thought - almost without exception, the people you meet on eBay are great. As long as you keep to eBays rules there is no such thing as 'the right way' on eBay, just be fair and truthful with people, treating them in the way you would like to be treated, and you will do fine.

Ray
snowman2004

Thanks, Snowman!

Postby goodtaste » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:11 pm

goodtaste

Return to Online Auctions / eBay