[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Let's Talk About eBay's VeRO Program • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Let's Talk About eBay's VeRO Program

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Let's Talk About eBay's VeRO Program

Postby KCantrell » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:17 am

Recently I experienced a four day suspension from eBay as a result of their VeRO program. During this suspension I learned a great deal about the VeRO program, Copyright/Trademark laws, and the rights of the American eBay'ing entreprenuer.

Briefly, eBay seller and VeRO member "lovepotionperfumes" has obtained trademarks on "Love Potion" and "Love Potion # 9." As a wax tart seller, I sell a fragrance entitled "Love Potion No. 9." After listing this fragrance in January, my auction was cancelled. I made contact with the VeRO member, per eBay's suggestion, asking for a written explanation of why my the auction was VeRO'd. I received a one sentence reply, "See my VeRO page for more information."

Frankly, that wasn't good enough. I then opted to do some research and learned that she did not have "Love Potion No. 9" as it belongs to a deer pheromones distributor. So I relisted the item. Six days later, this auction was VeRO'd again and I was immediately suspended.

I'll admit, I backed down. I signed the form with eBay that says, in a nutshell, "I've been bad. I'll be good. Please, oh please, let me back in." And they did.

But during the down time, I really educated myself and I wanted to share with each of you what I learned.

If you fall victim to VeRO, or even before you do - educate yourself, visit This seller has truly set a standard for the eBay seller as relates to the VeRO program. It is because of this husband/wife team that I too have decided that, despite the fact eBay reinstated me, I intended to still fight "lovepotionperfumes" to prevent any further VeRO'ing of my auctions or others simply because she believes she can trademark any phrase and take it out of the English language.

Please know that I respect the right of individuals and companies to trademark their ideas, their unique business/product names; however, the US Trademark & Patent Office is allowing such things as "Soccer Mom" and "Early American" to be taken out of the English language. And eBay is allowing those with such "trademarks" to cancel auctions that are using these so-common-that-they-are-found-in-Websters descriptions in their titles and descriptions.

Educate yourself, folks. I've been on eBay since 1996. This is the first time it happened to me; it can happen to you too.

Thanks for allowing me my soapbox time. :)

Kim
KCantrell

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:11 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

re: VeRO and eBay

Postby tabberone » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:33 pm

I hope y'all don't mind me butting in.

We don't mind people trademarking names, but I haven't heard of anyone but Shabby Chic trying to stop people from using the words in trade. I mean they didn't want people to do something like:

French Chic, white shelving, Shabby Roses

They would shut people down for infringing on their name! The words aren't even together.

I mean if I had to pay a royalty every time I used Bite Me (trademarked) I would be broker than I am.
tabberone

Re: re: VeRO and eBay

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:41 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Re: re: VeRO and eBay

Postby KCantrell » Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:35 pm

KCantrell

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:22 pm

Thanks for the information. I have never heard of the Vero program until this post.

Best Wishes

Stefani :lol:
MommyEnterprises

Return to Online Auctions / eBay