[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - About the "About Me" Page in EBay • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

About the "About Me" Page in EBay

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

If you are a registered EBay seller, do you have an EBay page?

yes
87%
no
13%

Total votes : 15

About the "About Me" Page in EBay

Postby teapotdee » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:14 pm

Hi. I just got finished optimizing my "About Me" page in Ebay: 8)

I'd love to see an in-depth discussion get started on how to
integrate this valuable EBay perk with an active website.

Any ideas? :idea: Questions? :?: Worries? :?

Post the url to your "about me" here, and we can trade
ideas on how to get the most out of it.
teapotdee

Postby robert adams » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:40 pm

Hey Denise, very nice. I have just begun Ebaying myself. (flogger12)
I don't have a "me" page yet. but after looking at yours I think I will get busy and do one.
I thought that you weren't allowed to put links to your website on the page.
Apparently not, cause you have several.

I will have to look into it some more.
You sure must take a lot of time packing your vases, etc. to keep them safe during shipping. I sold a set of cds and they got to the buyer in several pieces.
luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby teapotdee » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:03 am

Your are allowed three "favorite" links, if you look at the template that they provide (mine is not the template) and they allow a variety of links as long as they are not directly selling. You can connect to your own business, for example, but not to another and not in a way that promotes selling of items "off" EBay. I think the links I have there are not primarily "selling" sites: they are a forum, an ezine, and my own site.

You also can NOT link to any other auctions.

For example, I offer my website clients special assistance such as designing & connecting their ebay "about me" to their site, but I'm not allowed to say that in my "About Me" because I would then be selling my service without putting it on auction.

The best thing to do is what I did:
don't take anybody's word for anything.
Set up your page and then email EBay's customer service and ask them if you are in compliance. That way you won't get in trouble and you will have a record of approval. If you are not in compliance, they will treat it as a mistake and give you a chance to fix it.

I did that months ago when someone told me you can't collect names for an elist. EBay told me they don't mind if you invite people to sign an elist in your "about me", you just can't assume that everyone you meet in ebay can be put on your list. They have to decide to go somewhere to sign up.
teapotdee

Postby Tam » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:26 am

Does anyone have any idea how many people actully check the about me page? I'm just curious if there is any dat on this since I never click on it. I check sellers feedback but have never went to an about me page.

Tam
Tam

Postby teapotdee » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:45 am

There are no counters offered for "About Me", but with this particular launching (this is my first "pro" page with Ebay) I am going to track it through the hits in my own service. Every time a certain image in that page is pulled from my server, I'll have those stats and I have the counters on my auction products to compare the numbers on those days.
teapotdee

Postby robert adams » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:56 am

Well, like I said I am pretty new to the ebay stuff. However, I have quite often clicked on the ME pages. Usually I am trying to find a seller's website when I do it.
sometimes you can and sometimes you can't/

so far in a couple of weeks, I have sold almost $200 worth of my stuff from home. I have bought about $600 worth of products. My first idea was to buy enough camera gear at good enough prices to get me a good camera for free.
Well, I have the gear that I want to sell listed, now I have to wait until it sells to see if I break even or what.

Also, I managed to buy enough computer parts to upgrade my mom's computer from an old amd500 boat anchor to a amd1.6 bad boy for only $100.
that is going to be her christmas present.

seeya,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

about me page..

Postby jamjar » Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:31 pm

jamjar

Postby teapotdee » Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:23 am

teapotdee

ebay

Postby jamjar » Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:26 pm

Hi there I agree with you it is a great way to advertise your website ...plus if you make a fewsales its a added bonus .. :wink:
jamjar

To all of you who are in this thread...

Postby Michael Perry » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:15 am

Michael Perry

about me

Postby jamjar » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:16 am

jamjar

about me: hit counter

Postby we_meet » Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:21 am

Hi folks,

There is a free hit counter available from Andale. I am using it in my about me page:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/topebuy

You can use the HTML code if you like.

Charles

Top Quality MP3, USB Flash Players at Top Bargain Prices
http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/topebuy
we_meet

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:20 pm

My Ebay About Me page is located at:

Best Wishes

Stefani :P
MommyEnterprises

'About me' pages

Postby snowman2004 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:56 am

I think the about me page is a real marketing opportunity if used in the right way.

I was wondering - Has anyone here tried to submit their about me page to the search engines and if you have, what sort of response have you received?

==============

For ebay UK money making hints, tips and inspiration visit
snowman2004

re: about me

Postby tabberone » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:38 pm

I've never submitted my about me page or my website to any search engine and I come up on the front page of most searches for my major product lines.
tabberone

Next

Return to Online Auctions / eBay