[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Tips & Tricks for eBay Sellers - Increase Your Profit • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Tips & Tricks for eBay Sellers - Increase Your Profit

What to sell? How to get started? Whether you want to auction one item, or use online auctions as your full time business - join us here to discuss eBay and other auction sites!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Tips & Tricks for eBay Sellers - Increase Your Profit

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:00 pm

"EBay receives over 1.5 billion page views per month! Over 9,000 new users register with eBay every day! This makes eBay one of the greatest money-making opportunities on the internet!"

With that in mind... Here are some tips to capitalize on the eBay traffic:

Sure, I want to make money on eBay... but what would I sell??

You can sell virutally anything on eBay! From household items you would normally sell in a yard sale for pennies on the dollar, to informational products (advertising space, ebooks, publications, reports, etc) that dont even require shipping!

Do some research! Choose an item (clothing, a book, electronics - something specific), and see how well it has done on eBay in the past by searching similar completed auctions:

The same item may bring much higher bids in one auction than it does another... Pay close attention to the differences in their ads: Starting/Ending Time, Title or Headline, Description & Photos.

Some items, such as computers & electronics, tend to bring the highest bid when they end on Saturday night. Keep in mind the time zone differences, and try not to set auctions to end during church time or business hours on either the east coast or the west coast. Internet advertising, and informational products (which target the office worker or home business owner) might do best on a weekday in the afternoon hours. Get the idea?

TIP: If you are promoting your eBay auctions online, be sure to sign up for eBay's Affiliate Program - A great way to make even more money from your auctions! You must sign up with Commission Junction (free) by clicking here: http://www.qksrv.net/click-1209234-7282777 , to get access to eBay Affiliate Links.

If you are still looking for products to sell, keep in mind that you can purchase wholesale products in large lots on eBay! Click here for current listings:

Make that item SELL!

You must add good, clear pictures of your product to your auction listing! Using either a digital camera or scanner, make sure you take clear pictures that show detail.

Gain attention to your auction by making the most of the 45-Character Title! For example, lets say you were selling a piece of unused software:

QUICKBOOKS PRO 2002 - 5 USER - NEW/SEALED

Quickbooks Software Program for sale

Obviously, the first title would get more clicks!

Next is your description... Include everything about your product - size, dimensions, brand name, etc... any pertinent details. Add extra pictures without extra cost by using a free image hosting service and simple html tags.

----------------------

Your About Me Page

Once you sign up for your free eBay account, and get ready to sell, be sure to set up your About Me page! This is the one place that you can tell all of your potential bidders about yourself, your website, and your product line. What you arent allowed to include in your auction description... you CAN include here! A colorful "me" image shows up beside your eBay user name on all pages & transactions, allowing viewers to click for more information.

See these two examples:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/hostmary/

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/lynn%40 ... twork.com/

Follow-up & Back-end Sales

Be sure that you use a signature file in all email communication with bidders & auction winners. Include information about your website, your contact information, and include a PS if you would like to bring their attention to something else they may be interested in.

Follow up with your auction winners via email and make sure that they received the item and are happy with it. Encourage them to leave you feedback, and do the same for them. This promotes confidence in other potential bidders that you are a legitimate seller.

:D I hope you find this information useful! You can check out site-owner Mary Goulet's auctions as a great example by checking out the graphic eBay showcase on her Sponsor Info page: http://www.MaryGoulet.net/sponsorinfo.html .

I also really enjoyed the article by Corey Rudl (one of my favorite marketing experts!) and have made it available here:

"Create a Bidding Frenzy and Sell More Product Through the Giant Online Auction Sites!" by Corey Rudl
http://www.webservicenetwork.com/articl ... ctions.htm
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Thanks Lynn

Postby James Mann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:59 pm

I have tried to sell some ebooks on eBay with little, very little success.

I hope your tips help me.

I have put eBay on the back burner for awhile because it cost me but didn't pay me.
James Mann

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jun 02, 2003 3:12 pm

Hello James & Welcome to the SSWT Forum :D

I did not have luck with ebooks either on the one run I did a few months ago, though I have seen quite a few sellers have much success with selling ebooks and info-products on eBay.

Which category you list your items in seems to have a huge impact on the number of sales... The most successful info-product sellers had their items listed in the wrong category. Now when I tried this, I had all of my listings deleted by the eBay admin :roll:

One way around this is to offer a small product as a bonus to the winning bidder - and put your ebook listing in the category that fits that product... making sure, of course, that you are reaching your targeted market with both the product (the bonus) and the category.

Your About Me page is a great way to upsell or lead visitors to your website - are you currently using this method?

I recommend spending a good hour searching completed auctions (as described in my original post above) and see which category successful auctions were listed in versus unsuccessful auctions... also take a good look at the description, their About Me page and amount of feedback, and their titles (titles mean A LOT).

Good luck - keep me posted - and I'm here if you want to brainstorm some more on this topic :D
Last edited by Lynn Terry on Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Thanks Lynn

Postby James Mann » Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:39 pm

James Mann

Selling books on eBay..

Postby Pete Egeler » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:18 am

Pete Egeler

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:25 am

Sounds great to me!

"Dumpster Diving For Fun & Profit"
LOL - I think it would definitely sell!

I have a page: - would you like to exchange links in the sidebars (to open in a new window, of course) as an additional resource to each of our visitors? Feel free to email me with your thoughts on that ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby douglasmarks » Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:01 pm

douglasmarks

KaBid Online Auctions

Postby cinmar » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:42 pm

cinmar

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:16 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby aromaticwings » Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:32 pm

aromaticwings

Find What to sale

Postby Abi » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:07 pm

Abi

Re: Find What to sale

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Oct 12, 2003 2:13 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Analysing Ebay

Postby OneAuction » Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:20 pm

The link is http://www.whizanalysis.com/default.html .

Deep Analysis from Hammertap is also good.

These days on Ebay, unless you are Ritz Cameras or KB Toys, or you are the inventor or manufacturer of a certain product, you need to establish multiple sources of product inventory. If you sit on one product , or one source too long, eventually you'll get run over.

At one time, I was probably the biggest seller on Ebay of one particular diet pill, selling upwards of 100 bottles in a single auction. It was only about 4 weeks before several others discovered my success, copied it and cut the price to nothing. Same thing happened with "nose hair trimmers", believe it or not.

Anyway...You can't afford to get to comfortable on Ebay. The dynamics change constantly and you have to be able to change with them to stay ahead of the pack.

These two analysis tools can help alot.

Martin Jones
OneAuction

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Oct 18, 2003 12:40 pm

Excellent advice, Martin!

Welcome to the SSWT Forum :D - with your expertise in both web development and online auctions, along with your wife's input & experience as well (a warm welcome to you both!), your contributions on the various topics will be greatly appreciated!

Also - I love your website! Very well written, visually appealing, and great information!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby ChristyK » Thu Oct 23, 2003 6:56 pm

ChristyK
Elite Member

Next

Return to Online Auctions / eBay