[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Researching possible niche markets • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Researching possible niche markets

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Researching possible niche markets

Postby Jason Christensen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:15 pm

My name is Jason and I have been researching possible niche markets to enter. I have been following the steps from Ken Envoys information to research ideas and compare demand vs competition. I would like to get some feedback regarding my findings:

I found a 3 word phrase keyword that is searched for 61200 times according to overture. I did a google search for the same phrase enclosed in quotes and it returned 48000 sites. Does this seem like a good ratio to any of you experts? Compared to some of my other ideas it seems good to me but what do I know.

Thank you for any suggestions you might have.
Last edited by Jason Christensen on Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Christensen

Additional info

Postby Jason Christensen » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:19 pm

I forgot something, when I enter my keyword phrase in without qoutes i receive over 10 million results.
Jason Christensen

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi Jason & Welcome :D

The number of results doesnt really matter - you're only going to be competing with the top 10 results (you DO want to be listed on the first page of the results, after all). So analyze those, and forget the rest.

As for your numbers, that sounds to me like somewhat of a general phrase. Is it? Is there a tighter niche in there somewhere you might target? Or lots of sub-niches you will also target on the same website you are creating?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jason Christensen » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:31 am

Lynn,

I am planning on addressing many smaller niches inside of my main keyword phrase, the stats are for the main phrase which is a sub of a veeeery large keyword. When I pull up the websites located on the first page it does not look like they are optimized or even use meta tags for keywords (I know there are other ways to address keywords). I think I have a decent chance of competing but again only been at this for a month or two still learning. (So much to learn)

I also would like to know if when you do a google search to look at competition, do you enclose the keyword in quotes?

Thank you for the information you have already supplied, hopefully when I learn somemore I can contribute to this great forum.
Jason Christensen

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:07 am

I dont usually use quotes, no - I have to imagine most of my searchers wont, so I want to analyze the results without.

I get what you're saying about it being a more general niche - and thats all fine and good. I'm all for large content sites, myself ;) You will want to choose a good keyword phrase for each category and your internal pages as well - to get rankings across your entire site (great way to get solid traffic numbers).

At the current time, the most important factor is how many inbound links those other sites have. So you want to look at the top 10 that come up for your keyword phrase... and analyze their inbound links. Not only how many, but how good they are too (quality).

I did a 3-part series a while back on creating affiliate sites - this second part has what you are looking for I believe: http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/a ... 122104.htm . Check that out and let me know if that helps. It talks about researching backward links (among other things).

(backward links and inbound links - same thing)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics