[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What Email Program Would You Recommend? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What Email Program Would You Recommend?

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What Email Program Would You Recommend?

Postby Rose » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:44 pm

I used to use Eudora, then switched to Outlook 2003.

Frankly, I hate Outlook. :?

So, aside from Eudora (which I do like, but the newest version doesn't seem to work well on my computer for some bizarre reason) and Outlook, what other email program could you recommend?

I use Mozilla as my web browser and wonder how efficient the mail program that comes with it would be? Or would you suggest an online program (in which case, it would be much handier to access from any computer no matter where I was).

As I have several websites, I need a central program to access mail (hence why I don't use the email management systems that are available in the Cpanels for each site.)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
Rose
Elite Member

Postby stephfoster » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:57 pm

I use Netscape Communicator, and I do like its setup for email. The only thing that can be difficult about it is changing the passwords for email. It's not that hard once you know how, but the instructions on how to make that change are not that easily found.
stephfoster

I'm a Mozilla Convert

Postby wordmuse » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:42 pm

Hi Rose,

First of all, I've never seen the perfect
email client anywhere. But there are
some good ones.

I long ago gave up on Microsoft. They
seem to be about the least responsive
company I've ever seen. How they got
to be so big means that (a) either they
used to be big on customer service and
stopped once they got their piece of the
pie or (b) there's a myth about customer
service or (c) Bill Gates made a deal with
the hmm-hmm and needing great customer
service in order to succeed doesn't apply
to Microsoft anymore.

So - what to use...?

I like Eudora, but the version I used was
advertiser supported, meaning I had to
deal with ads (like I didn't get enough of those).
Also it's ability to deal with spam and to filter
email left a bit to be desired.

So I recently discovered Mozilla's Thunderbird.
Terrific program. It's probably got more bells
and whistles than most people will ever need,
it's FREE, and it has no ads in the interface. Also
it's available for MAC and Linux as well as Windows.

Worth a look.

http://www.mozilla.com

Regards,
Bal
wordmuse
Elite Member

Postby Teena » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:24 am

Hi Rose,

I've been using Eudora on Mac forever, and I love the incredible fast search facility (I have thousands of emails going back several years), the personalities, the easy filtering (and spam filtering).

I have had to use other programs at client premises (on pcs) but I'm so glad to come home to Eudora - the free version has a small ad which I put in the bottom right corner of my screen, it's only about 1.5x1.5", and I'm used to it now.

I will check out the Mozilla free offering, and see if it works on OS 9.

Perhaps ask yourself which email features are the most important for you, and then look at a product which delivers those exceptionally well.

Good luck, cheers
Teena
Teena

Postby ashley3471 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:50 am

ashley3471

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:41 pm

CorpRebel

Postby nsusa » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:21 pm

Have you tried this yet?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Christoph
nsusa

Off the wall

Postby Warren Contreras » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:54 pm

Warren Contreras

Postby LuckyMommy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:39 am

LuckyMommy

Postby Rose » Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:46 am

Thanks for all the replies.

As I mentioned originally, I did use Eudroa at one time and really like it, but the latest version just wasn't working right on my machine and was causing problems. We couldn't figure out what was wrong with it (it worked fine on my husband's computer). In any case my husband installed Outlook for me instead.

I did download Thunderbird and I'm going to give it a try this week.
Rose
Elite Member

Outlook has me out of my mind

Postby Jason Moffatt » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:07 pm

The other day my computer updated itself and changed the default email from Yahoo over to Outlook Express. This has been driving me nuts, and I cannot seem to get Yahoo back as the default. I have tried to reset the default but there is no option for yahoo. The only options it shows are MSN, HotMail, Outlook, and some other garbage.

ARGGGggggg, Outlook, argggggggggggggggggggggg
Jason Moffatt
Elite Member

Postby netadventures » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:55 pm

I use Eudora, but I downloaded Thunderbird a while back to check it out. Unfortunately, my ISP requires me to use its email address as a relay for sending out email through my other addresses, and I couldn't seem to set the relay up for Thunderbird, so now I'm back to Eudora. Which I don't really mind - I've used it for nearly seven years now.

BJ
netadventures

Postby theuniek1 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:37 pm

I've been using Thunderbird for almost a year now without too many complaints.

I like the speed, ease of use, and of course, price :D.

I know it's been mentioned and you've already downloaded it - but I just wanted to go ahead and throw another recommendation for it into the mix.

The only complaint which I will warn you about now is:
The RSS reader is buggy. It's a known bug and they're working on a fix (hopefully with the next release).

BJ - What do you mean you couldn't set up the mail relay. If you want to give it another shot, shoot me an email and I'll try to walk you through it :)

Jason - You're trying to get Yahoo! back as your default mail handler...in Outlook? I don't quite understand what you mean regarding the Yahoo! as your default mail handler.

Warmest,
Teli
theuniek1

Postby netadventures » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:44 pm

netadventures

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:38 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics