This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

 

 


Why You Need a Subscriber List to Grow Your Business

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Why You Need a Subscriber List to Grow Your Business

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:12 am

If you're a reader of mine, you've probably heard me say before that a good subscriber list is "guaranteed income." That's because it is. Whenever I mail to my list it always brings back income - ALWAYS! But you don't have to take my word for it. Read top marketing blogs like ProBlogger or OnlineMarketingBlog, and see how much value their readers place in their lists. Or ask any successful online marketer like Lynn Terry of SelfStartersWeeklyTips.com or Adam Urbanski of TheMarketingMentors.com and they will tell you the same thing. "The money is in the list!"

Let me explain why. For the most part, visitors to your website are complete strangers. They don't know you, therefore they don't trust you. They drop by, window shop a bit, and then leave after a few seconds. That's right, seconds. Don't believe me? Check your website logs. How long is the typical visitor spending on your site?

See what you're up against? That's why on average, 99% of visitors to your website leave without purchasing anything. And unless you have a system in place to collect their name and e-mail address, many of those visitors will be lost forever. That's good potential income down the drain.

There's an old saying in marketing. "It takes seven contacts with a prospect to convert them into a customer." That means a prospect has to see your marketing message at least seven times before they're comfortable enough to buy from you.

That's why your subscriber list is so important. Even if they haven't purchased anything yet, these are people who are interested in what you have to say. They are guaranteed future income.

Think about it. These people have taken the time and made the effort to subscribe to receive your newsletter, blog updates, whatever. This gives you the ability to have contact with these people over and over again. Eventually, these people will develop enough trust in you to purchase your products and services. And if you treat them right, they'll keep on purchasing from you. Heck, they might even bring their friends and family members with them.

Remember what I said earlier? 99% of visitors to your website will leave without purchasing anything. That means out of every one hundred visitors to your website, if you're lucky, you may get one sale. Conversely, your subscriber list will convert at a much higher rate. My list consistently converts at around 15%. That means for every 100 people who receive my mailing, fifteen of them buy something. And I'm not talking results I get sometimes. I get these kinds of results every time I mail to my list.

Which would you rather have, one sale per hundred visitors or fifteen sales? When you compare the numbers, building a subscriber list is really a no-brainer, isn't it?

And it's easier than its ever been to manage your list. E-mail marketing services like CostantContact.com or VerticalResponse.com will handle everything for you - and at a reasonable cost.

So, what are you waiting for? If you haven't started building your subscriber list, get started today!

David Jackson
Last edited by David Jackson on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
David Jackson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Postby tknoppe » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:45 am

Good information David. I've heard the stats that you will average one sale for every 200 site visitors.

I really liked what you said here:

"It takes seven contacts with a prospect to convert them into a customer." That means a prospect has to see your marketing message at least seven times before they're comfortable enough to buy from you.


Your point above made me feel the need to mention this somewhat related point about Twitter, because many are promoting Twitter as the end-all marketing tool. While Twitter is a good marketing tool, and can certainly be effective, it isn't the same as an autoresponder/subscriber list like aweber; because you can send your tweet through - even 7 times - but if you're following over 4k people like I am, I may be lucky to even see your tweet one time, much less seven.

However, if I chose to signup to your double opt-in list, then I would definitely see your message all 7 times you sent it, thus increasing that know-like-trust factor and likelihood of eventual sale.

Twitter is great to drive the traffic TO your site to get them to signup for your list, but not the best tool to do the actual selling.
User avatar
tknoppe
Elite Member
 
Posts: 1026
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:36 am
Location: Missouri, USA

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:51 pm

tknoppe wrote:Good information David. Many are promoting Twitter as the end-all marketing tool. While Twitter is a good marketing tool, and can certainly be effective, it isn't the same as an autoresponder/subscriber list like aweber; because you can send your tweet through - even 7 times - but if you're following over 4k people like I am, I may be lucky to even see your tweet one time, much less seven.

However, if I chose to signup to your double opt-in list, then I would definitely see your message all 7 times you sent it, thus increasing that know-like-trust factor and likelihood of eventual sale.

Twitter is great to drive the traffic TO your site to get them to signup for your list, but not the best tool to do the actual selling.


Thank you, Traci! I'm glad you mentioned that Twitter isn't a "be-all, end- all marketing tool." It really isn't. I've been raging a "battle royale" about that very thing on another forum.

Unfortunately, it got pretty ugly. Nonetheless, I stuck to my guns. :wink:

David Jackson
User avatar
David Jackson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Postby lisamariemary » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:07 pm

Yikes David - that sounds horrible and rotten!! Forum wars can get so ugly!!
User avatar
lisamariemary
Elite Member
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 10:29 pm
Location: Alabama

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 pm

lisamariemary wrote:Yikes David - that sounds horrible and rotten!! Forum wars can get so ugly!!


It was extremely ugly, Lisa Marie Mary. The problem with that particular forum is there's a small group of about four or five members (clique) who have decided to declare war on me. For whatever reason, they consider me a threat.

I'd leave in a heartbeat except for three reasons:

1. Half of my income originates from that particular forum.

2. If I leave those disgrunted members win. I refuse to let them win.

3. Most of the members there appreciate my help.


David Jackson
User avatar
David Jackson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Re: Why You Need a Subscriber List to Grow Your Business

Postby Publisher-For-You » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:03 pm

David Jackson wrote:E-mail marketing services like CostantContact.com or VerticalResponse.com will handle everything for you - and at a reasonable cost.


Please forgive me for mentioning my own newsletter hosting service, which starts at $1/month.

Newsletters-For-You.com
Publisher-For-You
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:18 am
Location: Gainesville Florida USA

Re: Why You Need a Subscriber List to Grow Your Business

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Publisher-For-You wrote: Please forgive me for mentioning my own newsletter hosting service, which starts at $1/month.


I wouldn't have a problem with your shameless plug, if you had contributed something to the thread. You contributed nothing. You just plugged your newsletter service and left.

That kind of crap really rubs me the wrong way!

David Jackson
User avatar
David Jackson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Postby Publisher-For-You » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:23 pm

My apologies David.

My contribution is spending a few months coding around the clock to provide a useful service, and then giving it away to everybody on the Net for one single buck a month.

Does your contribution to readers here equal that?

All that said, I would happily delete the post, if there was a button to do so. If a mod can delete the post, please do with my blessing. Again, apologies, wasn't my intention to start a problem. I won't comment on this further, no forum wars for me thanks.
Publisher-For-You
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:18 am
Location: Gainesville Florida USA

Postby David Jackson » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Publisher-For-You wrote: My apologies David. I won't comment on this further, no forum wars for me thanks.


Apology accepted. There won't be any wars. I've spoken my peace, and harbor no ill will toward you. :)

David Jackson
User avatar
David Jackson
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: Schenectady, NY

Postby Publisher-For-You » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:00 pm

David Jackson wrote:... and harbor no ill will toward you. :)


Same here, no worries, these things happen.
Publisher-For-You
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:18 am
Location: Gainesville Florida USA


Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests

cron