This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

E-Books

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

E-Books

Postby DJSFran32 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm

I don't know if I am at the right place or not and I am sure somewhere in the forum this topic has been descussed but if we can do this just one more time. I have a web site that I would like to offer a free e-book. I'm not completely sure I understand how to do this. Is there any direction you can head me to for research on how to do this.

Thanks,
DJSFran32

Postby angienewton » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Great question and something I need to learn about too. I'm sure we'll have some good feedback soon.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:28 pm

What part has you stumped exactly: how to setup the ebook on your site for folks to download, how to market it to let folks know you have the free ebook available or something else?

Let me know specifically what it is you need help with, and I'll be glad to guide you the process. :)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:48 pm

The set up is the part that stumps me although I have no clue how to put together an ebook other than to write so it's all Greek to me ha ha

I'll wait to see what Fran's question is.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:03 am

Writing an ebook is as simple as typing it out in Word or OpenOffice. There are some book templates out there, probably even 'e-book' templates that would set your margins 'just so' for you and all that, but for a downloadable ebook, I've never found it to be a problem to go with the standard settings and just type! You can adjust those later, if needed. If you want them to be able to hole-punch the left side, for example, to put in a binder if they print it, then I'd make the left margin wider, but most don't worry about that.

The key thing for an ebook is to convert it to a PDF file, OpenOffice does that for you, or if you have Adobe, use that - or one of the free printer drivers that will convert it for you (like pdf995).

How you set it up depends on if you're just going to use a PayPal buy-it button or a full blown shopping cart system.

Easy is buy-it button where after payment, they land on a confirmation/thank you page with a link to the product for them to download.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby David Jackson » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:10 am

tknoppe wrote:Writing an ebook is as simple as typing it out in Word or OpenOffice. There are some book templates out there, probably even 'e-book' templates that would set your margins 'just so' for you and all that, but for a downloadable ebook, I've never found it to be a problem to go with the standard settings and just type! You can adjust those later, if needed. If you want them to be able to hole-punch the left side, for example, to put in a binder if they print it, then I'd make the left margin wider, but most don't worry about that.

The key thing for an ebook is to convert it to a PDF file, OpenOffice does that for you, or if you have Adobe, use that - or one of the free printer drivers that will convert it for you (like pdf995).

How you set it up depends on if you're just going to use a PayPal buy-it button or a full blown shopping cart system.

Easy is buy-it button where after payment, they land on a confirmation/thank you page with a link to the product for them to download.

Traci, this is truly outstanding advice, and dead-on accurate! :)

David Jackson
David Jackson

Postby terrapin719 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 am

Traci seems to have nailed down most of the creation process for us already ;) Great summary Traci!
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:53 am

Well, look at that! Very easy to understand. Thanks Traci.
angienewton
Elite Member

Capture th eaddresses

Postby AnitaHampl » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:15 pm

But remember, the profit does not come from merely selling an e-book. You want to have a method to capture the addresses, get their permission to send them future emails, etc.

I know Lynn teaches this, as do many of the gurus.

~Anita
AnitaHampl

Postby lisamariemary » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:05 pm

tknoppe wrote:Writing an ebook is as simple as typing it out in Word or OpenOffice. There are some book templates out there, probably even 'e-book' templates that would set your margins 'just so' for you and all that, but for a downloadable ebook, I've never found it to be a problem to go with the standard settings and just type! You can adjust those later, if needed. If you want them to be able to hole-punch the left side, for example, to put in a binder if they print it, then I'd make the left margin wider, but most don't worry about that.

For simple, just GET IT STARTED - just DO IT - this ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this post, Traci! Thank you!! :)
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Seriously - wish I could fave that post - 'like' that post - bookmark that post - WHAT EV!!! You know?
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:13 pm

Here's my solution to 'bookmarking' Traci's help in this post: http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/f ... 9574#99574
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:14 pm

LOL Yep - it's as easy as just typing it out in Word or OpenOffice, then converting it to a pdf file. That's the gist of it.

Obviously you can get more detailed with your ebook cover graphics; and your method of delivery after a customer pays is also something that needs to be considered: but the actual creation of the ebook is simply a matter of typing. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:16 pm

And are graphics - for the cover, front page and within the document easy to insert using Open Office?
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Yep - just click Insert > Picture > from File and browse your computer to find your graphic and insert into your document. Pretty much the same as Word.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics