This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

A Bold Emphasis and Highlighted Copy

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

A Bold Emphasis and Highlighted Copy

Postby David Jackson » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:42 am

The other day I was browsing the Internet doing research, when I came across something that caught my eye - but not in a good way.

It was a salesletter, and it was absolutely hideous. So, what made it so hideous?

The letter was written entirely in bold type, which is a crime in itself. But even worse than that, the letter was highlighted in yellow from top to bottom.

Can you imagine that?

It looked like a big mustard sandwich with ants.

Unfortunately, I see this all too often with sales copy, as well as other types of copy.

You should use bold type and highlight sparingly, and only to emphasize certain words, sentences or paragraphs.

If you overdo it with these tools, you dilute their effectiveness. And then it becomes impossible to "highlight" (no pun intended) the points you were trying to emphasize.

Remember, "when you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing!"

David Jackson
David Jackson

Postby terrapin719 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:54 pm

Mmmm mustard sandwich .... lucnhtime!

I absolutely agree with you. So many sales pages going up lately are overdoing the bold font and the highlighting.... and the RED text. That one drives me crazy. When over half your page is in red, it's not a headline anymore.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby doc333 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:30 am

that's true, too much red text and too much bolding and underlining. It's easy to go too far. I try to avoid these but at the same time do use them to try and get my sites noticed, while trying not to go overboard with it.
doc333

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics