[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Blogs and backlinks • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Blogs and backlinks

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Blogs and backlinks

Postby Richard Norman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

Richard Norman

Postby Ron Killian » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:32 pm

Ron Killian

These are the blogs I use

Postby Richard Norman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:51 am

Hello and thank you for your reply.

I am unsure what you mean when you say "I am guessing you used blogs provided by others".

Do you mean I used blogs suggested by others?

The blogs I use are Tumblr, Wet Paint & Word Press.

Richard
Richard Norman

Postby AlexNewell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:36 am

Sometimes on doing link checking not all the links are shown. if you check on a regular basis you will see fluctuations.

Try also putting your material into article directories or even just ezine articles.

And keep plugging away with other web 20 sites. You may not see links but people will click through on any links you leave.

All The Best

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Thank you Alex

Postby Richard Norman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:47 am

Thank you Alex I hear what you say.

I didn't understand what you meant when you said:

"And keep plugging away with other web 20 sites"

I look forward to Rons reply if he gets a moment.

Richard
Richard Norman

Postby AlexNewell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:10 am

"The blogs I use are Tumblr, Wet Paint & Word Press. "

These are web 20 sites. ( as in web 2 point zero )

There's loads more- squidoo is probably the best. You can create as many lenses as you like.

You don't really care if they are blogs - a link is a link.

That's why ezine articles is so good - they are often found on the front page of google. Every article is a link.

You could also try

quizilla
scribd
clearblogs
blogger
wikidot

and some of these maybe opened under a pen name!

Then open accounts with social bookmarking sites stumbleupon, propeller, mixx using a pen name and vote for your sites.

Get a friend to help too. This gets the ball rolling. As soon as a few votes are there lots of others will come along to have a look.

All The Best

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Learning here.

Postby Richard Norman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:11 am

I am learning thank you.

So these web 20 sites are a waste of time when it comes to creating incoming lnks for my site?

Richard

P.S. I am already working on ezine articles, they do show up in site explorer.

I wasted a lot of time with tumblr, wet paint and word press.
Richard Norman

Postby AlexNewell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:26 am

NO there's no waste of time at all .

Every bit of web space you occupy and pop a link on is good. Some of them are better than others but all are useful.

And also don't put too much trust in link checking software. If you put a link there it IS there. Whether yahoo or google will tell you it's there does not matter. Your visitors can see it and click on it.

Have you got a traffic or stats package?

You need something so that you can see why people are coming to your site and what search terms they are using. It is important to watch these numbers to measure your progress.

All The Best

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Thank you Alex

Postby Richard Norman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 am

Thank you Alex

I use Google analytics, but it is difficult for me to know what to do with the wealth of information Google supplies, maybe it's time to start doing this in earnest. We have had a large increase in sales from our site, I put it down to writing better copy finally.

Alex, you gave these blogs a thumbs up, does that mean these blogs will allow my backlinks, and therefore not part of web 2.0

squidoo
quizilla
scribd
clearblogs
blogger
wikidot

Thank you

Richard
Richard Norman

Postby AlexNewell » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:24 am

AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby Ron Killian » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:22 pm

That's what I was asking, if you used blogs such as free hosted one, like the ones you mentioned. I asked because those type are usually quicker to show up in the ranks because they are powerful popular sites.

Alex gave plenty of good advice. Though, many might call them web 2.0 sites, same thing I guess. Or some call them social sites. But yes, as he pointed out, they are all worth posting too. If your mainly looking for back links, post to every one you can find, with the right anchor text, that's important. Blogger by google is another good one.

I've had bad luck with Wordpress hosted blogs, they deleted three I made, they don't like promotional type blogs. Which is fine, their site, their rules, understandable.

Another big question, how are you checking back links? Google has been way off for years. Yahoo site explorer is the most accurate I use.

I personally don't keep track of backlinks, I just keep track of my ranks for my keywords, that is my end goal. From where I rank, I know what needs more "juice". About the only time I check is when some one is beating me in the ranks, see what they are doing.

Another powerful link back tactic that few seem to use or realize is RSS feeds. To me, an RSS feed for your site is as important, or slightly more important than a site map.

RSS feeds gives you something else to submit to places you wouldn't normally submit your site, such as RSS directories. Your feeds can also get picked up and published by others, usually scrappers, but it's still link backs.

Many social sites such as mybloglog, multiply, even blogger blogs allow you to add a rss feed to your "profile". This of course means, as your feed updates on your site, as you add new content, the feed info is also updated on the social sites you placed it, automatically. The big key is it gives you deeper links that you might not normally receive, or have the time for.

A number of social sites also generate rss feeds for your "profile". Once you have your info in, you could submit those feeds to places like pingomatic. Get the SE's finding your back links even quicker.

Even with twitter you can use twitter feeds to add your RSS. Every time you add content or your feed is updated, it automatically posts to your twitter account. Great for bloggers, and a time saver.

I have an add-on for firefox, where I can right click and click on nofollow, it shows if links are nofollow or not. Again if you looking for back links it could keep you from wasting time on a social site that in the end, won't provide you with back links.

Guess I ramble too much myself. Hope some one will find it useful :)
Ron Killian

Postby Learning » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:52 pm

Learning
Elite Member

Postby allmylovecrafts » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:13 am

Some Bookmarking sites are DoFollow. But, to use them properly you really need to have a great bunch of readers that will bookmark for you.

NING sites also allow you to put on an RSS feed with 2 simple steps. Like stated before your profile is an internal page and may not hold any rank. But, if you are active there you can get visitors to your profile page that may see your links.

FriendFeed is also a place to hook in RSS. They are NoFollow. But, are still a link.

I do not worry about Do or No follow links when it comes to most places.

I do allot of blog commenting and I am looking to interest the the other readers in what I have to say. Then if I come off as 1/2 intelligent they may click my link.

Someone told me that EZine articles is now NoFollow. Not sure because I never use them.

I do know that Hub & Tumbler has gotten very strict about their pages being used for 'splogs'.

Just do some keyword research and you may find a better phrase that will pull in more traffic. Some of the general ones are very hard to rank well in. Look for a specific set of phrases that get good traffic yet, are not being used by the Big Guys.

Sheryl Loch
allmylovecrafts

Postby Learning » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi there- just wanted you to know that ezine articles is do follow. Each article submitted needs to be unique content not posted anywhere else on the web.
The way you guys can determine do follow or no follow is like this.
Right click on the link- find the wording that says properties and click it.
A new window will come up and it will tell you stuff about the link.
If it says relation= no follow it's a no follow. If it doesn't say this then it is a do follow.
No follow links don't give you any link juice neither do they give you ranking points. But they may bring you visitors to your site if that page is very visited so they may be good for marketing and promotion--- not necessarily for SEO.
Blessings,
Eren
Learning
Elite Member

Postby allmylovecrafts » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:44 pm

I use the Search Status add on from FireFox, it highlights NoFollow links.

The only SE that even notices the NoFollow tag is Google, Many SEO's even say that Google does follow it but just no PR passed on.

Page rank is only a small part of getting listed high in the SERP's I have individual pages with n/a PR that rank higher in the SERP's than my pages with a PR of 2.

Allot of people go for home domain PR so they can sell advertising. I like to get individual PR just because I can. LOL!

Yeah, I was not sure about Ezine Articles because I never go there. Guess I could of checked but, did not want to give them a click. ;)

Sheryl Loch
allmylovecrafts

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics