[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - multiple domains/website, or focus on one or two? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

multiple domains/website, or focus on one or two?

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

multiple domains/website, or focus on one or two?

Postby CalamityJane » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:06 am

Hi all,

Total newbie here. Just introduced myself on the introduction board. I know nothing about internet marketing, but want to learn and do. I am serious about making a change.

My question is, is it better practice to have several websites, even if they offer similar material, or just focus on one or two? I ask because, I have been investigating domain names, and came up with several I liked that were available, but don't know if it's a waste of money to buy them all, or just a couple of them that I like best.

Hope this questions makes sense. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby oroyb » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:04 am

oroyb
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:47 am

You choose a domain name after you have decided what the focus of your marketing efforts will be.

Unless it is just a domain name that you like and want to make a personal site.

If you want to sell something, then your domain name needs to reflect what your business is about.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby CalamityJane » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:58 pm

Roy and Robert,

I thank you for your replies. Roy, I had just been telling myself this morning that I need to just settle down and start small and focus on one thing until it's done. I have a tendency to scatter about and start lots of things at once, in the excitement of "getting going". I think right now, though, that would be a waste of precious time.

Robert, I ended up buying 4 domain names that are reflective of the intent of the sites. I'll start with one of them, get it going, then move on to the next one.

Thanks for the help!

cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby Marc Meole » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:58 pm

Marc Meole

Making Money Online

Postby dagmar » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:42 pm

I suggest you do like I did... learn the basics first, no matter what your niche(s) is, because you'll need it in order to do anything... things like basic cPanel knowledge, uploading pages, etc... there are dozens of free tutorials on google that can teach you how to do all this.

Also, I would suggest to take a look at the link on my signature. It's very good for newbies and you can complement my video training with your tutorials online. I'm sure you'll be ready to get going in no time. :D

If you have any questions, you can post it here or feel free to send me a private message.

Regards,

Dagmar
dagmar

Postby lindastacy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 pm

I agree with the others. Start with one and when it's running smoothly and pretty much on auto-pilot you can consider another. You don't want to spread yourself too thin and never have the time and energy to really build one thing.
lindastacy

Postby tina0827 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi-

Sounds like everyone is on the same page about this issue. I am one to take on too many things, procrastinate and not follow through because I lose focus but this statement has helped me:

ACTION TO COMPLETION

I added my own spin to it:

FOCUSED ACTION TO COMPLETION

because I found I was taking lots of action but never making it to completion because the action I was taking wasn't focused on the end goal.

Good luck with all your ventures! Hope this helps!

Tina
@bestreflections
@newoldmom
tina0827
Elite Member

Postby CalamityJane » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:08 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

It is my tendency to overwhelm myself, trying to do too much at one time when I am excited about something. "Internet marketing" is such a new world to me that I am finding that I hardly know where to start. All your suggestions have helped, and I feel like I can formulate a plan. It feels imperative to me to "get something going right now!". But I don't want to just "throw something up". I have decided to take around two weeks to just study. Familiarize myself with AdSense, AdWords, setting up online sites, and then get started on my first site. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks again.
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:57 am

sounds like a good plan. Just don't keep putting it off.
It is so easy to put getting started off because you are not quite "ready yet".

You will never be completely "ready" , just do it.

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby CalamityJane » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 am

Very good advice, Robert. I also do have a tendency to do that very thing too. Keep reading about it, and downloading more stuff to read, until I could probably spend six months just "reading" about it.

Thanks. I am going to be starting on my first website in the next few days, I think. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions!

Thanks,cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby holidaymaine » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:22 am

holidaymaine

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics