[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Using a blog as your e-commerce website? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Using a blog as your e-commerce website?

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Using a blog as your e-commerce website?

Postby kislany » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 am

kislany

Postby wade_watson » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:10 am

I love the simplicity of starting and updating in Blogger, but I keep hearing about-- and experiencing-- the pitfalls. Apparently Blogger can eliminate your blog on a moment's notice notice for various reasons. I recently experienced a programming flaw that puts someone else's title graphic in place of mine. Since it's free, it makes sense to keep a Blogger page going for promotion, but I wouldn't depend upon it too much.

I think selling products in a blog is a very good idea, though. You might consider using WordPress or another blog manager in you own domain do do the same thing. Supposedly, the search engines like blogs a lot because of the frequency of updates.

--Wade
wade_watson

Postby KristenArnold » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:01 am

I have to admit, I just talked to someone this week and Wordpress.com shut down 3 of her blogs with no warning.

Personally, I love the simplicity of blogs and I think it would have saved me hundreds of dollars if I had started with a blog as an ecommerce solution when I first started instead of paying web designers and installing shopping carts and yadda yadda.

I have since learned how to create html pages with a free editor and upload/redirect when needed and I am thinking about transforming my ecommerce site into a blog and using standard html pages when needed.

For the price of a domain- 10 bucks and a hosting plan at under 10 dollars a month I think the return value is worth it. They even have ecommerce ready wordpress themes available like here http://ithemes.com/purchase/ecommerce-theme-1/ that for a small investment you have it ready to go (btw that's not an affiliate link lol) then using paypal if you only have a couple items or ejunkie allows you to sell physical products for $5.00 a month if you start offering more.

There is also an ecommerce plugin that's free that you can use with any free or paid blog theme.

Hope that helps
Kristen
KristenArnold
Elite Member

Postby wade_watson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:40 am

Good thoughts, Kristen. Just to clearify any possible newbie confusion, WordPress.com is different from WordPress the site manager/template. WordPress.com is a free service that operates like Blogger that puts you on it's domain. WordPress the site template is a file you can download for free, then upload to your server to run at your own domain.

--Wade
wade_watson

Postby kislany » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:58 am

Thanks for your replies on this. I've decided to go with osCommerce on Hostgator. I'm in early stages, so it will take me a good while, but I'm learning as I go along :)
kislany

Postby mellymom3 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:52 am

osCommerce is a good choice. Host Gator is a good hosting service. I do like your blog though from blogger, so definitely keep that going as a way to point people to your shop on your own domain. I love building stores. I have built a few with the wordpress plugin on my own domains blogs, I have set up a bunch on free sites such as 1freecart.com, vstore.ca, freewebs.com, and weebly.com, and I have also built stores with Cube Cart, Zencart, Magento, and OsCommerce with my own domain/hosting accounts.

I think of everything I have learned and tried, creating stores is one of my favorites. I have used the services of ejunkie but found that all in all it was too expensive for the amount of products I wanted when I could create my own stores on my own hosting and do it all for $10.

I wish you luck with your business. Your jewellery is very nice and if I wore jewellery on a regular basis I would like to wear some of your pieces. I think I may spread the word though and tell my relatives who do wear jewellery that you have some nice pieces.

:wink: keep up the good work!
mellymom3

Postby kislany » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:56 am

kislany

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics