[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - choosing a product to promote • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

choosing a product to promote

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

choosing a product to promote

Postby sandy47 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi to everyone, :)

I'm having a problem coming up with a product for my first website. At first I was looking at BANS and affiliating with eBay. So off I went and chose a couple of products from their listings. Did some keyword research and found my chosen products to be in demand and competition was not too intense. So far so good. But then I realized that my biggest competitor was - guess who- eBay. :(

So then it was back to keyword research to try and find less popular keywords like long tail keywords or something. That drew a blank.

Now i'm wondering if I need to expand the umbrella a bit. Example - Lynn created a site under the heading musical instruments. She did not single out a particular instrument. See what I mean.

Problem is I don't at this stage want to make it too big an area to cover. I just wanted my first attempt to be something fairly simple. Just to get the feel of things and understand the process.

Need your help again guys.

Sandy :)
sandy47

Postby KirkhamsEbooks.com » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:45 pm

KirkhamsEbooks.com

Postby Marc Meole » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:03 pm

Sandy...honestly don't worry about competition..even if it is ebay (unless the niche you were looking into was developing an online auction site hehehe)...

just do some solid marketing and you will see results...

No offence to Rick in the last post...but don't worry about finding somethng you are passioate about...

find something that's going to make you $$$$

then focus on you passion...

let me know if you have nay questions (if you want to pm me you niche I wont steal it...I'll let you know if it's worth it)
Marc Meole

Postby sandy47 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks Marc, I appreciate that.

I understand Rick's point about passion and I hope to follow that course eventually. At the moment however there is so much to learn and absorb.

My idea at the moment is to just create something very simple so that I can understand the process of doing it. It doesn't really matter what, just the how. But every time I pick a product I can't seem to find any profitable keywords that are not already heavily used. :?
Also, what should you do first, find a product then find an affiliate program or the other way around.

Sorry, my head is spinning with questions. :lol:

Sandy
sandy47

Postby alexc » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:07 pm

I am going to have to side with Marc on this issue. You should look into a good money making product first, and then find and follow your passion after you have some stable income.

As for competition, I wouldn't worry about competition all that much, just go for a proven winner.
alexc

Postby Trivani » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:17 am

You can start speaking with people face-to-face or via email/on the phone about the product) you allow that person to try out the product for a certain amount of time. If it truly is a good product, then the customer will buy it, or even become interested in joining you in selling it.
Trivani

Postby Marc Meole » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:54 am

The best thing to do is to just get ou there and do something...don't waste time...take action on what you already know...

Once you get the formule down just keep repeating it...

I know there are tons of questions running around your head right now (We all started out in the same spot one time)

Ask all the questions you can...That is how I learned...be a pest... :)
Marc Meole

Postby KirkhamsEbooks.com » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:24 pm

None taken. Most of you are probably making a lot more money than I am, but the reason I said pick something you're passionate about is due to the learning curve. Finding something you like that you can make money with helps to trim that down a bit

JMO

Rick
KirkhamsEbooks.com

Postby sandy47 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Ha - I like that Marc. Feel like I already am being a pest. :lol: I agree with the idea of jumping in and running with it and learn as you go.

Everyone offers good advice, but my problem keeps coming back to keyword research. I feel I am missing something here. Every product I choose seems to come to a dead end because of keywords. Its frustrating. :(
Must be doing something wrong or missing something,somehow. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Sandy :)
sandy47

Postby JonathanB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:09 am

JonathanB

Postby sandy47 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks Jonathan,

That sounds like good advice, but I still keep coming back to my problem with finding keywords. I know i'm being a pain on this issue but it's become a major stumbling block for me.

Obviously i'm doing something wrong, or coming to the wrong conclusions. I just don't know what. AAgh I hate being a newbie.

Sandy
sandy47

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:47 pm

Great topic!

On the subject of Profit vs Passion, I actually wrote a detailed response to that at ClickNewz that you may find interesting & helpful:

http://www.clicknewz.com/1225/passion-vs-profit/

Let's get back to keywords though, since that is where you are obviously struggling. First, competition is a good thing. And while micro-niches can be great, going a little bit broad can be a good idea too. It gives you more content/topics to cover and a broader reach.

Unless you're going into adult, drugs or gambling... competition is not nearly as scary as it might appear. You're not competing with the numbe of results that show up for any given search - you're only competing with the top 10 results (because that is where you want to be).

Go through each of the links on this page:
http://www.clicknewz.com/keyword-research.htm

Once you have studied those, let me know if that helped - or if it raises any questions for you.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby sandy47 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:54 am

sandy47

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:13 pm

LOL - Anytime ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics