[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Creating a web site • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Creating a web site

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Creating a web site

Postby sandy47 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi everyone, :)

I have to say that i'm really scared about the whole idea of creating a web site. It seems a daunting process for a newbie with zero knowledge.

I don't have the funds to buy XSite Pro or anything like that.

I read Lynns article on "Starting a free online business" but i can't load the NVU page. Says webpage cannot be found.

Any other suggestions? What about 1st Page? I note that quite a few people just use Notepad but since i have little idea what i'm supposed to be doing that sounds hard. I need step by step instructions i think. :?

Any advice greatfully received.

Sandy [-o<
sandy47

Postby sandy47 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Hi again, :?

Just need to add to the above query. Do you need to purchase software to put in a shopping cart or affiliate links etc.

Thanks
Sandy :)
sandy47

Postby nar321 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi Sandy
NVU is no longer being developed and in fact I was never able to bring it up. Try www.kompozer.net instead as they are the ones taken over for NVU. It's Free and is available for the usual OS's(Operating Systems). Try Google for videos on making a web site. One step at a time worry about shopping carts later, feel sure that SSWT probably has a section dealing with such things.
Last edited by nar321 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nar321
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi Sandy
Without knowing what your ecommerce needs are now, or might be in the future, why not go with WordPress. It's not just used for blogs - it can also be your entire web site, as it's also a content management system (CMS), which simply means, no html knowledge needed. :wink:

If you have a domain name, and web host with cpanel, then most cpanels even offer Fantastico which will allow for easy installation of WordPress with a couple mouse clicks and it's done for you. That would be my suggestion.

WordPress even has the that's actually pretty good. It's come a long way from it's original versions and now accepts PayPal and downloadable products too. If you only have a few products, it would work; but even if you need a more robust ecommerce solution, you can always set up another ecommerce system/cart in a separate section of your site and link to that from the main WordPress-driven side. :)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi Sandy,

As I mentioned in , you will have some options once you set up your web hosting account. I use HostGator which has cPanel. From within cPanel you can install WordPress, or use their website builder.

WordPress is a good option because you can use it to create a blog or a website - and still have RSS and commenting capabilities.

I have a if you decide to use them too.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby nar321 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:15 pm

I second what Sandy posted. Wordpress can be whatever you want it to be with the right plugins and while knowledge of HTML is nice it is getting to be close to point and Click. Course you still need to be able to generate content(can be outsourced)
nar321
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:38 pm

Thanks for the advise guys, :D

Trouble with being a newbie is now I have to find out more.
Like - What is Wordpress
What is cPanel
What is Fantastico. Aaagh. ](*,)

It's like learning a foreign language. But anyway i know its all good advise so i'll keep plodding on. I figure maybe it's not so bad when you actually do it. Not just think about it. Right?

Regards to you all
Sandy :D
sandy47

Postby tknoppe » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Hi again Sandy:
I understand - we were once all newbies. :)

WordPress is software that, in layman's terms, runs your web site. It makes it very easy for you to add new articles (called 'posts' within WordPress) or pages, to your site; all without needing to know html. You just type the words into a box, much like you do here on this message forum.

cPanel is short for control panel. Some web hosts have cpanels, some have vdecks, etc... This is the login area for your web host to access the features available to you with your hosting account - like setting up new email accounts, accessing web site statistics, and the Fantastico icon - which simply is an area where you can quickly and easily install many different software with a few mouse-clicks. It's a feature available on most cpanel enabled web hosts. HostGator is a web host that Lynn gave you a coupon link for, has cPanel. I use HostGator too and they are very good and reliable.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:05 pm

angienewton
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:53 pm

Thanks for the info Traci. Very helpful. Its so good to know that I can ask my questions here, no matter what they are,and get good advice. Without this helpful community I'd be lost. :D

Thanks to you too Angie for the support.

You know there's a lot of info about what to put in a website and how to get traffic etc. But I don't think I've seen anything on how to actually create a website. You know, step by step for dummies.
Maybe one of you should write an ebook on the topic. :-k

Have a great day
Sandy :D
sandy47

Postby tknoppe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:56 pm

Sandy - you mean an ebook on setting up a web site from registering the domain, to setting up the hosting, to then either setting up the WordPress site OR setting up the html web pages? That detailed - like bullet points, with instructions detailed? In written form, video - or both? :)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:56 pm

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dummies ... 49280.html

See if Amazon carries it as for many books you can buy a used one sometimes for pennies on the dollar. :)

http://www.domaininformer.com/guides/Do ... ehind.html

Free article which you should print out, study and put into action
nar321
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:25 pm

Yes Traci. The actual step by step process. From Domain registration to setting up pages. I don't know to what depth you need to take it but at least enough to get people started. I don't much like video myself but some people do.

Have I got you thinking? :lol:

I'll check out that book too thanks Bob
sandy47

Postby tknoppe » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 pm

Yep - got me thinking. I tend to be good at summing things up in layman's terms. I believe I could do a fairly short ebook/guide on this; and could do some screen shots within it to give some visual aids to help. :wink:

I'll try to get to this tomorrow if I can. Of course, Bob posted the book links that you could also try.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby sandy47 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Bob I just had a quick look at the other article that you sent me too. Yes that's the kind of basic info I need right now. Keep holding my hand guys. :wink:

Traci go look at the article Bob sent me to. I know it could be expanded on but you'll get the idea.

Sandy
sandy47

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics