[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - The best length for an article is... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

The best length for an article is...

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

The best length for an article is...

Postby Richard Norman » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:17 am

The best length for an article is...what?

Searches on Google reveal ideas from between 370 (this includes title etc)
and 700.

What do you think and why?

Thank you

Richard

P.S. I favour a style of writing that involves using 1 or 2 line sentences with single line spacing between. With regard writing articles do you have to follow tradition in the way you write?
Richard Norman

Postby southernbg » Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:06 pm

I would love to know this information as well. Thanks for posting this Richard!

In gratitude,

Natalie
southernbg
Elite Member

A sweet thing...

Postby Richard Norman » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:00 am

What a sweet thing to say, thank you Natalie.

Richard
Richard Norman

Postby TorontoCarol » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi Richard,

When I write articles for other marketers, they are usually about 400 - 500 words and are often used on their own sites. The ones I have submitted to article directories range from 250 word articles to 600 words. Often the shorter ones are used by people on their blogs as extra content.

As for reasons, I don't think about word count, I just try to be interesting and informative. Too long and people may lose interest - unless you're the kind of writer that people are hanging on to your every word.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:02 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Craig McPherson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:07 pm

Craig McPherson

Postby Kurt Henninger » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:49 am

I prefer to keep mine between 400-500 words. Many sites will not accept less than 400 words, and with much more than 500 you start to lose peoples interest.
Kurt Henninger

Thank you

Postby Richard Norman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:42 am

Thank you all for your input.

As I said, I favour a style of writing that involves using 2 or 3 line sentences with single line spacing between.

Should I change this style of writing when it comes to articles?

I use this style in my newsletters and folk do say it's easy to read.

Thank you

Richard
Richard Norman

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:34 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby AlexNewell » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:19 am

I just submitted an article at ezinearticles and they want 250 to 500 words. Lots of the articles will be read on the screen so they should be short.

If you usually write long articles just split them in two and publish part one in the directory and in the resource box tell the reader - for part two visit my blog at yadayada.com

As for formatting you must follow the rules of the Directory. They do vary so maybe just learn the rules at one major directory and don't worry about the others.

All The Best

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby stephfoster » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:26 pm

stephfoster

ideal lenght

Postby PhilippKnoll » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:44 pm

There is no such thing as an ideal length for an article - if you ask me.

The length is a result of how much valuable information you have to share and what kind of article you are writing. Some bloggers I have come across prefer to post only small bits at a time. They make up for it by writing two, three or even more post a day.

Steve Pavlina on the other hand writes articles that take you quite a while to read through. Still he manages to keep his audiences interest and is ultra successful. www.stevepavlina.com/blog (a recent post: 2561 words)

Paul Piotrowski is to be found somewhere in the middle. His articles are well structured and fun to read. www.inspiredmoneymaker.com (his last post: 762 words)

I am a regular reader of these two blogs. Check them out. There is a lot of good content waiting to be read.

The articles I write vary in length. I posted a pretty long article about video promotion. I researched a lot for it and had a lot to say.

My last post was rather short. My intention was simply to let my readers know about a nice little tool I found (actually I found this on Lynn's blog). I described it a little to get people interested and provided links to this service. I did not have to go into great detail for this. Thats why I kept it short.

To sum it up: The important thing is to remind youself that you are writing for humans and not for computers. Put yourself in your readers position and read your text as if seeing it for the first time. Like it? Find it interesting or even inspiring? Great, than publish it.
Did you have to get up to grab a second cup of coffee? Well, you might want to do a little editing.

Have a successful day,
Philipp

www.philippknoll.com
PhilippKnoll

Postby footballphil » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:06 am

My journalism professors used to always say 400 to 600
footballphil

Postby DonDare » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:51 am

I think the more important thing these days is the structure of the article sub-headings to get people to 'get what you're talking about' because these days people (including me) skim through the article to see if it's worth reading.

See copyblogger examples, he always attracts my attention by same-like but attractive sub-headings.

And as for ideal length, 300-400 words and if it's too long separate it in parts! If people see 10 page letter I believe many will be discouraged to read it and just..well...skim.
DonDare

Postby dotcomsecretsuk » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Down to testing I suppose if you can hold interest for 2000+ words and you have that amount of content to share with your readership then that's the way to go.

However if your knocking out fluff to fill a space or a schedule that your working to save yourself the time and energy.

10 page sales letters must work because you do see losts of them from the same people, time and time again.
dotcomsecretsuk

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics