[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Advertising Is Easy! • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Advertising Is Easy!

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Advertising Is Easy!

Postby Dale King » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:30 am

Okay, you have a product you want to sell. Like most people who go into business, you really haven't taken the time to educate yourself on proper advertising methods. Why? Because it just didn't seem important. But now you want to do some advertising, and you mistakenly figure, "Advertising is easy! All I have to do is write a few words about whatever it is I want to sell, and advertise it on Google or Yahoo, and then lots of people will visit my website and give me money. And I'll get rich and live happily ever after!"

Sound familiar? Let me ask you a question. Suppose you wanted to be a surgeon. How successful do you think you would be as a surgeon if you didn't educate yourself and take it seriously - if your attitude was, "Being a surgeon is easy. Surgeons use a scalpel, and they perform surgery. My friend John has heart problems. Tomorrow, after lunch perhaps, I'll skip on over to John's house with my shiny new scalpel and perform heart surgery."

Sounds ridiculous, right? Why? Because you don't know the first thing about performing surgery. Sure, you have a scalpel and you can cut. Heck, a monkey with a scalpel can cut! But cutting and actually performing surgery are two entirely different things.

Conversely, sure you can advertise. Anyone who can place an ad and pay for it can advertise. But how effective will your advertising be if you don't know where to advertise? How to advertise. When to advertise. How many sales will you make if you don't know what to say? How to say it. When to say it. Bottom line? Your ad will bomb. And make no mistake, this exact scenario plays itself out all over the world every single day.

So what's the the missing element here? Education. You need to take your business seriously and learn how first. You need to educate yourself about advertising and learn what works. You have to know what you're doing. More importantly, you have to have an organized plan.

In that regard, I highly recommend you read and reread what I consider "The 5 Best Advertising Books of All Time."

1. "How To Write A Good Advertisement" by Victor Schwab

2. "Tested Advertising Methods" by John Caples

3. "Ogilvy On Advertising" by David Ogilvy

4. "Advertising Secrets Of The Written Word" by Joe Sugarman

5. "The Ultimate Sales Letter" by Dan Kennedy

Read the above 5 books, and you'll have a valuable advertising education you can fall back on for the rest of your life. And it won't have cost you tens of thousands of dollars to get it!
Dale King

Advertising sounds easy but.....

Postby mewcreations » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:09 pm

I agree that educating your self on the "How to" of correct advertising is very necessary. I have noticed over the years, and especially on the internet that people have become blind to advertisements. I suppose being bombarded everyday with ad after ad, unwanted emails, pops ups and the like...that people have somehow learned to automatically not see it.

I think that effective advertising will definitely take more education and actually looking at new ways of advertising to people that have shut themselves off from everyday advertisements.
mewcreations

Postby ibuzzmentor » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:35 pm

It is all about niche marketing. Who do you want to attract. In my five years of success working from home I KNOW I want to attract other people hungry and motivated for cash flow such as realtors, mortgage brokers etc. I then market to them. I know do voice blasting to them and have them actually calling me for more information instead of dialing for dollars. It is all about time leverage fishing in the right pond. I have been able to learn that effectively.
ibuzzmentor

Postby Dale King » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:01 pm

Dale King

Elevating education

Postby mewcreations » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:20 pm

mewcreations

Postby Dale King » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 pm

Dale King

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics