This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Choosing a domain name

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Choosing a domain name

Postby Barnokian2 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 am

Hi there,

I have a question for some of the experts here (or anyone who has an opinion really). Let's say you want to make a website about baking, should you choose a catchy name like "bakemaster.com" or a name that is descriptive of what you are doing like "howtobakecakeseasily.com" ?

One is short and easy to remember, the other may give a better search ranking. Also, if you find a good name but it isn't a .com should you go for that or keep looking for names until you find a good .com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Barnokian2

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Welcome to SSWT :D

Catchy names are great for branding, and keyword names are great for SEO. They arent necessary for good rankings, they just make them easier. For more on that, see this post at my blog:

http://www.clicknewz.com/252/domain-names-seo/

I would definitely go with the .com version of your domain name, and even suggest buying up the .net, .info etc as well. But at the very least, get and use a .com
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics