[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Gotta start sometime...Right? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Gotta start sometime...Right?

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Gotta start sometime...Right?

Postby wlben » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:27 pm

Well here goes.

I got my domain name at Godaddy.

I got my hosting at HostGator.

I signed up and downloaded the BANS software.

I downloaded CuteFTP.

So far I'm doin good right?

It's a good thing freight is very sloooow today cause that all took me from 11am to about 4 this afternoon.

I put all my stuff into CuteFTP and sent it off.

She coughed and sputtered like a old Freighliner with a million miles does and came back with a "can't talk to you dude, your not in our database".
(didn't like my name or password)

So I worked on it till a little while ago (7:30pm) and finaly called support.
They looked at everything and said "you have to send an email to sales cause it's a password issue". Must be they don't trust the hourly workers with that so I did what they said to do and now I'm waiting.

I just thought I'd start this and let you all know what a "wet behind the ear's newbie" get's into day by day. Then we can all celebrate when I throw that "first million" party. OK?

I'll roll up in my sleeping bag in my sleeper and let the rattle of the engine shake me to sleep and wait for the sales staff to figure out what to do with me.

Keep your stick on the ice!

w.
wlben

Postby mellymom3 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 pm

Hello wlben,

That was very amusing. I think most of us can relate with you from our beginning years.
I hear stories quite often from my students about how they feel so incompetent due to not knowing what to do. But it is a learning process and we all do it if we want to fulfill our dreams.
At least you are progressing, are you not?
You are doing great! Keep it up. (and I do expect to hear a "hey" when you do get that millionaire status :wink: )
mellymom3

Postby wlben » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:21 pm

Thanks mom:

This is not IM related but kind-of.
I've found a way to get more freight for the truck to haul.
Sign-up for these programs because you have all the time in the world, and see how fast that goes away. I got back to back runs two days in a row. It never happens once but twice. Hummm.

Anyway I got time between loads to do some clicking and call support people and rant and rave over why things weren't going right. There are a few places in the HostGator and BANS software that not all the newbie things are mentioned, but not bad.

I do have a site up though. It's not ready to look at because I've got more there than I want, but it's a start.

Now I'm trying to figurewhat the tags are. The Meta and the beta or what ever. That's not too clear yet.

Got a big run to Iowa from Ohio tomorrow so won't get much done, but it's fun.

Keep your stick on the ice.

w.
wlben

Postby wlben » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:34 pm

wlben

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:39 pm

Definitely hit them up on the members forum, and check out their tutorials section for help on the tags you mentioned. Keep us posted ;)

And what's with the stick? Am I the only one that doesnt get it? :oops:
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby TorontoCarol » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:28 pm

TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby wlben » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 pm

wlben

Postby wlben » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:45 am

wlben

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:13 pm

LOL, I have no clue who says that - but its still strikes me as funny :p

Glad to hear you got everything up & running!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby wlben » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:20 pm

You got it.
Ay?

I'm a man.
But I can change.
If I have to.
I guess.

And

When all else fails..
Play dead.

Have you ever watched it?
wlben

Postby wlben » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Lynn, being the master poster that she is, has won the fortune cookie prize of the day.
Let us know what it says, Lynn.

I'm in Columbus OH today. Waiting for something to happen.
They sure had a lot of snow here recently.

My question for the day is:
When do I know when enough is enough?

I've built my store and modified a few things, not many.
I know that I need to start with the SEO stuff (which I know nothing about) but I've heard something about "uploading".
What is that and how do you do it and when?

I think building a site is a lot like backing a semi into a parking spot in a truck stop at 2 in the afternoon. Sometimes it goes easy and sometimes it doesn't want to go at all, and each time is different. Everybody is watching and waiting but nobody says anything to the expert that does it without a single pull-up or to the new guys that takes 10 tries and holds up traffic for 15 min..

Ramblin again.

BTW

Keep your stick on the ice.
wlben

Postby Kansasww » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:18 pm

The first question,I don't have a clue. Uploading is moving files to another site or computer. When you put your stuff in FTP and sent it off you uploaded. I have been the guy that takes 10 tries to get something done, in a truck and in internet marketing,sometimes I'm real slow but it always seems to click in.
Kansasww

Postby wlben » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:17 pm

wlben

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:21 pm

First, what kind of ads do you want to put on your site? Which products are you going to promote in your ad space?
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics