[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - First time web site owner here and I’m very confused. • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

First time web site owner here and I’m very confused.

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

First time web site owner here and I’m very confused.

Postby DebD » Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:17 pm

DebD

Postby AlexNewell » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Deb!

"Do I use Fantastico to install Wordpress or is it better to download it from the Wordpress site?"

Sometimes the wordpress site has a more up to date version so it could be worthwhile to download it from there...

Me, I'm lazy and I'm not a techy so I'd just go into cpanel, hit Fantastico and install WP from there.

It will only take a couple of minutes-just make sure you write down the master password and username you use when you install. Once I saw an onscreen message that promised I'd get an email with this info and so I did not write it down...never did get that email, so I had to uninstall the blog and start again!

BTW once you have installed WP you have to choose a theme. I generally google "alex King, wp themes" ( no relation !) then you will need to ftp it. either get a friend to do this or contact me- I have just written a short guide (free!) to ftp, charmingly called, "What is FTP and is it for me?"

Short answer is "Yes it is!"

Secondly you ask about the range of CMS available. I have spent a month being tortured by JOOMLA but really I'd say "forget it!"

WP is the only human friendly CMS I know of and you are using that as your blog. Now if you want an "ordinary" website with unchanging or static pages you can use a system called "staticblogging" just google it - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a URL here.

staticblogging is the invention of Christy & Stacie, buddies of Lynn and lots of forum members have it.

This is as easy to use as ordinary WP - it is WP but has very special plugins to convert posts into pages.

I've bought it but have to finish a couple of projects before I sit down and use it

The forum you can install after you have the site and blog sorted out. I have just installed my first forum. it is easy peasy. You just choose which type of forum - usual choice phpbb, some people prefer SMF.

This choice should be inside the fantastico area

Don't sweat it!

I had to learn how to delete **** posting from my forum this morning! It's non stop learning on the internet that's for sure

Lastly you mentioned Xsitepro. Most people who recommend xsitepro have not used it. They have superb promotional videos but it has a substantial learning curve and creates sites with very poor code- I had a LONG struggle with it and was only rescued by an expert seo guy who reviewed my site. As soon as I rebuilt the site with Frontpage the PageRank of the site jumped from 0 to 3! Same site!

My advice - avoid this like the plague!

The simplest way to build a website is to use WP for blogs and staticblogging for standard websites.

Hope that helps!

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby Les » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:44 am

As you are shiny and new I'd recommend you use the Fantastico route to install WordPress. Click a couple of buttons and its done.

As to the forum, I suggest you devise a plan to kickstart initial discussions and get visitors before you start it. There's nothing worse than a dead/low traffic forum.

Don't take on too much at once. Start small and slow and build up to your objective.

Good luck.

Les
Les

Postby MommyEnterprises » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:09 pm

If you are new I would advise using the Fantastico route too! It is much easier and will make it easy to do the updates in the future too! I am experienced and use this route by choice!
MommyEnterprises

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:48 pm

Great advice here already - and I agree: install WordPress from your cPanel (Fantastico). Try the site builder included with HostGator first, play around with it and see what you come up with. Some of those CMS options come with a bit of a learning curve, so you may want to start simple and get a site and blog started and then customize/expand as you go.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby gkideas » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:36 pm

gkideas

Postby DebD » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:55 pm

DebD

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics