[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - The single most important advice for a newbie. • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

The single most important advice for a newbie.

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby pilpil » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:23 am

What is the single most important advice do you have for a newbie in order for the newbie to succeed an online business?
Do share your tips...just one only so that we can see the success pattern of as many members here who are more seasoned.

Thanks

Philip
pilpil

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:20 am

Dont give up. Be prepared to invest 18 months of sincere effort into your business venture. Be both persistent & consistent.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby kierang » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:36 am

Philip
Get yourself a MENTOR.

When I started my internet journey 3 years ago, I was overwhelmed with advice from all quarters. 'Gurus' were sending me over the edge.
Then. I decided that I needed one mentor and cut out all of the clutter. After some research I shortlisted 3 and finally opted for Derek Gehl. I learned so much from his programs and have not looked back since.
I have just signed up as an affiliate of his because his teaching methods and advice are very good. You can read about him here http://www.superinternettools.com/derek.html
kierang

Postby TimeSaverVA » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:37 am

Oh I love this post because I can get alot of good tips from it. I love both of these tips so far. And have both of them in motion.
TimeSaverVA

Postby Alan Petersen » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:01 am

Focus and zero in. Do not move from fad to fad. Finish one project before you move to the next one.
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby Les » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:20 am

Les

Postby JosephRatliff » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:40 pm

An extension on what Alan posted...

Focus. There are so many different ways to make money online, so many different business models to choose from, and also so many marketers that are marketing all of that to you...it is very easy to lose focus.

So, before hand, choose your business model, and plan out your first 6 months of activity online. Follow that plan. Only adjust that plan. Do not move to a different plan, unless you are getting nowhere on your developed plan (give it a fair shot though).

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."
--As quoted by many millionaires.

Also, don't do what the "big guys" are doing in marketing until you are at that level. Rather, you should see what people are doing at your "level" in marketing, in your chosen niche, and do it a little better. Then, focus on the people who are at your newly attained "level" in marketing, and do it a little better.

You will get there if you focus.
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby TheDivaLady » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:54 pm

TheDivaLady

Most important tip for a newbie

Postby dand2008 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:21 am

People need to know who you are! All the emails, banners, and traffic generation programs in the world won't help you if they can't find you.
Join forums like this one, leave posts where you have the knowledge to join the discussions. I spent more than 2 years doing all the things in the first paragraph and never sold one thing. . .Why, because just having a great site is not enough if no one can find you in the first place. You must make yourself known to all those in your niche. A tough job that takes work, work, work, work, work.
dand2008

Postby pilpil » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:51 am

Fantastic. Many great tips.

To summarize so far:
Focus - 3 counts
Too much window shopping-2 count.
Get a mentor, Be persistent/consistent, Good autoresponder,Market yourself first... all each has 1 vote.

Let's wait for another week for more contributions and see if the 3 top tips can evolve and then the next related question will be posted.( Hint: The 'how' to)

As for focus, interestingly as a metaphor, I have a physical mini-torchlight cum laser pointer beside my pc.Occasionally I will flash the laser light and the torchlight to remind me to be laser-focused.

Want more?
Yesterday, maybe by the law of attraction, I was flipping a book on quotes.
Here is a quote that I read yesterday....
"The successful warrior is the AVERAGE man;with laser-like focus"-Bruce Lee.

For the rest, please be generous and contribute your tip.( your top tip only).

Cheers,
Philip
pilpil

Postby pilpil » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:32 am

pilpil

Postby AlexNewell » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:37 am

pilpil, are you collecting material for an ebook? :)

The very best advice for anyone is tailored to their circumstances and can only be given by an expert who knows them a bit and cares!

The general advice you've had from Lynn and kierang and others is superb.

My contribution comes out of my experience and so may not apply to you but it is this. I have very high standards (Lynn talks about being a recovering perfectionist!) and I always look for the BEST solution to a problem.

Nothing wrong with that? But the best solution may take many months or years to find...so we have to go with a "good enough" solution.

Find a method that's OK and follow it.

Work on it as time goes by and as you are earning and bringing in money

Is this answer perfect?

No, but it is good enough.

So I'll stop

:D

Alex
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby pilpil » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:08 am

pilpil

Postby AlexNewell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:22 pm

AlexNewell
Elite Member

Postby dmcape » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:40 pm

I am a newbie as well. But have gotten focused in last month on building my list. I think this is very important. I am starting to make a couple sales. I believe having the mindset of learning and to never give up is also key.

dmcape
dmcape

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics