[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Better to Have Your Own or Use Someone Else's? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Better to Have Your Own or Use Someone Else's?

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Better to Have Your Own or Use Someone Else's?

Postby marketingman2k » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:04 pm

I'm new at all of this. Really, I'm a marketing "wannabe", but haven't figured out how to narrow things down so I can even have my own website. I have read a lot about internet marketing. I have done the interest/passion/skills/etc. stuff but am not able to settle on anything that anyone would want to buy.

So I'm thinking it doesn't matter anymore, for me. Just let me find a legit high demand product/service (does it have to be informational products?)that I can focus a website around without becoming a "expert" that will still get traffic/sales.

Is that reasonable to consider or am I way off? There have to be others who feel like I do that have been able to make it online and I would sure like to hear what made the difference.

For example, would it be better to market a free gameboard viral product like in my link with or without my own personal website? What if there were other products (not my own) that I would like to market? Could they be combined on my personal webiste or just individually marketed using the one supplied?

Thank You.
marketingman2k

Postby Robert Puddy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:22 pm

number one peice of advice

GET YOUR OWN, I WILL SAY IT AGAIN GET YOUR OWN

Rather than type out the reasons here is an article i wrote that will explain it.

How to build your downlines

Its real simple

You have to build your own mailing list.

Do not send folks direct to your affiliate page, send them to your own page
on your own site. Write your own sales letter your own headlines , do not
use the generic stuff that affiliate managers give you every affiliate he has
uses them and they dont grab attention cause everyone has seen them before.

Use a lead in page (whats a lead in page). A lead in page is just a way to
capture the visitors email address before you introduce them to your affiliate programme.

Here is an example http://www.advertisingknowhow.com/tutorial.htm
This page offers them an interactive tutorial for free it captures there
email and then sends them a series of emails that give them great info
but also promotes several affiliate programs as well.

You get to send them more than just one message so you can explain the
programme better, you get to keep there details so you can send them
info on any future products, in short you get a free mailing list of people
who you know are interested in the kind of things you are selling.

If you send them direct to the affiliate page the product owner gets their
details not you, he or she gets to promote other backend products to your
downline, you pay for the advertising they get the biggest benefit.

The money isn't in the secrets, the MLM's, the e-books, or anything else.
The secret is just a fact!

YOU NEED A MAILING LIST!

NEVER, NEVER be tempted to take on paid advertising to your list. it devalues
the list because every time you send out a message you will lose subscribers.

The price you charged for the ad will probably only just cover the cost of
replacing those subscribers, and anyway why earn just $40 for running the ad
when you could probably earn much more by promoting your own products etc.

The same goes for ads for subscribers, you only get freebie seekers on your
list and you wont get to much success from folks who wont pay.
(trust me I have been there)

On another forum recently a certain Paul Myers quoted this which stuck in
my head, as it rings so true.

If they wont pay anything going in at the front end (even if its only$5)
they certainly wont buy much of anything on the backend.

The point i am trying to make is you have to as high a percentage of paying
subscribers and members as you can and offering to much free stuff renders
your list unproductive.

Balanced promotions are what are called for give free stuff and let them know
your not just out to empty their wallet, but also make sure you let folks know
you have to make sales as well.

the commom mistake is not to get your own domain name and use it to increase
your own optin list.

There is no reason why you cant set up a different page for each of the
programmes you promote, for instance Brian Garvin set up a support group for
each affiliate programme he promoted in order to build his following.

Set up a web site specifically designed to collect subscribers
doesn't have to be an ezine (infact unless you can publish something extraordinary
dont even try to start a newsletter)
offer them a free report, or just offer more information on the product before they

A free gift (make it worth having though) then once a month send them an update,
or tell them about some new way you found to promote the product.

Introduce them to low cost or free stuff and then when you have a new product
you want to get them to sign up to they will feel that your giving them more good
info and you will find they will respond.

Its about building a relationship, shaking hands and kissing babies
(metaphoricly speaking)

Sorry but if your a free member you have to pay with your time
and as the list/site owner you have to strike that balance as well or you will not get
the results you are all after

http://www.rotatorblaze.com
All the advertising and marketing tools you'll ever need

Postby marketingman2k » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:31 pm

You sound as if you speak from experience. I did go to the site you listed and see what you mean about it being used to capture prospect info. That makes so much sense.

However, it does seem like the setup and updating of the ingredients that go into all that could add up financially. Would it work to use others sites to begin with to build up finances to then go into ones own site?

As many, finances are to be used almost without risk, if at all possible. However, the long run would sure seem to have a pay-off if one has his own site.

I have been thinking it might work to have a few affiliate sites like the one in my signature (http://www.verishield.net/JPS/) which prove profitable and then get my own site promoting them. In the meantime, I do lose the capture of persons for my own site, I realize.

You certainly have given me much to consider. I do need to make a decision and go for it soon.

Thank you.
marketingman2k

Postby Robert Puddy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:40 pm

Last edited by Robert Puddy on Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Puddy

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:45 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby HowardH » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:50 pm

HowardH

Postby Robert Puddy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:51 pm

Robert Puddy

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:04 pm

I agree with you guys - 100% - but also wanted to note that many are making healthy incomes promoting affiliate programs without their own sites too.

I would certainly recommend setting up your own website - as easy and affordable as it has become. Its actually much cheaper in the long run, using SEO to reach a highly targeted market... (versus paid advertising, and no opportunity for backend sales)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby marketingman2k » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:13 pm

marketingman2k

Postby scott » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:35 pm

I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in as well.

I feel you should create your own site, from a credability perspective.
People may want to know a little bit more about who they're buying from. With a website, I believe part of your personality comes out and you have the chance to offer more products, build a mailing list etc.

If you don't know HTML (the code to build a site), use a template.
I invite you to check out Lynn's other site

for templates
She has some awesome templates!

Scott
scott

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:29 pm

Prime example, Scott :D

I didnt design those templates - I am an affiliate for Template Monster ;) They allow you to integrate their products into your own website.

I guess what this all boils down to is what your main objective is. Do you merely want to make money (part-time, temporarily, or however)... or do you seriously want to build an online business - be your own boss - have a full-time career that you can be proud of?

Personally, here's what I what recommend to a complete newbie - ready to dive in and get started:

Start with research. Spend about $117 and grab Google Cash by Chris Carpenter ($50), the Super Affiliate Handbook by Rosalind Gardner ($47), and take Sharon & Roy's online SEO Course ($20). Read them, make notes, research the options that interest you (trust me, they'll JUMP out at you after reading through this great material).

At this point you're going to know who's looking for what, how to fill that need / offer that service / deliver that product, and how to do it fast & cost effectively. (You're going to save A LOT more than $120 in time & money by going this route - personally, I wish I could go back in time and take this advice LOL).

Next, using what you have learned, begin with pay-per-click (PPC) to test the market... test your target market, your click-through-rate (CTR), your conversion rate. Figure out which keywords result in clicks, which result in sales. From there you can develop a website and optimize each page or each section with the keywords you have tested... which will allow you to capitalize on free search engine traffic through high rankings in the major search engines.

Feel free to fill in the gaps, guys ;)

(there are at least three ways to do everything... the most important thing is to DO something :D )
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:34 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby scott » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:05 pm

Your absolutely right Lynn,

I so wish I could go back and start again!!!

I've learned sooo much this year!

Great advice as always!!!!

Scott
scott

Postby scott » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:00 pm

scott

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:30 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Next

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics