[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What keeps you going? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What keeps you going?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

What keeps you going?

Postby cinnamon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:12 pm

Just a few questions for y'all.

1. Why did you decide to start your own business?

2. Are you more successful then you thought you'd be?

3. Are you more content (happy) than you'd be in a standard work environment?

I will start :)

I didn't, my husband did. I'm happier as a worker bee. His business has grown so much recently, that I was able to quit my other job and help him out.

Yes, but it's taken longer than what I thought it would take. Our success has steadily climbed rather than jumped in leaps and bounds. Honestly, we started with no money, no plan, and no clients. Now it makes me happy that we've come so far. (Not millionaires, but we're working on it) :wink:

Hm. This one is a toughie for me. I work well with structure and in our little office (we now have an 'official' office space), it was hard for me to separate work and play. It's gotten better with our own work space, but for me to be truly comfortable, I would like a bit more structure.
cinnamon

Postby stephfoster » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:36 pm

My main site I started because I was doing medical transcription from home and people kept asking me how to get into it. Making the site was so I could tell people to just visit my site to learn about it. Call it self defense. :lol:

Considering my above answer, yes. I quickly got hooked on the possibilities and started to grow my site far beyond my initial "quick answer to the question."

Ohhhh, yes! Much happier than I was even as a medical transcriptionist. My time is much more flexible and I can stop what I'm doing very easily when my kids need me. Not saying it's easy, since I start worrying anytime my stats drop, but the work is very satisfying.
stephfoster

Postby Sandra » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:49 pm

I've always had an entrepreneurial spirit. I'm constantly coming up with new ideas and when I was working in a typical office my suggestions for how we could do things better, new projects, etc. were not always supported. A corporate environment usually upholds the status quo. I like working for myself because I call all the shots!

Plus I love the flexible schedule and extra vacation time. :D

To questions 2 & 3 - YES.
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby cinnamon » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:40 am

cinnamon

Postby Sandra » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:55 am

In my first 6 months or so it was more "go with the flow" see what works and learn as much as possible. Taking advice from others my first website was centered around a topic I knew and enjoyed, . I never expected this to be my main business but it grew into it and I truly enjoy every minute of it.

Now I have definite goals - long term, yearly goals, monthly goals for new websites, products and other projects. I have to have deadlines to get things done - even if they are self-created - because I have the tendancy to procrastinate.
Sandra
Elite Member

Postby CorpRebel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:16 pm

What keeps me going?

The ongoing multiple sources of income which = "time freedom" as I value my "free time" VERY highly. Working online has very good to me and I consider myself VERY fortunate to be able to participate in the online world! :wink:

AND I'm having a BLAST doing it!

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8)
CorpRebel

My vision keeps me going!

Postby clawspawsjaws » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:15 pm

Why did I start my own business?

I started my business so that I can be my own boss and have no ceiling on my income potential. I love that the amount I earn is directly related to my effort that I put into my business.

Are you experiencing success?

I am just in the first months of my business - but I am meeting great people and am having first buds of success. I think that the answer to this question depends on your notion of success. If you set your goals high BUT within reach - and take positive steps to reach them each day - then I think you are guaranteed to feel successful when you see yourself moving toward your dreams for the business

What keeps me going?

My "why" or vision keeps me going each day. I can visualize what my life will be like once my business is flourishing. I have this vision statement on my wall near my desk and read it every day to keep it fresh in my mind. When you are feeling rejected or discouraged a strong vision will keep you pressing on towards you goals!
clawspawsjaws

Postby wthomas46 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:36 am

What keeps me going is having control over my efforts and the opportunity to have mobility...meaning pretty much being able to live anywhere and conduct business.
wthomas46

Postby Angela Wills » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:35 pm

To be home with my son and not have a BOSS to tell me what to do!

Not Yet ;). Actually I thought I'd be farther ahead than I am but I'm getting there.

I'm not home full time until May but I absolutely know this is for me and the standard work environment doesn't fit me in the least.

:)
Angela Wills
Elite Member

Postby Liara Covert » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:20 am

Starting a business has been a way to improve my marketing skills at the same time as a way to better understand myself. I feel successful at different steps because of initiative and self-directed learning. I've also found that attitude and enthusiasm are catching while they attract clients. Standards work environemtns are relative. I have worked for and with other people. I have found I can excel in both environments but working for myself doesn't encounter the politics or possible personality clashes. I like the ability to develop different approaches to financial and other freedom. :lol:
Liara Covert

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:31 am

10 years ago I was a working wife and mother, and we were a combined family with 4 children. My husband wasnt working, and I was making barely over $6/hour at my job in the small town where we lived. The house was rented, the car was always breaking down, and we were barely getting by from paycheck to paycheck (my one paycheck, for 6 people, at that). We had no savings, no assets and no real shot of making it “out of the rut” anytime soon.

:arrow: http://www.clicknewz.com/560/employee-to-entrepreneur/

Yes... Though I was confident we would succeed at the original business, I had no idea where it would lead, or that I would be where I am now - over 10 years later.

YES :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby womaninbiz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 pm

womaninbiz

Re: My vision keeps me going!

Postby womaninbiz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:43 pm

womaninbiz

Postby womaninbiz » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:02 pm

I started my business because I saw that there was a need for "industry specific" business mentoring programs for existing and aspiring entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs need a centralized place to go to locate mentoring programs that cater to their specific business industry.

We are growing slowly but surely. Right now I am just working on forming valuable business partnerships that will form win win situations and allow us to offer added value to our membership community. No matter what though in my mind I am successful and that is because I am doing what I was born to do, connect entrepreneurs to one another to form win win situations!

I definitely am, but I a must admit I work two of my own personal businesses. One requires me to contract independently and work on my clients site during the day and the other one I work on my own time at every other time left in a day! :-)

This was a great line of questioning.

Scharlene

Do You Have an Industry Specific Mentoring Program - List Your Business in Our Directory!
http://www.fullcirclementoring.org/results.cfm
womaninbiz

Postby carlar9 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:48 am

I wanted to raise Yorkshire Terriers and it just kind of grew from there. After a few years my business grew enough that I quit my full time job. Then since breeding dogs is so stressful and you virtually have no other life I decided the answer was to diversify. I wanted to be ablet o reduce the number of dogs in our kennel eventually and at somepoint in the future get to take a vacation at the same time as my husband. So I opened my first pet boutique. I instantly fell in love with the business and it complimented my breeding business perfectly. Later on I opened my second dog boutique.

Not Yet . Actually I thought it would go faster and easier but I'm getting there. I had so much to learn and made so many mistakes at first.

Oh yes! My job as a Personnel/Payroll Manager was very stressful. I work much better on my own. I've never had a problem with doing what needed to be done and so it is easy for me to work on my own.
carlar9

Next

Return to Home Office Talk