This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Health Insurance for Self-Employed?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Our 'state' has a Minnesota Health Care

Postby midibidi » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:43 am

My son, since he will not be attending college this fall will not be covered by our health insurance as of Today.. I believe. A friend of his was going to help him get the forms, which are available for printing, online. I was supposed to type in Minnesota Care Health Care to get the information. There might be one available in your state... I would go to www.vivisimo.com and type in your state name and health care (Minnesota-put your state instead- Health Care) and they should be able to come up with income based health care for you.
midibidi

Postby MarketingSyndrome » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:33 am

I found the best way to get a health insurance is by calling the provider directly. I've tried many insurance sites, but they I found the best one through calling directly through a provider. We got insurance from CareFirst BlueCross for a very reasonable price, which was not mentioned on their website.
MarketingSyndrome

Postby timefortravel » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:26 pm

Costco offers insurance for business owners. You can check it out on their website:

www.costco.com

Look under "Services" for a full list of plans, or search "insurance."

Kim
timefortravel

Trick If You Need Dental Insurance

Postby kemet » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:57 pm

Most dental insurance is a joke! You pay $300 annually and the maximum benefit is $1,000 for instance. Prescription drug insurance coverage is not much better. There are reasons for this which I will not go into here. I was an executive in the industry for several years.

But there is a way to stretch your dollar if you are seriously interested in dental coverage. This will also benefit you for drug coverage, if it is capped at a certain dollar amount, as most plans are.

Get a Health Card Discount card. These typically offer non-insurance discounts of 10-50% off dental treatments and prescription drugs. They will typically run from $8-$20/mo, depending on exactly what they cover, drugs, dental, eyewear, chiropractic, podiatry, etc. They are not insurance and are available to anyone with no medical qualifying, no pre-existing condition exclusions.

Now, when you have a dental claim, for instance, you combine your insurance plan with your discount plan. No, I hear you, you Can do this because there is only 1 insurance plan being used. Someone said you can't use 2 plans together.

So, if the cost for the dental procedure was $1,000 and your discounted price brought it to $700, you will get $300 more dental work covered than with the insurance plan alone. Same with prescription drugs.

You can check out discount cards and dental plans here:
http://MBCBenefits.com
You can also contact me with any questions.
Hope this helps.

Bill
kemet

Postby PianoKim » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:03 pm

Just wanted to add that we have used The Mega Life and Health plan through NASE for several years and been happy. We chose a higher deductible; so as pretty much healthy people we usually don't meet it in a year and just pay for doctor visits, etc. But it's there if something awful happens, and at less than $300/month, it works well for us.

Another thing I learned from my doctor: if you take prescription meds, get the largest possible prescription. For mine, my doctor writes out prescriptions for a 3-month period. Then, go to Costco - least expensive pharmacy around! (Target is also pretty good.) You'll be surprised how much money you can save over your local drugstore pharmacy.

Best,

Kim
PianoKim

Self employed health insurance

Postby Daniel McGonagle » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:34 am

Great topic, one often overlooked, but necessary for those who
ARE working from home full time, and never looking back.

The NASE group seems to be the way to go,
I was thinking BlueCrossBlueShield, myself
but perhaps NASE is the better laternative.

Thanks,

Dan
Daniel McGonagle

Postby southernbg » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:41 am

Can someone tell me how much is it to join NASE? I just recently became self employed about 6 months ago. I have been looking at Blue Cross Blue Shield but I for some reason, I haven't been able to follow through with them.

Anyway, thank you for your time!

In gratitude,

Natalie
southernbg
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu May 15, 2008 9:22 am

You should be able to find that information on their website:

http://www.nase.org/
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby southernbg » Thu May 15, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi Lynn,

Thanks! I found it! I didn't see it before last time I was there.

Natalie
southernbg
Elite Member

Postby reuben12129 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:06 am

If you are self-employed, you still require health insurance. Buying it early, while you are healthy, will get you the best price and the needed coverage. You can Interview some different agents, and compare the price and coverage of the self-employed health insurance plans they offer. Before you sign anything or make any payments, you need to check with your state insurance commissioner’s office to find out if any complaints have been filed against the agents or the insurers they represent.
http://www.cvtips.com/be_your_own_boss_ ... yment.html
reuben12129

Previous

Return to Home Office Talk