[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What would you buy on the internet? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What would you buy on the internet?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

What would you buy on the internet?

Postby neverlandmall » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Hi All. My name is Lori, work at home Mom. I just sold my business of 15 years in Las Vegas. My husband & I ran a VERY successful catering & entertainment business. We raised 3 kids doing it working VERY long hours outside of the home. Our biggest problem was employees.....ugggh.

Anyway,
We sold it and now I am at home working on among many others.

I was wondering if you all would tell me what kind of things you do or would buy on the internet and what you would NOT buy.

For Example:
I buy groceries on the internet but would NEVER buy used children's furniture.

Also, can you tell me if FREE SHIPPING would make a difference to you or if you look for it when you shop?

Thanks,
Happy Homework! *smiles*
neverlandmall

Postby Jim Guinn » Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi Lori,

I buy just about anything I need through the internet unless it it something I must see in person first.

Free shipping is always a perk, but if you are going to do it make it truely free. Don't figure it into the sales price. Sometimes I do comparison shopping. I would rather buy from someone who charges shipping than someone who says they have free shipping if the price is just about the same...just because their free shipping isn't really free and they told a little fib to try and get me to buy their product. Truth in advertising!

Jim
Jim Guinn

Postby neverlandmall » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:07 pm

I would never build it into the price. I see that on Ebay ALL of the time and it is ridiculous. The guy that sells the garden fountain for $4.84 and charges $60 shipping. I can't believe people fall for that. Thanks for your imput. I buy everything on the internet as well. Just wanted to see how many others out there do the same. Last year I only had to go out once for Christmas. Bought my everything for my 4 kids, extended family etc. on-line. It was great avoiding the traffic & crazy people. *smiles*
neverlandmall

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:35 pm

I shop online for almost everything, myself. In fact I just saw the UPS man again today :D I ordered an electric bass guitar for my 14yo son from www.MusiciansFriend.com (great site to order from!!) and yes - I took advantage of free shipping, too!

Last week I ordered a like-new Franklin Covey classic-sized planner from eBay for a buck... I also went window shopping yesterday for a new slipcover for my grandmothers couch - but ended up going over to the local store (one block away) and found it was in stock there (saved on shipping).

I order my dart supplies online. Books usually always come from Amazon (new or used). I even ordered my backyard swing online. I LOVE to shop online :D :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Casmer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:51 pm

Jeff Casmer

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:55 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby okcshoppers » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:41 pm

I love to buy used books online. When I hear of a great book or find a great one at the library that I would like for my own collection, it saves tons of time to look it up online...and I don't mind a used book at all. Once you buy something and bring it home and use it for a day...it becomes "used" anyway. :D
okcshoppers

Postby neverlandmall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:15 pm

Funny thing about Ebay. Before I buy anything, I usually check on Ebay first. I always look for New in the box, and check on shipping. You don't always get your product though. Sometimes you get robbed, sometimes you get a steal! *smiles*. I made a huge Ebay mistake once. My teenage daughter LOVES the product Dermafina & can't live w/out it. It became so popular that is sold out EVERYWHERE. I found it on Ebay and ordered about a dozen kits from different people only to receive them & they had expired. That was about a $250 mistake.
neverlandmall

Postby Ellen C. Braun » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:39 pm

Hi Lori,

I would buy anything but clothing on the Internet. I always need to try on my clothes because sometimes they look vastly different on the hanger than on me! :shock:
Ellen C. Braun
Elite Member

Postby neverlandmall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:20 pm

Ellen,
Just took a quick peek at your website. Are you setting people up to drop ship? I think women businesses rule! *smiles*
neverlandmall

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:19 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby neverlandmall » Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:23 pm

neverlandmall

Postby okcshoppers » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:15 am

I will usually spend a couple of extra dollars to get free shipping...it all depends on the pricing -- whether it would really save me money to buy another item -- if I have to spend another $10 above what I have already chosen just to get my free shipping...then I usually forgo the free shipping and save myself a couple of dollars. (My answer is kind of "wordy" -- hope I made some sense :? )
okcshoppers

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:46 am

I'm the same way - I'll usually throw in another item if I can find something I really want or need anyway... but if there's really nothing else I want on the site... I'll pay the shipping, no problem (before I buy something I'm not going to use).

The best way to "get me" in that situation is to make similar or related items VERY easy to add on. I love the way Amazon does that - as well as other sites I shop on (WalMart.com comes to mind).

The other day when I ordered the bass guitar from MusiciansFriend.com, the shipping was free. So I tacked on a tuner and an insurance package for the instrument & amp (might as well after saving so much on shipping!) ;)

Later I regretted not ordering a stand for the guitar while I was at it... they truly should have offered it to me at the time of order, I would have thrown that in too!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby neverlandmall » Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Great Feedback. That's funny, Lynn. Right now I am adding just what you talked about: suggested items that relate to the item. I Love that too & usually will buy something. I have some set up at http://www.neverlandmall.com but am working on adding some in every category.

Keep the posts coming: What would & what would you NOT buy on the internet?
neverlandmall

Next

Return to Home Office Talk