[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Laptop Recommendations? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Laptop Recommendations?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Laptop Recommendations?

Postby PattyGale » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:18 am

PattyGale

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:58 am

I have an HP that I got when they went on sale at Wal-Mart... and it's been a great machine. LOTS of use between me working and the kids carrying it off to lay across their bed and play games on :lol:

It's a Pavilion - one I got a year or so ago. Still going strong!

Actually, Wal-Mart.com has some HP's on clearance on their website right now, so you may want to look there too (in addition to checking out what's on sale at your local store, or other electronic stores):
(click electronics)

I got some desktop systems from Dell last year that I'm really (REALLY) pleased with, so I had looked at getting another laptop from them. I dont have any personal experience with their laptops, though... Check their site, too - because they post deals quite a bit: www.Dell.com
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby PattyGale » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:14 pm

PattyGale

Notebookreview.com

Postby webturtle » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:25 pm

My horrible Dell laptop finally died its final death and I had to replace it a couple months ago. I can't even begin to relate the 4 years of laptop hell I had with two different Dells - one of them alone had 3 bad hard drives and a dead motherboard in a 3 year span. So, personally, I can't recommend Dell.

I could never have made my decision without this site, - it is simply brilliant and there are so many reviews and opinions there, it will make your head spin! But, in the end, if you do your research, you can get a ton of good advice there.

I ended up with a Compaq and am still very happy with my decision. You can read my review .

Good luck!
webturtle

laptops

Postby paul mclaughlin » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:21 am

As an IT person for over 25 years I sympathise with you over the vast choice of laptops!

I've bought 100's of Dell laptops - all have been brilliant. However I do always pay for 3 year on site warranty so that the occasional hardware problem can be fixed at my convenience.

I've also bought Toshibas - they are rugged. One went across the Atlantic on a yacht and survived OK!

It's really a case of defining what you want the laptop to do now, and in a couple of year's time - when you may be thinking of upgrades etc.

My advice is treat it as a camera, washing machine etc. Go to a store and try one - you may hate the keyboard, love the screen, find it too heavy to carry around in your favourite bag etc. Often the power supplies and extra bits you may need make a laptop a bulky item to move.

Do you really want a laptop? Are you going to carry it around whereever you go? Or do you really just need to carry around your files? IF the latter use a USBpen/Digistick. Or, be clever and put all the info on your website space - all you need then is internet access.

Buying a PC rather than a laptop means a) the absolutely latest spec, b) cheaper.

Hope this helps.

Paul McLaughlin (also to be found on the fabulous turning ideas into dollars forums)
paul mclaughlin

Postby webturtle » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:08 am

webturtle

Postby PattyGale » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:48 am

Hi Paul..

Thank you for the advice. I've been doing more research this last week and you know... I'm not so sure if I really NEED a laptop. I saw those digi-sticks and a 40G digi-box over the weekend.

So, now I have my eye on either a HP Pavillion Desktop or the mini-tower business HP. I am big on data backups, so when I saw the digi-boxes that weren't much bigger than a deck of cards, I thought, "Wow! How cool is that!"

I could put the box in my purse at the end of the day, and if I needed to grab and go, then my data is right there". The hardware can be replaced much easier than the data.

I think I'm going to wait to see what HP offers for their holiday specials.

Patty
PattyGale

laptops or not

Postby paul mclaughlin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:08 am

Dear Patty

Glad to read that my thoughts have been helpful.

I've also clicked on your link and found some useful advice!

Keep in touch

Paul
paul mclaughlin

reply to webturtle's Dell problem

Postby paul mclaughlin » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:16 am

Hi,
Boy, can I sympathise!

I had the same trouble with an HP printer, absolute pig. And, yes, I've bought 100's of HP printers over the years too!

The bottom line is that you must make provision in case your main 'tool', be it computer, car or phone, completely breaks down.

For computers it may be you buy one that's a year or so old, put the minimum software on to let you do work, and put it in a cupboard.
So, it may be slow, less convenient than you usual one. But at least you can continue working!

Hope this helps all you kind readers there in Lynnland!
paul mclaughlin

Postby PattyGale » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:18 am

PattyGale

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:32 am

The main problem that I find is that the batteries just dont last. No matter how good you are about letting them die down all the way, then charging them fully - they still seem to lose their juice pretty quick. It turns out that you are "plugged in" most of the time you are on the laptop (or it always has for me) which means you arent as mobile as you had hoped you could be.

Another issue is that if something goes out (like the screen - which I had happen to laptops ago), then your whole system is down until you can get it repaired (which takes weeks usually - shipping it, waiting, then getting it shipped back).

I love my laptop, dont get me wrong. Especially when traveling or when I want to work outside for the afternoon. But I've decided my next investment is a super cool miniature leather swivel recliner with ottoman for my desk. I think it makes more sense (for me) to invest in that and have a comfortable work environment than it does to buy a system I can take to another comfy spot in the house.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby webturtle » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:38 pm

webturtle

Postby PattyGale » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:28 pm

PattyGale

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:35 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby webturtle » Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:17 pm

I desperately need a new office chair... don't even know where to start because I want to place my rear in one before I buy it and haven't located a local showroom with good stuff to chose from. What did you end up getting?
webturtle

Next

Return to Home Office Talk